“Hotel lost my bag - Worst experience ever! Do not stay here!”

Cinnamon Grand Colombo
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
“Hotel lost my bag - Worst experience ever! Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

To begin with, my stay was the worst 5 star Hotel experience (apparently 5 star) in the past 20 years of traveling all over the world.

I arrived on 22nd Oct morning and was saying in room 878. On 23rd since i had to check out by noon and my flight was at 6:25 p.m. in the evening. i left my bag in the custody and responsibility of the Concierge around 9:00 a.m. who gave me a receipt in return for it. I then left to my office until around 3:00 p.m. I even got a Hotel Taxi arranged for 3:30 p.m. as i informed the hotel i will after my meeting collect the bag and leave for the airport in the Hotel taxi.

When i came to collect the bag it was not to be found. There were several bags lying at the concierge but mine could not be found. What worried me were the first few 'rather loose and carefree' comments that came out of one of the staff member there who said 'maybe one of your colleagues collected it". "Seriously? would you give the bag to anyone without them having the receipt. Is this the security and safety system of this hotel", i said and was extremely surprised at this ridiculous comment. But i got no satisfactory response.

The kind of attention and service an extremely worried customer got that day was even more intriguing. I not only started panicking because after half an hour of looking the bag could not be found but i was getting extremely late for my flight and thought i would miss it. Still there seemed to be no sense of urgency or seriousness in any of the hotel staff there to find it or give me any words of assurance. After an hour i rushed to the airport since i was about to miss my flight and was extremely panicked and upset. Even till i reached the airport I was continuously calling to follow up with the hotel on what happened but sadly did not receive even one call/text/mail from the hotel - concierge/mgmt/guest relations manager updating me or giving me assurance.

Today its been 5 days since my bag got lost.I have made several international phone calls but not even received one for apologizing, updating me on my bag or giving assurance - this is their service;I have written repeated emails to their GM, Room Division Head, General Hotel email address but just gotten a reply saying 'we are investigating and will get back'.
Somebody at the hotel said that it was held with us with your sole risk and condition there are no valuables in it. Firstly, this was not communicated. Secondly when kept in the hotel's custody it is their responsibility and thirdly what the hotel is calling valuable thankfully I did not have cash in the bag but for me I had a lot of valuables in my bag like jewellery items, branded sunglasses, clothes, bags, shoes, perfumes and what not which when I calculated comes down to a such sum of money – a huge loss for me . In addition to this, since i have gotten back i have been facing a lot of difficulties and have had to go and buy a lot of necessities.

An extremely helpless and upset customer !

Room Tip: take a room in the new wing. the old wing rooms really small and claustrophobic plus old furniture e...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kiran A
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
We have replied you regarding this on more than one occasion. Rest assured, we will continue to keep you updated no sooner we receive any information.

Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel many times before and it continues to be the premier hotel in Colombo. Returned this time with my wife and a couple of friends and we weren't disappointed. The hotel's facilities from the large lobby and atrium, swimming pool, poolside bar and many, many restaurants provide plenty of choice for all. The rooms are modern and stylish and the hotel staff are friendly, eager to assist and always smiling. The hotel is well located in the northern part of Colombo and is an easy walk to the Galle Face Green and Galle Face Hotel. We wouldn't stay anywhere else and we'll come back again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Thank you for patronizing the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your recommendation.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed the experience every time you stayed with us. Your valuable feedback on our rooms, facilities, dining options, and friendly staff; as well as the location is a great encouragement to us. Whilst thanking you once again for your loyal patronage, we look forward to welcoming you on your return.

Best regards
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Our tenth stay at this hotel and we were impressed! Since 2008 this hotel has improved incrementally with each visit. However this one was by far the best - the staff are more efficient, friendly and capable and the lumps in service have been ironed out. The choice of restaurants is comprehensive; the breakfast at both Taprobane and in the exec lounge are both excellent and the bars also offer choice in atmosphere, music and formality. It is a very, very good hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your complimentary recommendation of the Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

We are delighted to note that your experience with us has left you with a positive impression. It is a pleasure to know that your recent stay with us was the best and thank you for your encouraging review of the hotel, service, dining options and our food offerings. We thank you for your loyal patronage and look forward to welcoming you again for yet another indulgence in more of our facilities and cinnamon hospitality.

