“Dungeon Room”

Ranked #450 of 1,154 Hotels in Istanbul
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Dungeon Room”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel is wonderfully located between the Bazaar district and the Sultanahmet area. It is five minutes each way to both these star attractions of Istanbul. Unfortunately our room was tiny for the three of us and the window was blocked by a brick wall. We did not know whether it was day or night. Our double bed was small and bowed. It was not a sanctuary to return to and we preferred to rest in a local park than go back to our dungeon room! The staff were friendly but most had limited english. I would not book this hotel again unless I could be sure I had a room with a window!

Room Tip: make sure you get one with a window that has light outside it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank lthomson_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Location was great it was a 5/10 min walk to all the main attractions. 2 min walk to the metro line.

It was also a little out of the way so not too noisy. Though you could hear the mosque at pray time. However I don't think you can be in any hotel near the mosque and not hear it. It didn't disturb me, but it did wake my mate up in the morning.

Staff were very friendly and very helpful.

The breakfast was average. Nothing bad but nothing amazing.

Also we ordered a room for 3 people with 3 single beds, they upgraded us to a suite which was lovely but was a single and a double. Though the double was more of a superking so it wasn't bad but still not what we wanted

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Wijk bij Duurstede, Utrecht, Netherlands
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Me and my wife stayed in the Kupeli hotel for a city trip over weekend. The location of the hotel is very good for a touristic trip. It's in walking distance to many of the major landmarks, and close to the tram service. For example, the Great Bazaar, the Blue and Red Mosques and the Sultan's palace can all be reached with a ten minute walk.

The service was great too. The hotel staff had no problems answering our questions, helping with travel tips or taxi bookings, providing us with a possibility to store our luggage after check out or helping us with getting our airline boarding cards printed.

Considering breakfast (like WiFi) is included in the cheap rate it was what you can expect. Not very good, but good enough to not need to search for breakfast somewhere else.

The maintenance of the room was our biggest concern. The shower head hang loose, one of the storage cabinets had broken drawers and stood at an angle and the quality and size of the beds was bad. Especially the last part is something that is be troublesome for longer people like myself (6'2) or stays longer than a weekend.

Overall a hotel I would recommend for a short touristic trip, especially regarding the low price. 4 out of 5 for me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ricq
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The Kupeli Hotel was a great place to stay. We had limited time in Istanbul and didn't want to waste it on using public transport to get us around. Great location, within walking distance to all the major sites in Sultanahmet. Welcoming staff, recommended and booked for us a Bosphorous cruise and arranged our airport transfers. Great breakfast in the morning, lots of restaurants within a five minutes walk. The rooms were clean. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have had some shady experiences in Istanbul, some that would make a black hearted leprechaun blush, but one place stood out as honest and genuine and that was my hotel. I stayed here in February for four days on my first visit to Istanbul enjoying the central location of the hotel. The breakfast was excellent and the rooms comfortable. The only trouble one may have is the relative thinness of the walls should one have a noisy neighbor. Upon a return visit last week, I had made the gross oversight of not reserving a hotel before arriving during peak season. I was at the mercy of fate. I took a taxi from the airport to Sultanhamet and walked the streets looking for a hotel room, not having any luck. I happened to walk by this hotel and before I passed the window, the desk clerk came outside and greeted me, recognizing who I was from three months prior! This was quite a surprise, considering that I did not spend much time with them other than checking in or out. They gave me tea, offered me their hookah and told me I could hang out before going back out to find another room. They offered me a double bed room, even though it was only me, at a discounted rate for the night. They were very comforting and accomodating and genuinely kind. I thank them and wish them well. Especially Özgür Oguz, I hope you get your own hotel one day, thank you for picking me from the street and giving me a room for the night. You give Turks a good name.

Paul

Room Tip: Get a room in the back of the hotel if you don't want street noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Schiedam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 3, 2013

First of all, the location of the hotel is perfect. It is at walking distance from all the important touristic attractions. Those who prefer taking a taxi over walking and using public transport, could experience somewhat difficulties in finding the hotel, because it is located in one of the streets behind main street. The nearest public transport, the tram station Çemberlitas, is a five minute walk. I stayed in a triple room. The beds were just fine. I slept without any problems. The rooms were cleaned every day, including new sheets and bedpans. The toilet and bathroom were also really clean. For those who do not prefer living from their suitcase, there was plenty of room to store your belongings. The only downside to the room was that there was another building right in front of window, so we couldn't open it for fresh air. There was however air conditioning present in the room, so that really helped. The breakfast was simple but very enjoyable with different kinds of bread, meat products, jams, olives, eggs and traditional Turkish cheese. What liked best about my stay in this hotel is the service, kindness and above all the helpfulness of the workers. We checked in around 23.00. There I met Kemal and Oğuz. Kemal helped us with the suitcases and lead us to our rooms. Oğuz gave a few pieces of advice like the decision to use the safe for our money and passports. He also gave us the card of the hotel saying that we should give the card to people like the police in case they ask for our passport/ID's they could contact the hotel. They usually worked nightshifts. During daytime we were helped by Ismail and Özgür. All of these gentlemen constantly inquired about how we were and whether we had a good time. They gave us recommendations about what to do and where to go. At night we spent a lot of time, sitting in front of the hotel, so the guys constantly offered us something to drink, eat, water-pipe etc. Mr. Bülent, the manager of the hotel, is also very kind-hearted, warm and helpful. I do not have any complaints about this hotel nor the service. I'll be visiting Istanbul again in August and I will definitely stay at this hotel again. You exactly get what you pay for, maybe even more. I could be writing many things about why you should come to the wonderful city of Istanbul and stay at this amazing hotel, but you really have to experience it yourself!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Treviso, Italy
Reviewed May 2, 2013

It's close to the main attraction, (a 5 minutes walk to reach Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque, but we can easily walk to all the main attractions), is very comfortable. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere warm. Like being at home. The breakfast is delicious! A bit noisy perhaps, beacuse you really are in the heart of the city

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side are quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends