“reliable but cheap”
Review of Metro Taschkent

Metro Taschkent
Ranked #1 of 89 things to do in Tashkent
Reviewed May 16, 2013

tashkand metro is a reliable, comfortable and cheap way of travel in the capital. it is on time , not crowded, and covering most parts of the city. the ticket is uniform(800 soums) for everywhere in the city and much cheaper as compared to taxy. the stations are open , the decor is beautiful and seating / carriages quite comfortable. recommended for all tourists.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Tashkent Metro is cheap, efficient and easy to use. Although it's not a huge system, it serves pretty much everywhere you'd want to go as a tourist in the city. All journeys cost 800 soum, which I think is less than 20cents. Just go to the kasse and buy tokens. Expect to have your bag searched if it's biggish and carry your passport in case you're asked for it by police. I'm told a copy should usually be ok, but my Uzbek/Russian isn't up to discussing it, so I use the original. Lonely Planet says police try to get bribes off foreigners, but that's never happened to me, or anyone I know. Some of the stations are pretty impressive inside, but you aren't allowed to take photos.

1  Thank geckozo
Reviewed March 29, 2013

While this is not amazing public transportation by any means, you must ride the Tashkent metro at least once! For transportation, it does cover a fairly extensive distance and is prompt, clean, inexpensive and easy to navigate. The really interesting parts, though, are the Soviet era murals and mosaic artwork and even the police checkpoints. You should definitely have your passport with you, but the police are very courteous and efficient. My favorite station is Kosmonatov -- with fantastic mosaic murals of Soviet astronauts -- worth a visit on its own!

1  Thank whirledtraveler_12
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Our tourist guide proposed to pay a visit to the old metro and she was right. Some central stationed that we saw were like museums of local art. Unfortunately it is forbiden to take fotos (?) so I can not share my experience, only suggest an underground trip!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I spent 1 day in the metro stopping at every stop to view the halls. They are all different from one another. My favourite is ASTRONAUT stop.
Unfortunately it is not possible to take pictures.
Metro is extremely safe, plenty of police all of the time also at the exit (4 police at the 4 exits for each metro stop)

1  Thank Tajikat