Thank you.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Very nice hotel with a lot of verities like, mall, spa, restaurants and many more.

Hotel is very clean and has a good location near to the beach and other attractions of the city.

staff are very friendly and they are ready to help at any time, services are really good

Room Tip: All rooms are good I believe
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your kind review.

We are delighted that you had an excellent stay with us and thank you for your compliments on our hotel, location and services, as well as our friendly staff. We look forward to having you stay with us again, maybe for a longer time, to enjoy more of our facilities and cinnamon hospitality.

Best regards.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I LOVE this hotel ... busy ..busy.. busy all day ... evening ... also busy .. but still you can enjoy an evening with live band in the lobby .. I attend 2 local wedding .. it was really nice .. I mate people from all over the world … I tried 3 of the 14 restaurants they have and it was really good … in one word …this hotel is the place where I want to stay when I go back again to Colombo … ah …. Forget to tell you … wonderful location the ocean is only across the road .. walking distance to Dutch Hospital Shopping Precinct… amazing place to spend an evening..and if you feel tired while coming back you can take( tuc toc) those small things running all over the city it will cost you 100 rupees .. carful with tuc toc driver they may propose to show you so many thing look interesting … but you may end up like the people in (Hang Over) movie

Room Tip: Floor for smokers has a smell which I prefer I didn’t take smokers floor … if you can stay without...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of the Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us, enjoying the entertainment and location as well as witnessing 2 local weddings. We are pleased you enjoyed the cuisine at 3 of the restaurants and look forward to having you stay with us again, to enjoy more of our dining options and indulge in more of our cinnamon hospitality.

Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

A large and busy hotel, but the place has class and they make you feel very welcome. The rooms are large, clean, and well equipped. The large lobby has a piano tinkling in the background and with two very comfortable lounge areas, it is a great place for meeting friends or just relaxing with a drink and possibly watching a wedding party passing through in all its splendor. The breakfast buffet is absolutely mouth-watering, with a large selection of Sri Lankan and Western dishes, many prepared on the spot. (There are also a number of other restaurants too in the hotel, which we did not try.) The amenities provided are good, and the garden and swimming pool area are pleasing to the eye. (However, I must say that there was far too much chlorine in the pool when we were there. You simply could not open your eyes underwater.)
We found all the staff to be helpful, polite and efficient.
The hotel is also centrally located, making it so convenient to visit whatever you want to see in Colombo.
We have stayed here a few times before over the years and always found it most satisfactory.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your kind review.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay and our hospitality. Thank you for your valuable feedback on our rooms, amenities and service as well as the breakfast buffet.

Whilst thanking you for your compliments on our staff who do a great job to ensure the comfort and well-being of all our guests; and for your loyal patronage, we look forward to welcoming you again for yet another memorable stay with us.

Best regards.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The rooms are old and after the first night we moved to the premier part of the hotel (which look a lot more like the picture of the room we booked but are still dated with old furniture and a hard bed). Showers in old part of hotel are over the bath and not seperate as we saw advertised.
Apart from this the service was extremely average and at times very poor. At the pool you have to ask for a towel and mattress for a lounger at least twice and you are left hanging around with noone making any effort to help if you don't ask. Poolside is also very old and badly designed with loungers crammed into 1 side.
Reception phone just rings out whenever we called. And if we called a different number we just got transferred without being told we were being transferred.
Breakfast was average with bad quality tea and coffee and considering they have a proper coffee machine in the lobby cafe and plenty of quality tea. It is strange that only low quality is served at breakfast, considering the price.
This hotel really needs to up its standards to compete with new 5 star hotels being built.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Kat0104
Thank you very much for your stay at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your review.

We are most concerned with your feedback and would appreciate if you will let us know the details with regard to your stay, your name, room no, duration of stay etc., via our e-mail address indicated below, for us to investigate further into this matter and take corrective action. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortfalls in service that you experienced.

Whilst apologizing once again, we hope these issues will not deter you from staying with us in the future.

gm.grand@cinnamonhotels.com