“Opulent and ostentatious”
Review of Oguzkent Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashgabat
Oguzkent Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Ashgabat
Ithaca, New York
“Opulent and ostentatious”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is probably the most overtly ostentatious hotel that I have stayed in. It reflects the appearance of the city, not to my taste but it is what it is.
The rooms are large, well-appointed and very comfortable: appropriate for a hotel with a 5-star rating. Needed an iron and weighing scale and the items were brought to my room, no problem.
The rooftop restaurant has a fabulous view, the dinner was pretty good.
Breakfast was high quality too with good choices.
The biggest bonus was the spa. I treated myself to a pre-flight visit before departure and was really impressed by the warm, friendly skilled and professional staff. Surprisingly reasonable rates,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Oguzkent8213, General Manager at Oguzkent Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the comment you have made on the Trip Advisor.
I was happy to read that you enjoyed our large and comfortable rooms, La Table Restaurant on the 15th floor with the panoramic view over the city.
It was a great to hear that you had a chance to visit So Spa and really enjoyed our friendly and professional personnel working to create an atmosphere of a great comfort and relaxation.

We will be more than happy to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Sincerely yours,
Jean Cadars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I am just back from this hotel having stayed there twice, I have never been disappointed by the staff or the hotel itself,rooms are very clean and tidy and spacious, lovely views of the city, food is very good, alcohol is expensive as you would expect, I think the alcohol was far too expensive but it is what it is.The City is lovely all the lights at night give it an awesome scene,

Room Tip: Any room facing the city, all the rooms are quite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Oguzkent8213, General Manager at Oguzkent Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read such a positive feedback as yours.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the service in Oguzkent Sofitel Ashgabat, our spacious rooms with the lovely view over the city, our cuisine.
All our alcoholic beverages are imported products- this fact unfortunately affects the price for the alcohol drinks.
We will be happy to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Sincerely yours,
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Room was large, but nothing special. Service was very unfriendly. Food was average yet extremely expensive. Drink selection was pitiful.

Given the location in Ashgabat, it's a nice hotel. Compared to most other hotels in nicer cities, easily a 3-star.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Oguzkent8213, General Manager at Oguzkent Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for all your comments. It was very sad and surprised to learn that our service is very unfriendly. As we are very much quality orientated in Sofitel, our “Ambassadors” are receiving a lot of trainings in the area of attitude, customer service and appearance. We will try even harder to improve after your comment.

Regarding the rooms, most of our Guests are very happy with their stay. They appreciate the space, which is a rare pleasure in Europe nowadays.

In order to provide fresh and quality food in our Food and Beverage outlets, majority of the food and drink that we are using are imported, that affects the prices and the variety in the restaurants.

We are looking forward to welcome you next time in Sofitel Oguzkent Ashgabat.

Yours Sincerely,
mashhad
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

In my last visit from ashghabat i stayed in this hotel .with my experience of ashghabat hotels it was unbelivable that this hotel compiting with best 5*hotels in dubai.the ashghabat city has changed to a new modern city .forget
All you have heared before from ashghabat and its hotels .try to go there and know the kind and warm turkmen people there.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank yashamashhad
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to read such a positive feedback as yours. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed Sofitel Oguzkent. It is a best complement for us to be recognized as the one of best hotels in Ashgabat.
We will be happy to welcome you back on your next visit to Ashgabat.

Yours Sincerely
Novosibirsk
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel two times in October 2012 for business.

First of all this is the first 5* hotel in my life and my first word when I entered the hotel was just WOW. The hall and all the space inside... It was really impressive and breathtaking. I wanted just to walk around and examine the details of the interior. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated, and the bathroom was also spacious, both with shower and a bathtub. Everything was new. TV in the bathroom - great decision! I just turned on the music channel (btw Russian!) and enjoyed!))

The service was just ok, to be honest nothing extraordinary. For instance in Thailand even in 3* hotel we felt much warmer welcome, like they are really happy to see me every morning and every single time I entered the hotel (how do they do this :)) But here it felt like it was just their job to smile and to be helpful and when they come home they think oh thanks God, I finally don't have to smile to anyone (this is just my feeling and i can be mistaken).

The reception was quite slow, check-in at the second arrival took us about half an hour (there were 6 of us). After the flight it wasn't pleasant at all... We were not offered any drinks/ coffee/tee during that time. I don't know why but ladies registered my colleagues-men before me though I was the first to enter the hotel and approach the reception so that I was finally the last to be registered and my colleagues had to wait for me.

No iron in the room, but it was brought upon my request.

Breakfast was again just ok, nothing interesting. The hotel managers may want to add more sorts of fish, from Caspian Sea for instance, salmon, also I missed porrigies and fruites. But of cource I assume that in Turkmenistan It can be rather difficult to organize food variety...

In general it was comfortable and memorable stay, and I've taken several photos in this hotel. :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Melenyu
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for the comment you have made on the Trip Advisor.
I was happy to hear that you were impressed with the hotel interior design and that you enjoyed our spacious and beautifully decorated rooms.

Regarding the service, first of all I would like to thank you for pointing on some details that we will be trying to improve.
During the year we are constantly having the trainings in all the departments in order to improve the customer service for the Guest satisfaction.

Concerning the Breakfast, we will be passing your comment to our Chef regarding the fish assortment, although right now we have a large assortment of the fresh fruit on our buffet for breakfast and the porridge is available on request.

Once again, thank you for your comment.
We will be more than happy to welcome you in the nearest future in Sofitel Oguzkent Ashgabat.

Yours Sincerely
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is a perfect hotel, covered with Italian marble like everything in the heart of the city--in a country where the per capita income is 280USD per month. The women sweeping the streets with a broom will never see the inside of this palace. There is a cop on every block, cameras for security on every corner of the buildings. We stayed here three days and where are the people? No lights on in the buildings at night--it's phony, sterile like all of Ashgabat. That being said, everything in the room is perfect--flat screen TV while you take a tub bath--flawless fixtures, tastefully decorated but so over the top as to be obscene when you have spent over 3 weeks in Central Asia, watching people bring home sticks on donkey carts to heat their homes. I feel guilty, but our tour group stayed here. The hotel is 5 star in every way.

Room Tip: The rooms are probably all spectacular
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank garlec
Oguzkent8213, General Manager at Oguzkent Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the comment you have made on the Trip Advisor.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Sofitel Oguzkent Ashgabat and consider it as a perfect hotel.
We are looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Yours sincerely,