“The only hotel I have ever refused to stay in!”
Review of Colombo City Hotel

Colombo City Hotel
Ranked #61 of 148 Colombo B&B and Inns
London
“The only hotel I have ever refused to stay in!”
Reviewed March 15, 2011

The hotel website is misleading. It makes the hotel out to be a effecient business hotel so I was expecting clean, quite basic but great service. The hotel was way below my expectations.
We were in the hotel for less than an hour before we left and went to stay somewhere else. I have never had cause to refuse to stay in a hotel before.
The reception staff were rude and took a long while to check us in while arguing amoungst themselves and answering the phone before giving us a key and saying 'You can go'. The only rude staff in Sri Lanka.
The lift, room and reception smelt bad like they hadn't been cleaned for ages.
The porter only carried one bag, scowled at us and then hung around for a tip.
The room was very basic. The walls were covered in dirty marks and it smelt bad.
The bathroom was really dirty. The floor and walls had not been cleaned and the bin wasn't empty from the previous guests.
The air con did not appear to work.
The corridors were dirty and noisy and there were loads of people hanging around and you couldn't tell if they were staff or not. We went to look at the rooftop restaurant and bar and there were loads of men hanging around who just stared at us. I think they were staff but they were don't doing anything.
Reception told us that it would take more than two days to do laundy because it was after 5 on Friday but the laundry list in the room said next day service. (Even the laundry list was dirty, one scrappy piece of paper with the wrong prices on it).
The room key was also dirty and had the wrong number on it.

I know this sounds picky but I want to express that there wasn't one good thing apart from maybe the location. Everything about the hotel was substandard for the cost of the room. It was not up to the standard of a travelodge or other basic hotel but they were charging $100 per night.

Every other hotel we stayed at in Sri Lanka (another 6 hotels) had great friendly staff and a warm welcome whatever the price range.

This hotel was horrid through and through.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Montpellier, France
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I wanted to book a room in this hotel. Since there is no online booking system, I sent them an email. I was replied that rooms were available and the only way to book was to send my credit card details by email...
Find below a copy-paste of their answer :
'Please note that most hotels are full during this period, so if you need a confirmed reservation we need an advance payment. Otherwise reservation willl be on a tentative basis.
If you can send us your credit card details we can reserve you the room.
We require the following for same:
Name as it appears in the card, the number, type of card wheather master or visa, date of expiry, and cv number, (This is the last 3 digits appearing on the reverse of your card) and issuing bank.

I replied that it was not a secure way of payment and I did not book. No answer received.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Colombo hotels

kuala lumpur
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Stayed 3 nights at the Colombo City. Location is fantastic and service was quite good. Room was quite clean; however bathroom seemed to have a roach problem. Numerous small roaches crawling around every time I would step in. Never noticed any roaches in the room, only in the bathroom. If they could sort out this problem I would recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed February 28, 2011

They give false advertising and false discounts. They just grab money. All what they say is fake. If you want to spend all the money you took, you can stay in this hotel they will grab money for each minute.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Genève
Reviewed February 21, 2011

The hotel is well located, clean and comfortable (check out the rooms before chosing one as quality is not equal), but rather impersonal and expensive (90 USD/night, whereas a well-known guidebook says 35 USD/night). For half of the price, you can enjoy a peaceful night at the beautiful and welcoming Garden Guest House (certainly less central but a tuk-tuk ride to Pettah will cost you around SLR 300).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I recently stayed in Colombo City Hotel in room 305, the accomodation was fairly good with a cean toilet and tidy room. However, the problem surfaced after few days when the credit card company called me up to state that some one was trying to misuse my card and therfore are blocking it from further usage.

I have used this card only at Colombo City Hotel to pay my accomodation. Thankfully because of my Banks deligence they averted a major rip off.

Please do not use Credit Cards in this hotel. Otherwise the hotel stay was fairly good. I wouldnt like to blame the entire hotel for the fraud some reception boys(??) are responsible for. I hope the management takes a serious note of this.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank WesleyJdaniel
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Hotel location is good. just opposite to World Trade Center.

Below were the issues faced by me:

Room is very small in size. Room is not cleaned when we are not in room. Mosquito, lizards and cockroach are there in room (no care is taken after complain also).
Laundry given still I have not received after giving multiple reminders. Seems they have lost somewhere. Hotel guy is coming with some other cloths and taking confirmation. Towels are not changed on daily basis. As per management one towel is given for 2 – 3 days. I was shock to hear that. Bath water is not clean and it is stinking when we take bath, live demo is given to hotel manager. Room service is not proper.
Veg Food is very difficult to have at any time i.e breakfast, lunch or dinner.

My Dear friends request you to check before checking in this hotel. had a bad nightmare

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business