“Nice place with room for improvement” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Colombo

Casa Colombo
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Colombo
Shanghai
“Nice place with room for improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

We were worried when we arrived at the hotel since the surrounding area is not what we had expected (a busy, not very charming street). Although the hotel is situated on a small plot of land close to a busy street, we were relieved to find this a very nice property. The place is small and private, with a nice little restaurant and large rooms with unique designs.

Really liked the rooms. I think we stayed in an executive suite. There were a few quirks but nothing major.

The service was ok (no real complaints, but not as friendly as at some other places).

The food in the restaurant was awesome! Try the Sri Lankan curries. These were super delicious and better than at many other good restaurants on the island. Highly recommended. Don't know about the other dishes since we only had one meal here.

Since it was off season I think that the property was not as spotless as it could have been. This is something that could be easily improved.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Executive suite recommended.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GmCASAColombo, General Manager at Casa Colombo, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to publish a review of your stay at CASA Colombo. We strive to exceed expectation in service, and if we have failed to impress you, then we will look into the same immediately and rectify the same, we believe that a personalized service is of essence to create a memorable stay.

We hope you will visit us again soon, and enjoy the unique “CASA Colombo experience”!

CASA Colombo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Vietnamese first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

My husband and I were looking for something new for our visit to Colombo, having already stayed in Galle Face we opted for what was described on our google search as an 'arty designer' hotel. Their website is amazing, Casa Colombo, the hotel itself delivered everything that it's website promised and more.
I can only encourage any traveller to Colombo to try it. We were booked 2 nights and stayed 3. We arrived to a huge party, which was celebrating their win as Best Hotel Interior in Sri Lanka and it was well deserved. Meet the GM, who immediately made us feel extremely welcome and the designer himself, Michael, who was justifiably proud of his hotel.
Their suites are well appointed, some small issues like chipped glass on our coffee table and vanity, but otherwise we were very impressed with the careful renovation of an elderly mansion. The public areas are stunning, roomy, stylish...all the adjectives apply here.
Breakfast is to die for, fresh everything, no buffets here. All set in the veranda of this magnificent mansion. They have limited views as buildings have sprung up in front on the road, which is very busy, so that's not an issue, the hotel grounds have been planned to give you a 'sense' of gardens and water, lovely and surprisingly relaxing laying around with the bits of sculpture, lots of photo opportunities.
Cannot give it a review without talking about our butler, our go-to-man, Arrun. A young Sri Lankan guy who is very friendly and most of all, good at his job. Thank you Arrun for making out stay so wonderful.
The hotel is very central, great for shopping, tuk-tuk's are the way to go around the streets, fast and effective. Our tuk-tuk driver decided that he needed to be our tour guide and even started to come into the shops with us and translate, all up he charged us less than USD20 for the day and showed us where we could get good quality cotton clothing made in Sri Lanka at great prices and even took us to see the street art. All in all an enjoyable break in Colombo.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel directly via Skype for good rate
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sereban
GmCASAColombo, General Manager at Casa Colombo, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Thank you very much for your positive comments about CASA Colombo. We greatly appreciate it and will certainly share it with the rest of our Team. For us, it is always a pleasure to see our guests happy while staying at CASA Colombo.

With regard to the minor issues you have pointed out, we will certainly see to ti that it is rectified immediately.

We are glad that you had a pleasant stay in sunny Sri Lanka, and that we were able to be a part of it. We hope we will see you again sometime at CASA Colombo.

Sunny Regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

My wife and I travelled throughout Sri Lanka and the Maldives for 2-3 weeks in May-June 2011. We stayed at what are reputed to be some of Colombo’s best and most famous hotels including the Galle Face Hotel and Cinammon Lakeside as well as what is perhaps Sri Lanka’s most famous hotel, Kandalama. So it is based on this experience and a certain level of objectivity that I can say that without a doubt, this is the best hotel in Colombo!

To say that our experience at Casa Colombo was absolutely wonderful would be a gross understatement and not do justice to this boutique hotel whose owner and staff have clearly thought of every single detail to make your stay in Colombo the most relaxing and truly luxurious experience you are likely to have. In fact my only regret is that my wife and I were unable to extend our trip and stay longer in this wonderful hotel.

