“Will happily return to the Oguzkent”
Review of Oguzkent Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashgabat
Oguzkent Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Ashgabat
London, United Kingdom
“Will happily return to the Oguzkent”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

While I have travelled extensively in Central Asia this was my first visit to Ashgabat. The hotel is opulent and looks fantastic from the outside with fountains and water features. The lobby is equally as impressive.
Despite some worrying reviews that I read before my visit the staff are friendly, rooms are great and there was no brown water and the wifi worked. The bar food was limited in choice but good in quality
Improvements could be made though. No ironing or coffee making facilities and the breakfast in such a top end hotel was disappointing. Also despite averaging an occupancy rate of 29% some of the service was very slow, especially in the bar. The biggest problem for me though was the hotel only accepts Visa, while I own a Mastercard. Fortunately my travelling companions were able to help out
All in all a pleasant stay and not far from top marks. I'll happily come back again, with a Visa card!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
OGUZKENT, General Manager at Oguzkent Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking time to share your recent experience you have had at Sofitel Oguzkent Ashgabat.
I am very pleased to hear that you appreciate our friendly personnel and that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
Thank you for pointing on few things that we will be definitely trying to improve.
Regarding the Master Card, unfortunately it is not yet accepted for the payment in the country, due to the bank system but as you mentioned, we are more than happy to accept the American Express and the Visa cards for the payments.
We hope to welcome you back in Sofitel Oguzkent Ashgabat in the nearest future.

Denis Le Nohaic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Like so many buildings in Ashgabat, this hotel is over the top. It confers a sense of grandeur in a surreal kind of way. I have experienced a consistently high level of service during my stays - at the front desk, restaurants and bar. The quality and variety of food is good. My rooms have been very white, spacious, well appointed, with grand bathrooms, and great views. Bedding not as comfortable as it should be for a Sofitel (pillows bulky, doona hot). Internet ok. The large outside and indoor swimming pools are fantastic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
OGUZKENT, Manager at Oguzkent Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

It is a great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Oguzkent Sofitel Ashgabat.
I am delighted to hear that you appreciated our high level of service, as we are putting a lot of effort into the trainings of our personnel, enjoyed our spacious and well-appointed rooms with the great views, variety of food that we are offering in our restaurants, Spa facilities.
We hope to welcome you back in the nearest future and we will continue our effort to meet all your expectations.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Booking:
The hotel looks like it's booked out if your search Accor or hotel site- it's not. Contact the hotel directly and there is plenty of availability.
Reception
Staff are very good- good English and very helpful and efficient.
Lobby is very clean and very opulent.
Rooms:
Rooms are big and spacious & well appointed. Bathroom has heated floor and towel rail. Free wifi throughout the hotel.
The room does not have an iron and ironing board - but it is promptly delivered to your room on asking. There is no tea or coffee making facilities- but if you ask a kettle and cups are brought to your room- you do have to pay for tea and coffee but there is a supermarket near by.
The difference between a superior room and a luxury room is the view and really not worth it.
Near by:
Walking distance to restaurants, cafe and supermarket. Museums and grand government buildings.
Food at hotel:
Food st the bar and middle eastern restaurant was nice and well priced. The French restaurant had great views but food was average and the prices were very expensive.
Concierge service
Needs major improvement.
We got the concierge to help with hiring drivers for day trips.
The first driver we got spoke some English but had a car with no back seat belts or air conditioning- given that it averages 35 degrees not very comfortable.
We then had the concierge hire a driver for a two day trip - to include an overnight and night viewing of the Dervaza well. This was all confirmed by concierge. We agreed on a price that is about 50% of a management monthly salary for the trip- so by Turkmenistan standards we paid a generous amount. We checked out of the hotel for one night & set out on our trip. 2 hours into our trip we get a call from concierge - it's not an overnight trip & the conditions seem to have changed. Seriously are these guys for really we are the customer, we have paid a generous amount & we are being told the conditions have changed- when we tell concierge this- he tells us he is only a concierge not a tour operator. So not acceptable.
You can not take people's money and not deliver on a service it's not acceptable we were very clear on what we wanted from this trip.
My advice use reception and avoid the disorganised and no care and no responsibility of the concierge service.
Driver:
If you are looking for a good driver with excellent service but no English I would highly recommend Yazgeldi ph: 654295. Very clean, air conditioned car. He is very helpful and a doctor. He even invited us to his home for a meal- we were humbled by his kindness and hospitality.
Great hotel but service level overall must improve.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IAmAGlobalNomad
OGUZKENT, General Manager at Oguzkent Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive comments on the Trip Advisor and all the time and enthusiasm you have shown in describing our property.
The comments of our Guests are the best source of the information for the future improvement.
I was glad to hear that you enjoyed our spacious and well-appointed rooms, free internet access throughout the hotel, nice food and Restaurants, great location.
Thank you very much for bringing my attention on the quality of the service of Concierge Team. The training of the personnel is one of our main goals. I will share your comment with our Training and Quality Specialist who will organize the follow up with the team involved.
Once again thank you for sharing you experience with us.
We will be more than happy to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed May 2, 2014

