“best in local food”
Review of Caravan

Caravan
Ranked #2 of 243 Restaurants in Tashkent
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2014

typical local restaurant, managed by a big chains of restaurants.. nice food. service. all excellent . nice atmosphere

There are newer reviews for Caravan

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I recently had dinner with friends at the Caravan. I had not been there for seven years. My memories of the place were pleasant, so on the first night with our friends from Canada, I treated them to dinner there.
We ordered many different Uzbek dishes, from samsa to manti, and various salads and local dishes.
The restaurant has an English menu, which made it easy for our friends to order, and the staff spoke English.
But the wine selection was limited, with only expensive imported wines. No local wine was available.
Some dishes were tasty, while others were not.
In particular, the samsi, and the manti were served cold, and they had to be returned for heating.
The cheese assortment was not as advertised, parmesan, but an inexpensive local cheese.
Actually, the cheese plate had to be returned, because of a cleanliness issue.
The cost for 4 persons was exaggerated, at 120 dollars, considering the food quality.
The service was not exceptional, but marginal, considering the prices.
Overall, I was not impressed with the place, where I had better experiences in the past.
There are better restaurants in Tashkent, within that price range.

1  Thank Robert P
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

This is certainly not a restaurant where the food is original uzbek but veers more towards middle eastern/mediteranean. The samsas are like having a spinach pie. The havarts salad is very tasty but is rather a babaganoush. The pie with tomato coriander ans cheese is far too cheesy and exceptionally overpriced so tastes like a panini. I have not had the usual uzbek dishes at caravan but from those starters I suspect they are going to be westernised. I must admit I struggle with the amount of meat uzbeks consume but when I go to such a dear restaurant I expect originality rather than meeting with efforts to please the foreigners.

1  Thank psychokat
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The restaurant was nice and the food ok ,but what you pay for a half decent meal here,puts a dent in the rating .

1  Thank aboudi
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This kind of restaurant is very expensive, but creative embodyment of native culture and cuisine. But I would recomend another places to meet the Uzbek culture, such as little cafes and local "Chayhona" places (take enterpreter with you, as you should be ready to meet people who do not know English at all), while in Caravan you can speak in English fluenly, and meet high level service.