From my understanding Casa Colombo was actually one of Colombo’s largest and most elegant Mansions before its incarnation as a boutique hotel. So all the old charm of a grand old house remains, but it is what the owners have done with the place that sets it apart from almost any hotel I have ever stayed in. The award wining interior décor is trendy, modern and eclectic to say the least… but all the style cues work and make this place really unique. My personal favourite is the 20ft ceiling fans in the dining room that swoosh around and gives you the impression that if they were cranked up, that the whole house could take off.

From a service perspective, Casa Colombo does not skip a beat. The team at Casa Colombo are equally as hip, and cool as the décor, but added to this is the fact that they are so incredibly attentive of your every need and make sure that your experience is absolutely perfect.

As you may have already read, Casa Colombo assigns a personal “Casa Domo” to your room/suite. This harks back to the days of old where you had a butler or Mayor Domo, whose job was to look after the master’s every need. Now, I’m not one that likes too much doting, but man it is awesome to have your own Domo at your beck and call!

Upon check in we met our Domo along with the Mayor Domo who I have to say was also excellent! In fact, I had popped into the hotel a week earlier, before heading to the Maldives and asked if it was possible to leave my suitcase with them as I would not be needing it for our trip to the Maldives. The Major Domo, graciously said that this would not be a problem and that he would take care of our luggage, and after offering us a refreshing drink then warmly wished us the best for our trip. Now normally, that would be enough, and at most hotels that is to be expected (well minus the drink). The difference of how far that attention to detail goes at Casa Colombo is what I consider to be its key point of differentiation… This was demonstrated by the fact that when we checked in a week later, after our trip to the Maldives, we were warmly greeted by both the Major Domo and our personal Casa Domo who proceeded to ask how our trip to Maldives was and whether we had enjoyed our stay. It was as if you were staying with a friend who genuinely was interested in you and your story that they cared about you as a person, not just another random hotel occupant. That to me is the essence of Hospitality, and after my stay at Casa Colombo in my opinion there should be a photo of hotel and the staff next to the meaning of the word in the Oxford Dictionary.

Anyway, I digress… After the warm greeting from the Domos, we were seated in the front of the house, provided with our welcome drink and reclined back in the big lounge chairs whilst they prepared our room and took care of our bags. When we were finished with our drink our Domo showed us to our room, where our luggage including the suitcase we had left with them a week earlier was waiting for us. Our Domo showed us around the room and noting that we were probably very tired (he was right) left us to relax in our suite, and explained that if we needed anything that he would be only a phone call away or located at his desk neat the front of house.

The room we stayed in was called the “Corporate Suite”. This suite is so frickin’ cool that its only draw-back is when you get back home and realize how lame your own apartment actually is in comparison… this place totally puts my apartment in Sydney to shame!

As you can see by the photos, the bed seems to be effortlessly suspended in the air, whist a warm red/pink glow emanates from underneath. The bed-head is like 12 feet tall and covered in plush fabric and is framed by wicked lamps suspended from the ceiling.... Now I’m not an interior decorator, but man that some cool shiznit! If that doesn’t look like an inviting bed, I don’t know what does!

Also located in the room is a copper bath tub that looks straight out of Vogue Living magazine. The room is appointed with a centralised light control from the bedside table, vintage telephones, an in room MacBook, study desk and your own personal reading lounge. All of which are very tastefully decorated. As mentioned before, Casa Colombo’s style a little eclectic but I think that this makes it feel very personal. It is different from every hotel I have ever been in, and does not have that feel of conformity that other hotels tend to have.

Once checked in, showered and relaxed, we enquired with our Domo about the day spa at the hotel. As the packages were very reasonably priced (40,000-50,000 Rs, AUD$40-50) my wife and I booked in a 1.5-2 hour massage each, she with a relaxation massage and for me a deep tissue massage. To say that I was worked over is an understatement, the masseur was a champ! Btw my wife also enjoyed her massage.

After our massages we made a reservation for dinner in the dining room. The menu was modern as well as incorporating traditional Sri Lankan food. My wife ordered the Lobster (2000Rs or $20) which for the record is insanely cheap. Not to mention that it was delicious! A whole freshly caught lobster served by what is clearly a very competent chef. Anyway, I ordered the traditional Sri Lankan Rice and Curry, which was as good as I had at my friend’s family’s places in Lanka. I also ordered Kiri Pani or the curd and treacle for which Lanka is famous. I was surprised at how cheap these actually were. To be honest, I expected that when eating at such a luxurious boutique hotel, that the prices would be double/triple of what you might get at a restaurant in town. This wasn’t the case. My rice and curry was like $5 and my curd and treacle like $1.50 or something. Ludicrous!!!

