“Beautiful hotel, absolutely unique decor, comfortable rooms.”
Review of Casa Colombo

Casa Colombo
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Probably the best rooms we've had anywhere in the world, at an extremely reasonable price. Unusual decor, all made in Sri Lanka. Although the mansion has been restored with all its original features, there are many glamorous modern additions. Each room is uniquely decorated.
Horst, the manager was extremely friendly, as was our casa domo, who showed us round the hotel. Fantastic service, all the staff very helpful, readily available when we needed assistance and did not bother us at all when we did not. Location convenient for shops, restaurants and sight-seeing.Many restaurants, bars, shops both walking distance and short trishaw rides away.
We had such a fantastic time we returned to the hotel for the last part of our holiday and found ourselves ensconced in the room we'd previously admired with a double-sized copper bath. Because of the political situation, the hotel was quiet, but it was like having our own private mansion. We would recommend it highly and will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Casa Colombo

Reviewed March 23, 2009

Beautifully designed, mixing modern art with mosaic tradition, the Casa will pamper you beyond your imagination. The food was delicious, the waiters adorable and the service outstanding. I used their champagne & sky service and it was great! … In their suite there was a fully organized business centre with direct fax & telephones plus wife. There is lot of international hotel chains in side Colombo but … this is a simply a great experience an example for real tourism. The DOMO was really helpful through out our stay ,,,

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2009

I booked this through Splendia after raves in various guides and expected it to be THE place to stay in Colombo. I'm afraid to say it's not. I have been travelling with friends, who are staying at the Galle Face Hotel - gee, I wish I was. I thought I'd introduce a bit of variety by staying here on the way back from a trip to Galle, and I think I've got the short straw. I'm still working it out but it seems to have been a great and expensively set up concept, and perhaps worked well in the early days after it opened, but to run a supposedly very groovy place like this, you need to have the service and maintenance to really deliver on the experience. There must have been a change of management otherwise I don't understand why it would ever have been recommended so warmly. It's nice to have all the gadgets and all, but there was no running water when I arrived, no complimentary water bottles, there are stains on the sisal carpet, there is no other guest in sight, the pool area looks deserted and sad - oh, and the hand lotion bottle is half empty - errcchhh. My personal "butler" is very helpful but there I note the previous guest's note with his contact details is still by the bed, as well as mine - signalling poor attention to detail. I was upgraded to a suite, which is nice, but I would prefer a smaller room in a really tightly run hotel. And I now learn from TripAdvisor reviews that there is no liquor licence? (Not confirmed, but I'm not about to find out - I'm dining elsewhere.) So I'm sorry, I have to give this place a fail.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We stayed at this hotel as a final stop-off before flying out of Colombo. The rooms and house itself are decorated in a very eclectic and glamorous manner, and our room was comfortable and spacious. However, this is where the plaudits end.

There is zero atmosphere at the hotel as there are no guests. We arrived at lunchtime, the place was empty. Luckily, we had been recommended a dinner venue (Gallery Cafe - very good) as upon leaving the hotel at 9pm, the restaurant, the bar and the pool area were all deserted. We were also the only people at breakfast the following morning.

The service was OK at best, and the poorest we had received in Sri Lanka. There was no welcome drink on arrival, we were rushed to our room, and when we wanted some assistance (like to order breakfast) there was nobody to be found. Our driver had not had guests staying there before and was shocked how poor it was.

The hotel is a good idea, terribly executed. Avoid.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank L0ndonGent
Reviewed January 18, 2009

After reading so many reiviews about Casa Colombo I booked a 2 night stay which needed to be split up upon arrival and departure from Sri Lanka.

I am a solo women traveller. I arrived late at night and the pick up was arranged by the hotel. I was exhausted and hungry. A snack was made for me upon my arrival

Casa Colombo is a beautiful house with lovely decor but nobody stays there. It has no atmosphere. They have lost their liquor licence and their restaurant is closed.

There was one other room occupied when I stayed at the hotel. The manager on duty who asked me many personal questions which I found extremely unprofessional but worse than this must have offered me that evening and again the following morning a massage. He kept telling me he was a model and very good at massages. I think he must offered me a massage about 10 times. He kept asking me if the travelling had given me a headache etc.

I found this so uncomfortable that I cancelled my return visit at Casa Colombo and stayed at another hotel in Colombo. The hotel has still billed me for this night, although it was cancelled in advance. They insist they had to keep the room - funny as nobody stays there.

I have complained to the hotel directly and still await for their reply. I would never recommend this hotel for women travelling alone.

• Stayed: December 2008
17  Thank MarvBlonde
Reviewed April 25, 2008

We had one night in Colombo finishing off our trip, and our only complaint is that we wish we had more time here! The hotel was amazing. We were picked up right from the airport and taken to this little gem of a hotel. The decor is really inspired and creative, like nothing I've ever seen, and we really liked the outside garden and seating. The bed is extremely comfortable, the stereo was fabulous, and we really liked that everything was included in the mini bar. The staff couldn't have been more helpful or involved. We ate at HVN restaurant and were very impressed. We were not happy to hear they didn't have a liquor license, but we easily picked up wine/cocktails and brought our own to dinner and the eclectic Ice bar. Breakfast in the morning was huge and very gourmet. We didn't have time to lounge by the pink pool, but wished we could have. If there is only one downfall (and it's a small one) the showers had weird water pressure. We will definitely recommend this fantastic hotel to our friends/family and if we return to Colombo we will stay again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SpecialK3
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Casa Colombo was everything we were told to expect and more. Friends who had stayed there said they were sorry they had not stayed for more than one night and so we booked for two. The old building has been renovated with such flair and style that every corner you turn there is a wow factor. And the attention to detail is amazing. On the long front veranda roll cushions are like giant candies stuffed with brown leaves and the lampshades on the walls are antique buddhist monks’ umbrellas. This became our favorite spot for watching people and the hotel staffs’ comings and goings. The staff mostly came towards us to ask if there was anything we wanted. They could not have been friendlier or more helpful. And we did take our personal butler (each suite has one) up on his suggestion to use the hotel’s white tuk-tuk to go downtown where we walked along the famous Colombo seafront promenade, then visited the museum and did some shopping.

Our suite on the first floor was huge. And so was the bathroom and the stand-alone copper bath. We liked the way the plasma TV swivelled towards the bed or the desk (with its own laptop and printer) and sitting areas. The bed was super comfortable, and the music selection on the iPod was cool. From our bathroom we had a view of the pink swimming pool which is like something out of a fairytale at night.

We ate in the Zaza garden restaurant and, even though it rained it was soooooo romantic with the low lighting and lovely old trees. The food is a mix of Mediterranean and local flavours and on the second night we had delicious lobster and salads in the main dining room.

We will be coming back next year to celebrate an anniversary as we just can not think of anywhere else we felt so much at home, pampered (we had in-room massage treatments) and relaxed. It’s not easy to find all that, and friendly staff at prices which are so affordable.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Paca7