“Best Japanese in Istanbul”
Review of ZUMA restaurant - MOVED

ZUMA restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bosphorus
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Keep calm, get ready to encounter the best ever Japanese food in town. Make sure to pre-book your best place near the Windows to Bosphorus and lean back.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was very curious about Zuma. I had read a review that marked it a one of the best Japanese restaurants in Europe. It was definitely a novelty in Istanbul. It was very busy on a Saturday night, probably because of the nightclub attached to it as much as the restaurant itself. The food was OK. If you have never had Japanese food, this is a gentle introduction to the cuisine. On the other hand if, like us, you are used to the wonderful sushi in Vancouver, perhaps give this a miss. There was nothing really bad about the sushi or sashimi, but it was very average. The tempura however was a different story. The batter would have been good for fish and chips; Tempura batter, it was not. Too heavy and greasy. The restaurant is expensive. The wine list is OK, but also expensive. The people watching was the best value here.

1  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Zuma Istanbul is a bad imitation of the London. It doesn't have whatsoever the air and atmosphere of the original one. The area upstairs more cozy than the main restaurant downstairs. The food is ok but not as exciting in London. The rib eye we ordered was not good at all. What really puzzled me is that the rate are very expensive and I think this is not fair when you compare labour cost and real estate values between uk and Turkey.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I've been to Zuma several times in summer and have enjoyed their terrace very much. I went there for a special occasion last week and dined indoors. Although it cannot be compared to the terrace, it still was a very good experience.
Our waitress was a bit snobbish/self-confident however service was still excellent.
They have very extensive cocktail menu and they are delicious. They have the best lychee martini in Istanbul. I would suggest you to try their cocktails.
Although it is an upscale restaurant, the atmosphere was still somehow laid back. I think mostly due to attitude of the waiters/waitresses and the musics.
I went there on Thursday night and majority of the crowd was foreigners and their Turkish business partners. Average age was around 40-45.
Their soft shell crab is to die for. It was super good. We shared some small plates to begin with then some sushi.
I also like their sushi - both nigiri and special rolls.
ı would stay away from the desserts. We tried 3 different plates. One of them was ok. The other 2 I just tasted and could not continue. I believe it is the asian cuisine in general that is different from my sweet taste.
Given the location, atmosphere, service and taste, I believe that Zuma is the best Japanese restaurant in Istanbul.
I would recommend Zuma especially for romantic and business dinners. If you will go there with a group of friends, make sure that they are open to trying new plates/tastes.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Ate here with two friends on Tuesday last and really enjoyed the experience.
It's dimly lit with groovy music and a very interesting 'Fusion' menu.
We had Sashimi and then Steaks. Absolutely fabulous.
I can't recommend this enough. It was just exactly right for the three of us and we all said we'd return the next time in Istanbul.
If your in the city for just one night - Go there!