“Nice setting, slow service”

Marco Polo Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 122 Restaurants in Dushanbe
Cuisines: Afghani, European, Middle Eastern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bangkok
“Nice setting, slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

After reading the reviews I realise that probably the food in other restaurants in Dushanbe probably is mediocre otherwise nobody would be so enthusiastic about the Marco Polo. Seating is either in grotto style interior or pleasant outside. Our party of 12 had a table near the waterfall, the dishes were ordered in advance in order not to lose too much time. The taste of the food was good but nothing too special, we had appetizers and the Marco Polo plate with several kind of meat, difficult to say whether a piece of the famous Marco Polo goat was among it. The service was attentive but so slow!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank kilovolt500

• Turkish first
“Marco Polo is amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went to Marco Polo as it was recommended to my by some friends on my visit to Dushanbe. It was some of the best food I have had at a restaurant! The design truly makes you feel like you are at a 5 star restaurant and the food is something I will be talking about for years!

Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Khalid A
Nanuet, New York
“Great find in Dushanbe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I spent almost 3 weeks in Dushanbe for work in July. The restaurant food was mediocre until I found Marco Polo. Actually recommended by another contractor who had eaten there. The food was OUTSTANDING! I ended up eating there 3 nights in a row. Cheese plate with a cup of honey to dip it into, never had that in NY but it was very tasty and do it here at home now. Loved the decor and the cave theme inside. Nice COLD beer which is tough to find sometimes in Dushanbe. Ate with a group of 4 and tried many different items on the menu, nothing not worth eating. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Met the owner and chatted a bit, spent many years in the States. Great guy, very friendly. If I ever go back for work it will definitely be my go to spot!

3 Thank Ed D
Dublin, California
“Amazing New Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I would have to say this restaurant passed all my expectations! The design of the restaurant is beautiful with detailed design. The service was superb and the food was uniquely great. I would recommend this place for anyone visiting or living there. I will definitely go back there once I'm back in the area!

3 Thank Sarah S
Newark, California
“Quality that surpasses international standards!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

First, let me say that the place itself is breathtaking. A unique and wonderful setting as soon as you walk in that make it feel that you just walked into a glorious cave. The outdoor terrace is very nicely done and a very private feel away from the street.

The Afghan food here was delicious. The teka kebab I ordered was extremely soft and juicy that made my mouth water for more. The potato Bolani was actually quite filling for the appetizer. To top it all off, I had their homemade New York style cheesecake which made me order a second one.

The staff all speak very fluent English and the owner is American, would highly recommend it to anyone in Dushanbe.

3 Thank Nabil A