“Time for a change”

Morning Star Cafe
Ranked #82 of 130 Restaurants in Dushanbe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've been visiting Morning Star for a few years now and not much has changed over that time except for the fact that they have continued to push up prices out of line with the rest of the eating establishements in Dushanbe. As a result, you can now pay for a sandwich lunch there and have had a proper cooked meal for the same price in several of the other newer and plusher restaurants in the city.
I like the 'backpacker' atmosphere and its nice to be away from the city centre but its time to get real and price accordingly. I'd also love them to upgrade the toilet facilities...!

1  Thank scud56
There are newer reviews for Morning Star Cafe

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I'm a regular as it is near my office and convenient for business lunches. The meals are reasonably good, but the main thing here is the desserts. Coffee is freshly roasted, but unless you order espresso, comes from the filter machines, not the espresso machine. Watch out for the price on double-espressos (ouch!) Open 8am-5pm Mon-Fri plus 8-11am Sat. They also do catering for events and special cakes to order.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Not really one of my favorites, although I have to be honest and say that the omelette's are not that bad at all. But this place has some religious, American feel behind it and I just don't like it. The coffee is nothing too special, but there is reasonable internet!

Reviewed June 29, 2012

The first time I visited Morning Star Cafe was after my initial arrival to Dushanbe, and I found the food to be soggy and not tasty (I had a greek wrap) and expensive for Tajikistan. The service was extremely slow and poor. Nonetheless, after a month of working in Tajikistan, I decided to give Morning Star another chance, but now I had more restaurants/cafes to compare it to. Unfortunately, the food and service was just as bad, if not worse, the second time. I had a chicken quesadilla, which was just a soggy wrap and shredded chicken, nothing more, and a below average latte for a grand total of $7, which is very expensive for Tajikistan.

Morning Star tries too hard to be an American cafe, but falls very short on every level, from the prices to the food to the service. The only thing the cafe has going for itself is that for some odd reason (or lack of alternatives), ex-pats frequent the place. However, if you are in Dushanbe for a short amount of time, I wouldn't bother visiting this place. Go to Segafredo Zanetti Espresso cafe instead.

4  Thank WanderlustV
Reviewed June 21, 2012

An all time favorite for me and my family in Dushanbe. We visit it on a weekly basis! Great choice of american style food. Fabulous Saturday brunch options. Delicious cakes. Wifi. Dynamic and friendly staff. Children friendly. Good prices. A choice of local handicrafts for gift making. What can I say, it has it all! Just one regret: it is not open on Sunday.

1  Thank pascalebratislava