“Happy endings”

Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
London
“Happy endings”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We spent our last night in Sri Lanka at Casa Colombo and it was rather a magnificent end to our wonderful tour of the country.

Our suite was ginormous with what has got to be one of the biggest beds I've ever slept in. I loved the way the hotel mixes the contemporary with the classical in this venerable old building, and the fact that many of the original features are still in tact - the high decoratively plastered ceilings, the beautiful old wooden doors and the tiled floors.

Having a butler (domo) was something of a surprise and although we were a bit embarrassed at having someone at our beck and call, he was very helpful and friendly. It was Valentine's Day when we stayed and we returned to our room to find the bed strewn with rose petals and chocolates and many candles flickering all around the room. What a lovely touch - thanks to Gayen!

There are aspects to the hotel which I guess could be improved. It's ever so slightly faded - the carpet in our room was a bit worn and stained in places, the windows are somewhat ill-fiting and ours were opaque so there was no natural light in the room, the pool wasn't really available as there was building work going on, the service in the bar was haphazard and slow and the breakfast was adequate but not that great, but I can't bring myself to give the place less than 5 out of 5 as it is just so different and unique and it's plusses far outweigh its minuses. Definitely worth a stay.

Room Tip: We had room 9 on the ground floor. The music from the lobby area started up quite early and was qui...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Xanadustar
GmCASAColombo, General Manager at Casa Colombo, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
We really enjoyed reading your review of your stay at CASA Colombo, and a heartfelt thank you to you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers.

We are very happy that you enjoyed some special moments on Valentine’s Day, it was our pleasure to have made it a memorable one for you. The entire CASA Colombo team is at your disposal during your stay with us, and we are only too pleased to fulfill all your needs and wants in order to make your stay with us simply perfect.

We would also like to thank you for your other comments, which will be looked into and improved wherever possible, and we greatly value your feedback.

Please do visit us again as we would love the opportunity to take care of you at CASA Colombo once again.

CASA Colombo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

As an avid contributor I also read other reviews and where I can visit these locations and hence my visit to this establishment. I have rarely been as surprised as when I visited here as I have to say I found it lacking and had an altercation with staff. Sooo..... We arrived and tool a quick look around first - first impression was that it was a little over designed but the pool area at the back was quite impressive. Every square inch of the property is put to use leaving no space to relax in. Out the front of the hotel is an over engineered bar that has uncomfortable but 'designer' seats complete with plastic covers still in place. The bar itself is a glass square and the batman was professional and courteous ...... To start with.
The restaurant space was very busy but the more I looked around the busier the decor was to the point of 'too much' and the gold leaf painted ceiling on top of what is already an intricate ceiling was the last straw z- theis place lacked taste. Back to bar where when we returned of the second drink the manager had arrived ( well I am presuming manager) and he and the batman were having throng words. Note we re the only patrons. Well this 100% rubbed onto our service where they become rude and abrupt. When at the end I came up to the bar to pay , I was asked to sit down , I said nicely that it was no problem to wait but I didnt ned to sit again ( plastic covers were making sitting down hot and uncomfortable) and then the quest for change in a way that I could leave a tip started. The wait become silly as he left, returned , left and then both he and the manager?? Came back in and at this point I was getting peeved. I was asked to sit again, this time by the manager. This is where I became quite annoyed .......... After a while with change in hand and NO tip left I went to the hotel reception to complain where the front desk were playing computer games and did not raise their heads to look at me. I decided why bother ....... And simply left.
so to sum up this lace failed me on basically every count of decor , service and amenities and without sounding like I have it in for them , the area was not the best. There were far nicer areas and closer tot he attractions that Colombo had to offer.
I urge you to read more about here and other hotels in Colombo before you make any commit timers to Casa Colombo.
Someone with a little too much money and not enought taste built a hotel that maybe when it opened took Colombo hotels someplace good but since then there have been many new places that have left this tired old place for dust.
FAIL :-(

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank TravellingRainbow
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your feedback. In this case however, I may have to disagree with some of your observations, since taste is an individual choice we regret that you feel the way you do and it is quite obvious that we did not meet your taste buds, as you are obviously accustomed to other designs. It would be too easy to believe that we are able to impress everyone, however, we do understand that this is not possible. We have very painstakingly restored a very old building and have kept the charm of the old era and combined it with modern architecture and features, in order to make the experience at CASA Colombo one that is unique in every way. We have more seating areas than any other hotel of that size as you have surely seen in T-Republic, an outside open area in cool and comfortable surroundings, the Veranda with the traditional fans and handmade spacious and very comfortable chairs 25mtr long, the pool area which you have mentioned, the new Bar which features the lit up chairs during the night and hence the use of the pillows, the library with many books, the HVN restaurant you mentioned and last but not least our fine dining romantic spot on the very top of the building. All that for a small 12 suite Boutique Hotel which incidentally very recently won the Award of being “THE BEST DESIGNED BOUTIQUE HOTEL IN THE WORLD”

We are not perfect as much as we want to be, however, with every day we learn and adjust to our customers’ needs and improve where possible, nor are we ignorant of things we can improve on, nevertheless it is very clear from the outset that CASA Colombo is not for you and that fact, although disappointing to us, we have to accept.

May we wish you all the very best on your future travels.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is my second time staying in my lovely CASA. Ever since my first trip here 1.5 year ago, I could not ever forget this marvelous hotel, the ever best hotel among hundred of places that I've stayed over years.

This time I spent 10 days here, experiencing several different suites out of the 12 fabulous rooms they have and completely fell in love with this modern, professional and friendly boutique hotel.

The staffs still remembered me well after more than 1 year, what a homely and sweet feeling the moment I stepped into the well-paved and clean driveway.

My last time Domo Kumara was greeting me at the gate with his usual and attracting smile, arranging my luggages in a neat & quiet way, within a few minutes time I was in another artistically designed room different from last time, all my belongings laying in its position already. I even did not notice the hustle u usually had in non-boutique hotels.
The place is still so quiet, and it's so nice to stay in another extraordinary room with all the facilities and necessities available any time you want as what you have at home. Each room has its unique styles, designs and layout, so it makes your stay very fresh and enjoyable other than the standard setup in normal hotels.

Besides these sophisticated hardwares, more impressing was the hotel software -- personal service the hotel provides to each guest in its unique way. Kumara was 24 hours stand by for any need and help I might have, so it did not make me a stranger in a different country. The time I spent here therefore was very peaceful, the surrounding & everything around me made me more than comfortable and at ease all the time.
Kumara is the best and really professional in guest attending. I love Kumara for all the work he had ever done, which made the overall stay another unforgettable memory.
If you choose to stay in CASA for your Sri Lanka visit, do get Kumara as your domo, trust you'll feel how I felt.

Apart from Kumara, I also made good friends with the chef Shareef. Because of my particular food selection and taste requirement, I always gave challenge to the chef, asking him to do sth different so as to keep my stomach happy. He's more than happy to accept the request from a lady from China, smiling at my comment. Isn't this another lovely homely feeling you're expecting when you're away from your hometown?

All the people here can be your friends, housekeeping Manoja,Kasun, waiter Channa, Amila, bartender Nimal, F&B Rhaim, Ferdi, domo Arun, and even GM Mr. Horst. You can chat with them for any stories you're interested in, even share a small pack of chocolate! This is the lovely family that you are with and will be with upon your choice when you travel to this tropical island.

If you are a bar lover, you can spend your fun time in their newly furnished glass walled bar at any time you want. Every design is rare here.

My dear CASA, wait for me next time, will see all very soon again. Keep my second home well done!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Ina6080
Oh wow!! What a review! You have indeed left us quite speechless!!

Thank you for some very lovely and encouraging words, and most of all we are so happy that you consider CASA Colombo to be your second home, and us as your family. Indeed we do remember you…. how could we ever forget a family member…..! Giving you a very personalized experience is what we strive for always at CASA Colombo and what a great feeling to know that we have succeeded in impressing you and satisfying you in every way.

We are happy to note your promise of returning soon to CASA Colombo, which we will await with impatience. See you soon….. very very soon…..

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed for 1 night on our way to and again from safari at zala nat park. It was exceptional. We had 2 different rooms, one on the ground floor the other on the first floor. Both interesting, comfortable, and spacious. The tub is fantastic. Great internet, wonderful amenities. Only exceedingly minor quibble is the lighting is a little inadequate in the sink for putting in contact lenses.
As others have noted, staff is fantastic. Our personal butler was even there to help with our 4AM departure. Kudos to manager Wilhem for running a friendly, casual, but highly effective operation.
Restaurant was nice. Sri Lankan breakfast highly recommended.
Only 1 masseuse at spa, so more than 1 could not go at once. Balinese massage was very nice. Average value (middle between US and SE Asian pricing). Signature Ayurveda was not offered at the time. Would've liked to try.
Did not get a chance to tour Colombo, so can not comment on convenience to rest of city.
But will most definitely stay here on a return to Colombo.

Room Tip: First floor room with terrace has private jacuzzi.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Aequanimitas
We are so glad that you have selected CASA Colombo as your preferred hotel while in Colombo, and to note that you had an enjoyable stay whilst with us. Thank you for some very kind words in your review.