During dinner, my wife noted that the hotel had some beautiful metal elephants… from what it looked like they were made from Pewter. We enquired whether they were by chance for sale. Our Domo regrettably said that the elephants had been made exclusively for the hotel and that at one point they did have some for sale, but these had indeed sold out. It seemed that they were down to their last few elephants and as these were part of the decorations they could not be sold… Now that was fair enough, I thought, “that’s a shame, but them’s the breaks”. We continued our dinner and cocktails and to our great surprise when we returned to our suite we found on of the small elephants on our bed. It seemed that during the turn-down service our Domo had looked around and found one that the hotel could spare. It was given to us as a gift and our Domo would not accept our offer of payment.

That’s the sort of stuff that makes you remember a place for life. Seriously, I realize that this review is very long. But I felt an obligation to tell people about my experience at Casa Colombo. I have stayed in some pretty incredible hotels in my life and I can say that without hesitation this is in my top 5 hotels (which include in no particular order; The Sofitel Metropole in Hanoi, Hotel De La Paix in Siem Reap, Medhufushi Island Resort in the Maldives, and Hotel Diderot in Chinon in the Loire Valley).

Seriously, I am looking for an excuse to go back to Colombo just to go back to this place. I just hope that I am able to get a room, because once word gets out, this place is going to be booked out for 12 months in advance!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rene_Velasquez
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review of CASA Colombo. It was certainly a great pleasure to read it and to know that you and your wife had a memorable stay at CASA Colombo.

We are very happy that you found the ambience and service we had to offer you was up to your expectations, since the top priority of our entire CASA Colombo Team is to make your stay as enjoyable and as relaxing as possible. We consider it our greatest reward if we have been able to achieve this.

We too are certainly looking forward to your next visit at CASA Colombo, and we hope that it will be sometime in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

Arrived very early and was served breakfast. Interior design of the building was gorgeous. Service was the top in Sri Lanka. We left the next day at 6.00am as we had to catch a bus and the domo actually woke up to send us off. Lovely, lovely, lovely.....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We greatly appreciate your valued comments regarding your stay at CASA Colombo, and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay.

The main aim of the entire CASA Colombo Team is to make you feel welcome and to make your stay in Sri Lanka a pleasurable one.

We hope that you will visit us soon for a longer stay, so that you will be able to experience much more that we can offer.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

This hotel was central, although not really walking distance to the restaurants and hotels usually frequented by visitors.

The design was very well thought out, and with every modern convenience.

The butlers are a great idea, although they are not as effective as they could be. Make sure you get pricing for anything including three wheeler rental. Don't rely on your butler telling you that he will give you the price afterwards. This happened to me, and worked out poorly.

The breakfast was good.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks you so very much for your comments with regard to your stay at CASA Colombo. Your reviews help us to improve even further.

We will certainly look into the matter regarding the quality of our Butler Service, and will definitely work towards improving it. Our aim is to give our guests a unique experience, while they are enjoying a unique and beautiful country, Sri Lanka.

We look forward to seeing you again sometime at CASA Colombo!

melb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Wonderful and courteous service - I felt so at home and relatively relaxed - especially considering my crazy arrival time... and the fact that I was working.
I would stay again without hesitation.
So nice to land somewhere that is not "cookie-cutter" nor generic... and that celebrates gorgeous local food (one of my favourite reasons for visiting srilanka... yum!!) and local talent.
Hope that others enjoy the personalities and environment that made this so great for me...

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank joannahere
We greatly appreciate and value your comments with regard to your stay at CASA Colombo. Our entire CASA Team will no doubt be pleased that you had a wonderful time while at CASA Colombo.

Sri Lankan cuisine offers such a rich and unique flavor, it would be a shame not to share it with the rest of the world, and that is exactly what we like doing at CASA Colombo.

We hope that you will visit us again sometime soon!

