“Outstanding service and a wonderful dining experience”

The Bavarian German Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #28 of 556 Restaurants in Colombo
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Pub, Central European
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Located in the heart of Colombo, a true European Pub with great food, large portions and cheap beer and drinks
Melbourne, Australia
“Outstanding service and a wonderful dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I am from overseas and have eaten at this restaurant several times and have had a consistently positive experience. The layout provides a cosy atmosphere for groups and also has a festive feel. I usually order the chef's suggestions and the food I have eaten has always been of excellent quality with generous portion sizes. The range of drinks available from the bar is also great and I recommend the mojitos and cocktails which are refreshing and delicious, particularly with Colombo's humid climate. When I recently went to The Bavarian the bartender remembered what I had drunk the previous night without me having to ask which added a personal touch.

On a final note I found the prices of the meals and drinks very reasonable considering the quality and quantity of what I received. Management went above and beyond to ensure my friends and I enjoyed ourselves at The Bavarian.

This restaurant is a must for foreigners and locals alike.

• Visited September 2013

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The service left a worse taste in our mouths than the chocolate mousse served here!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Having read numerous rave reviews of this restaurant (mainly on trip advisor) My husband, our 11 year old son and I decided to dine here on our last evening in Colombo.
We were disappointed.

The food was average at best. We ordered sausages, potato wedges, fried chicken, brownies and chocolate mousse. How could you possibly go wrong with this selection you ask? Trust me you can! The sausages can arrive over cooked and tasteless, the chocolate mousse unset, artificial tasting with a drizzle of bright pink goo that look like cough syrup... you get the picture.
The service was hurried and offensive to say the least. Let me explain.
From the moment we were shown to our table and given our menus the pressure was on to get on with ordering our food, gulping it down, paying our bill and basically getting out of there ASAP so our table could be given to other customers; the head waiter/manager actually SAID so when we were taking a bit 'too long " to order our deserts! He said there were calls coming in non stop being a Saturday and all, and they needed the table! The cheque arrived uncalled for and well before we were done with our dessert. So ordering coffee was out of the question (not that any of the number of wait staff who stopped by our table to check if we had settled the bill asked if we wanted any).
I don't know about you, but, my idea of dining out anyplace other than a fast food joint is to have a relaxed, leisurely meal, enjoy the ambience, (which by the way is quite lovely) and the company of the people I am with. No chance of this on Saturday October 19th at the Bavarian!
My advice to whoever is running this place - if your customers realise that you are more interested in maximising profit over providing good service you are in for a rocky future.
Also? That old saying 'the bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' might be a bit of a cliché but really worth taking to heart. So, no. Won't be going back there. Especially having discovered so many fantastic restaurants in Colombo where the food is great and you are welcomed and treated with respect.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Sharlini C
Perth
“If you want great food make sure you stop here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

The place is simply great. The food is amazing. the bar selection is top notch and the staff are excellent. We went there once then returned for the next 4 fdays it was that satisfying.

Visited September 2013
Colombo
“Consistent quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

For consistent quality on all fronts, you can't beat this cosy pub/restaurant on Galle Road Colombo. Generous portions of European nosh (predominantly German) ranging from burgers to eisbein, steaks, schnitzels and sausages are the specialities of the house, while fresh (and tasty) seafood offerings are also on offer. All these go down in excellent style with chilled local and foreign beers and wines. It's not fine dining but damn good eating and the prices are reasonable too.

• Visited September 2013
Burnham, United Kingdom
“If you want to feel that you are in Europe, please go inside!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

This fantastic restaurant offers typical European meals and Beer!!! Has an upmarket pub atmosphere and the portions are extremely generous.
They have valet parking so it wont be a problem! Located within walking distance of Galle Face Green (Beach) and many 5 star hotels in Colombo! Would recommend! (average price around £20-25)

Visited October 2013