“There are better places”
Review of Hacibaba Restaurant - CLOSED

Hacibaba Restaurant
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beyoglu
Reviewed November 17, 2011

the restaurant is in the main shopping street of the district. It was recommended by a collegue who lived in Istanbul and we thought the comments we read on this site were too negative, so we gave it a try. The place is mediocre, not particularly nice inside and it gives a bit the idea of an organized canteen.
Waiters are kind and nice, prices are not oo high if compared to Europe, but food is not worth. Starters are in a buffet, but none of the things we tried left a positive mark. There is a good choice of vegetables, but nothing compared to the usual starters paradise you have in Istambul. Main courses are average. Some of the Kebabs we ordered were not bad, but as said, average.
I would not recommend to go, unless you are in the district and do not want to take a taxi to go towards better places.

There are newer reviews for Hacibaba Restaurant

Reviewed August 25, 2011

A nice and clean place to have your lunch or dinner, 2 mins walk from Taksim Square, delicious dishes, very good service, reasonable prices. It was not the first time that I visited this restaurant, but every time I find the dishes just perfect. I love this place.

2  Thank LilaTses
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Ate here on the recommendation of our hotel staff. Food was quite good, although it was pre-prepared cafeteria style food hidden back in the kitchen. My daughter is anaphylactic to nuts so I had a warning about this prepared in Turkish. Our waiter read it, said no problem for her any food, and proceeded to serve chicken salad with walnuts. Luckily one of our group ate this first and noted the nuts. WE called the manager who was horrified. Our waiter insisted that it was not a problem because the nuts were very small. This was our only bad such experience in nearly one week in Istanbul, so I can only conclude that this was an aberration. Still, watch out.

Reviewed May 26, 2011

Though it came recommended by Turkish friends, this restaurant was really disappointing. Looks and feels like a big gloomy cafeteria packed with coach loads of tourists being fed set meals. For individual diners, the food was expensive, greasy and the lamb was so overcooked you could resole your shoes with it. This was easily our worst eating experience In Istanbul.

Reviewed May 5, 2011

We were reccommended to visit this restaurant by friends who had enjoyed a nice meal there on occasion. There were locals, however, and this probably accounted for their different experience to our own. It appears that at this restaurant, tourists whether in a group or individual as we were, are treated with little respect or hospitality. We felt like just a source of income and no more; ushered in, seeated in a noisy part of the restaurant, and given a tatty menu where dishes are listed in English as 'soup of the day' with little reference to a Turkish menu. Asking for a lentil soup 'Mercimek' I was presented with a thin watery soup that tasted like chicken broth - a far cry from any traditional Turkish soup we had had elsewhere. The bread that accompanied our meal resembled more of a dry french stick cut up than a turkish bread. When I questioned the soup, the indifferent waiter rudely responded that it was indeed what I had requested and strutted off to another table. Our main meals came quickly but looked and tasted as if they had beed reheated with some stale chips on the side, all very oily and with little flavour. Unless you are with a local Turkish person I would reccommend you try elsewhere.

1  Thank nztoworld