Colombo does have some lovely places to visit while you are here and an enormous variety of shops for the shopaholic. We do hope that on your next visit to Colombo you will be able to experience the uniqueness of the city of Colombo together with the uniqueness of CASA Colombo, and we would only be too happy to assist you with any travel arrangements or make any recommendation to you on where to go. After all, we are here to serve you, and to make sure that your stay is as hassle free as possible so that all you have to do is enjoy.

Do come back soon….. we would love to have you at CASA Colombo once again.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were here for dinner and that dining experience was amazing! an absolute treat! you would expect the prices to be super high, however this wasnt the case. I would say that the meals may not be BIG but the flavours are more than so, therefore it does give value for money.
the atmosphere was great, my favourite was the pink pool....it has been done up beautifully and really, the star here is the architecture and the attention to detail in the interior decorations.

This was a celebration and the staff were extremely helpful in making the neccessary arrangements so i would say service was great!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lakigirl
GmCASAColombo, General Manager at Casa Colombo, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
We are so glad that you had a fabulous dining experience at CASA Colombo, and thank you for sharing this experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor.

We love your comments with regard to our food, service, design and décor, and we will be sharing these comments with our entire CASA Colombo team. We hope one day you will visit us not only for dinner, but to stay a few days, so that we can have the opportunity to give you the total CASA Colombo experience, where you can relax and unwind, and have a cool dip in your favourite pink pool….

Come back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I recently travelled to Sri Lanka for two weeks, seeing as much of the country as I could in that time, staying in a total of seven hotels. Casa Colombo was the final hotel and what a finale!!! I absolutely love this place! Very clean, very modern and amazing staff! I can't gush enough! We had our own butler (they're called domos) called Gayan. What a nice guy! Very funky bedroom with under-bed lighting and all the mod cons you could wish for. My fave was the sink in the restaurant toilets - it was like a waterfall with water coming down a trough from the ceiling and you caught it in a ledge to wash. Has to be seen to be believed!

Very minor gripe was the pool was too cold to get in, but I imagine that's a godsend after a hot sweaty day sightseeing!

There are twelve rooms here, we stayed in Tickell Road which was beautiful and tucked away upstairs round the back so very quiet. There are two rooms off the dining room which I imagine can get noisy and also one off the reception corridor so I'd recommend a suite upstairs.

Try it, we loved it!

• Stayed February 2013
GmCASAColombo, General Manager at Casa Colombo, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
We loved reading your review of CASA Colombo, and knowing that we have been successful in giving you a fabulous experience whilst with us. Your comments have been shared with our entire CASA Colombo team, who are thrilled to have been able to look after you and pamper you.

We also love it that you like the design of CASA Colombo and its many unique features, which were designed by our CEO and Founder Mr. Lalin Jinasena, and it is this very same uniqueness that has won us many international awards, of which we are very proud.

We loved having you at CASA Colombo, and can’t wait for the day when you will return again.

Sydney
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in one of the corporate suites. It was huge, and very well appointed. There was a slight mix up with our rooms when we arrived at around 2.00 am, however this was handled very well by the hotel - always a test of a good hotel. The rooms are eclectic in their design but with a great attention to detail and a lot of style. I would generally class the feel of the hotel as on the chic side of shabby chic. The rooms don't have a view (at least the two that we had didn't) and the windows that do face outside are either frosted or coloured glass, with the result that the room is very inward feeling. Not necessarily a bad thing, given how beautiful the rooms are, but it might not suit everyone. The beds are huge and extremely comfortable. The pool is lovely partly because of a large tree around which it is built, however it is also rather cool (blame the tree I'm thinking). The service was very good. The manager, Willem, was great, as was our butler Arrun - both excellent. The hotel is off a busy road, but is quiet and peaceful. The breakfast is very good, as was dinner on the one night that we ate at the hotel (and very reasonably priced). Overall we thought that the hotel was good value for money and a fun place to stay. Minor quibbles: the room lighting is too dim, and there are some areas where the building maintenance could be improved. All in all a highly recommended hotel and we would stay there again if we come back to Colombo. BTW we had also considered Tintagel as a possible hotel, and are very pleased that we didn't stay there - we visited for lunch one day and there was no one in the restaurant and although it is an extremely beautiful building it would not appeal to those who like a little more activity in and around the hotel or who like a little more of the local Sri Lankan feel.

Room Tip: We chose room 4, because the bath is not in the bedroom but in a bathroom. It was lovely.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rqf55
We are so pleased that you selected CASA Colombo as your preferred hotel for your Sri Lankan vacation, and thank you for a really great review.

CASA Colombo is unique in its design and concept, and we are very happy that it has appealed to you and that you enjoyed staying with us. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our service and food. We always endeavor to give our guests the most personalized service possible, which is why we allocate a personal butler for you during your stay with us. We would not dream of even your smallest need or want being unattended to.

We are looking forward to your promise of returning to CASA Colombo, and hope it will be very soon.