The hotel is very smart, almost ostentatious in its appearance and room decor but unfortunately that's a bout as good as it gets.
Rooms are quit large with good amount of storage space a desk an array of plug points and a lovely bathroom with nice showers and bath. The bed and bedding is lovely, just as you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The mini bar is a joke. 3 cans of pop, a water and a beer! Where are the selection or chocolates, nibbles, peanuts, crisps etc. Also no wines, or spirits. My room didn't even have a bottle opener so I couldn't drink the one bottle of beer anyway. When I asked for one I did get it that evening however. The room didn't even have a kettle with tea coffee etc(1st ever 5 star hotel not to provide this). When I asked for one and a selection of tea bags and coffee it finally arrived second time of asking the following day. I returned to the room to find a kettle 2 tea bags,1 sachet of coffee and a bill for 12 manats(4.20 euros) Are you kidding me? I had a few days where my room wasn't serviced during the stay. When it was it was done ok although they don't Hoover very often as one night I dropped a small piece of Pringles on the floor and it was there for 5 days.
Food is very limited for a 5 star hotel. Bar food is a small menu, not very exciting, little choice and I thought rather small portions. The Turkish Restarunt is ok. The food varies in its quality but not bad. The French restaurant is expensive and not really that good for the price. You pay for the view! I found the breakfast average at best. The fruit selection is good and appears fresh. The hot selection is limited and is the same 6 things every day. Other selections are limited and the bread always appears stale.i had been there a week before I was offered a coffee or fresh juice.
The service in this hotel is quit poor. Some staff are friendly enough and helpful but on the whole I found the staff miserable and not helpful and at times one or two staff bordering on being rude particularly in the lifeless bar. One day I approached a man in a suit at the concierge desk who was playing with his phone. He saw me approach him then used his phone again. After a while I said excuse me can you help me. He grunted and pointed towards the reception desk. I said "no I would like help from the concierge" he grunted and pointed again then said "I'm security" . Well be security then, don't stand behind a big sign that says " Concierge"! All in all the staff have long faces and all look like they can't wait to end their shift.
The gym is very average for a large hotel and I didn't bother with the spa at the outrageous prices for treatments.
The pool is large but very unappealing. There are no staff by the pool. Never have I arrived to be given a fresh towel or offered a drink, iced towel or to see a menu like every other descent hotel I've stayed in. There aren't even any umbrellas for shade. Just a dozen beds with dirty cushions.
All in all if there was another option of an international standard hotel in the city I would try it. The experience is not likely to be worse!!!

Room Tip: A room at the front is better due to building noise near the pool area but be warned you will be ask...
1 Thank Jason A
OGUZKENT, General Manager at Oguzkent Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to express your personal opinion regarding Sofitel Oguzkent Ashgabat.
The comments of each Guest are very important for us and we are taking for the consideration each point you have mentioned on the Trip Advisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed our large room, bathroom with the unique rain shower.
Regarding the tea and coffee facilities, we are looking already into this.

I was surprised to hear that your room had not been cleaned for two days, as we never had any complaints from our Guests before.

In order for us to learn more and to improve our services you are more than welcome to contact our Guest Relations Department on H8213-GR@sofitel.com

Meanwhile, we will be looking closer into the points that you have mentioned with the Departments involved in order to improve and continue to provide the best customer service to all our Guest.

We will be more than happy to welcome you back in the nearest future.

NEWCASTLE
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed recently at this hotel the rooms were nice but the last two days I was there I received NO maid service, not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel. The food in all the restaurants was average at best. Service was also only average. The hotel itself is very nice but was not 5 in service or quality.

2 Thank XYZZLoomis
Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel for quite some time and I am also a platinum Sofitel member there is never any recognition or benefits given at the hotel upon arrival. The hotel has good sized rooms and are comfortable but the hot water can be hit and miss also the water is an awful brown/yellow color. The TV in the room is not worth switching on unless you like to watch the news as there are no other English speaking options bring your own entertainment.
The food in the hotel is not up to the standard of the rest of the hotel the menus are poor and the options are not very exciting. The Bar down stairs has some of the most miserable staff i have ever come across in my life. The breakfast is also not up to the standard I would expect from a Sofitel or any other 5 star hotel the selection is quite poor and not very appetizing even at 6:30 am when the place opens the food looks tired with few things to excite. I normally look forward to breakfast in hotels but this is not the case here.

Room Tip: try the shower upon arrival as I have had many rooms with brown cold water
1 Thank kingskin
OGUZKENT, General Manager at Oguzkent Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Oguzkent Ashgabat and on this occasion taking the time to express your opinion about our hotel on the Trip Advisor.

Comments of each Guest are really important for us and we will take in account all yours notes.

I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious and comfortable rooms.

Regarding the water, this is the first time I hear about the quality of the water. We never had any complaints from the Guests before, although I will pass your comment to our Maintenance Manager, in order to investigate where this issue came from.

It was very sad and surprised to learn that you found the service in Le Bar very poor. As we are very much quality orientated in Sofitel, our “Ambassadors” are receiving a lot of trainings in the area of attitude, customer service and appearance. We will try even harder to improve after your comment.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the Sofitel Oguzkent Ashgabat and to show you our professionalism and personalized service.

I look forward to your next visit and remain at your disposal,

Munich, Germany
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has surprised me positively in many aspects. I would like to mention large rooms, nice and fresh look, friendly staff, nice top floor restaurant with a very nice view, more than ok breakfast, nice pool area.
I can only hope that they get more guests as very few people are at the hotel

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
OGUZKENT, General Manager at Oguzkent Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the very nice comment you have made on the Trip Advisor.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our large rooms, restaurants, Spa and swimming pool area.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in Sofitel Oguzkent Ashgabat.