Sunnyr egards,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

I always seek smaller, boutique hotels (child-unfriendly whenever possible) when traveling for leisure. My husband and I were using Colombo as a transit stopover on the way to the Maldives so we didn’t want to venture out of Colombo nor spend a vast amount for a relatively nearby seaside resort. The website for the hotel looked wonderfully eclectic, romantic and kitsch. It did not disappoint.
Our flight arrived near midnight and we had the hotel arrange a car pick-up. As we were not familiar with the Colombo airport, we didn’t want to risk searching for a legal taxi at night, but they were plentiful and safe so we should not have bothered to pay twice the regular fare reserving via the hotel. This was probably one of our only two regrets during our entire stay at the hotel. (See para below for 2nd regret).
We read in Trip Adviser reviews that the hotel doesn’t serve alcohol, so we brought along our own bottle of vodka. Arrun brought us ice right away and we had our own welcome drink in this stunning room.
Arrun, who was an amazing butler/concierge/go-to-guy during our 3-night stay, was waiting for us at 1am. We were whisked to our stunning suite on the ground floor and Arrun told us to contact him by phone if we needed anything. Instinct told me to ask for a suite on a higher floor, as I am an extremely light sleeper, but I didn’t want to make a fuss. The room was just beautiful and a great joy to stay in. Beautiful décor, high ceilings, snuggle-worthy duvet/sheets/pillows, ipod dock, swiveling t.v., copper-covered bathtub, etc. etc. Fun!
However, I was woken up about 5am by the staff sweeping outside and preparing the hotel for the coming day….our room opened up on one side to the pool and the other to a lounging area. Arrun happened to already be outside (I wonder if he ever sleeps…) when I left the room to peruse the scene, he wanted to know why I was up so early. When I explained I was a light sleeper, they immediately asked us to switch rooms upstairs, which we did, to an equally fantastic suite, and the rest of our time was bliss. We actually spent a good amount of time in the room as it was so inviting (and we had a lot of work to do on the internet…very fast and we were pleased that there was wireless throughout the hotel).
Breakfasts were ample (and Western/Sir Lankan/Asian choices were available) and it was so relaxing to sit on the verandah under the fans (which we did at various times throughout the day with tea/coffee and reading). We did not dine in the hotel either evening and asked Arrun to suggest restaurants for us…he has a canny perception of what his guests want and the Gallery Café he suggested was perfect for our first evening….amazing fresh/organic fusion cuisine served in a romantic former-warehouse setting. The second night we ate at the convenient Hilton’s outdoor restaurant as we were too lazy to be adventurous (too much food for us but the manager was really kind as he saw that we only ate a small amount of the tasty, huge buffet offerings and charged us only for one person….). Great suggestions Arrun!
We hired the local version of a tuk-tuk for a few hours on our first day. Arrun suggested a man named Ranghit, who we highly recommend. He took us to all the major sites/sights, including the national museum (well worth it if you enjoy Buddhist sculpture), Liberty Square, etc. At Liberty Square we were approached by an older gentleman who said he was a retired college professor and insisted on taking us on a quick tour of the site. We didn’t have the heart to say no but Ranghit was wary and followed quietly behind us to make sure we were safe (we were very grateful for this kindness). The little “tour” was actually very good and we gave the man a nice tip.
Do be sure to skip the tourist handicraft stores….Ranghit took us to two stores “specializing” in national handicrafts and they were archaic; e.g. one can only imagine how old the teas on the shelves were. Luckily, Ranghit guessed we were looking for something a little more upscale and then took us to the store called Paradise Road (on Paradise Road) and it was just fantastic. Even my less-than-shopping-patient husband was enthralled…gadgets and doodads and wonderful handmade local products/décor galore. Another store, Barefoot, offered a wide selection of handmade products/clothing/cloth/linen/toys, etc., along with a delightful little café.
The second day we just vegetated at the adorable little pool as we caught up on our reading (and sleep). We used one of the cabanas for about 8 hours, had a light lunch served to us by Arrun, who also kept our thirst quenched throughout the day with icy tea/lemon. All in all, we couldn’t have asked for a more perfect city hotel.

Room Tip: Light sleeper? Second floor room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank Asiaexpat81
We greatly appreciate your comments with regard to your stay at CASA Colombo, and they will be shared with the entire CASA Colombo Team.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that we will see you again in the future.