“Good Overnight”

Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Colombo
Dubai
“Good Overnight”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel seemed very busy when we got in, an indication that it's a preferred hotel of many.

The rooms & the bath room are very nice. The food was excellent, specifically the breakfast buffet

The hotel has a wide variety of restaurants. The hotel taxi's are reasonably priced. The service was good!

A recommended place!! A 5 star experience.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are nice!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your overnight stay at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

We are also glad that you were pleased with the amenities, food and service as well as our dining options. Whilst thanking you for recommending us on TripAdvisor, we look forward to welcoming you again to indulge you more with our cinnamon hospitality.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very nice hotel, even great building, some nice staff,..but unfortunately it lacks a good Management. The Cashier was so bad that he didn't refund my balance trying to play the "busy man", so I forget my money. I stayed two times (three nights each)...The hotel is great, one of the oldest hotels in Town...but Rude Management, if there is any. I had a problem with my room (reserved for a couple...mmeaning Two person, in case the staff doesn't know what it means): But amnities were: one towel, one shampoo, one of every thing...etc..... so I called the H.K. they brought one other towel, without any hand towel, no face towel, one slipper. At evening turn down service: one chocolate, one flower....??? I called, they said yes but no action. Three nights are the same. Every morning or night,I had to call for a 2nd thing, trying to make them understand: WE ARE TWO IN THE ROOM. , but no chance. On our 5th night andthe same thing being repeated, I called the Duty Manager. Imagine: 11 times (yes eleven) I called no answer. I called the operatyor who trasfered me to the D.M desk twice...: No answer, hen I called for a 14th (yes 14) times the operator who transfered me to the D. M cellphone (Mobile phone)...No answer neither.... . On the 15the time, I was angry at the Operator who finally connected me to a lady, who said she was the D. M. ... . Finally she listened to me and I asked her either to come or send somebody to my room: she sent a Guest Services Officer "Andrew" to my room who was so professionnal and so kind who finally saw for himself and understood my problem.
I think this is more than enough
This is not my first visit to Colombo (Sri Lanka), and I am establishing a new business there, but I am sure, it will be my last one to Cinnamon Grand...I guess I have to go back to my (Old) best hotel in the city.

Room Tip: I stayed two times (three nights each)...The hotel is great, one of the oldest hotels in Town...but...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo for the third time and for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Let me begin by sincerely apologizing for the severe inconvenience experienced by you, during your stay with us. The problems you encountered is not in keeping with the high standard that we try to portray at all times; However, I would request you personally, to give us another chance to truly experience the grand indulgence of Cinnamon Grand.

In the meanwhile, I shall really appreciate if you would give us more details such as your name and address; dates of stay, (arrival & departure) contact details etc., via our e-mail address indicated below, for us to look into this matter and take corrective action.

gm.grand@cinnamonhotels.com
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed at cinnamon grand for the first two nights of our honeymoon in Sri Lanka . Efficient check in and our room was lovely with a great view of the pool. We were on the 5th floor. Plenty of staff available for any assistance. Room was large and had everything in it we needed and more . We ate at Tao one night and the Lagoon on the other . Food was amazing! Drinks quite expensive though. Breakfast Buffett was lovely with a huge choice .... As a vegetarian I would have liked to have seen vegetarian sausages as an option +/- quorn bacon although I am not sure if this is available in Sri Lanka. Pool is lovely with plenty of loungers and towels provided. It is very much a business hotel which was great for us as hardly anyone around the pool! Really nice complimentary steam room , jacuzzi etc in adjacent building- seperate for men and women. Additional roof top pool although we didn't use this one. Tourist office right opposite the hotel which was very handy. Overall a great stay.... Set a very high standard for the rest if our honeymoon hotels! Thank you cinnamon grand.

Karen & Steve , London, England

• Stayed October 2012
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo on the first two nights of your honeymoon in Sri Lanka.

It was such a pleasure reading your complimentary review on TripAdvisor and we are most delighted you had a great stay. Thank you for appreciating our location, standard of service and amenities. In our endeavour to provide the best possible experience to all our valued guests such impressions as yours are definitely an encouragement to us.

We are glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the experience of some of our restaurants and we do look forward to your next visit to enjoy more of our culinary delights, cinnamon hospitality and for yet another memorable stay at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Cinnamon Grand is a great hotel, especially the service at the Breeze Bar Restaurant and Pool. We always look forward to the waiter Kushal and his senior captain Kapila who go out of their way to serve you with great satisfaction.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for patronizing the Breeze Bar at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and we do appreciate your comments on TripAdvisor.

We are glad you enjoyed the facilities and service; and in particular, the services provided by Kushal and Kapila. I will certainly be pleased to convey your appreciation to them.

We take this opportunity to thank you once again for your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of indulging you with more of our Cinnamon hospitality, when you visit us again.

Tumby Bay, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were looking forward to ending our Sri Lanka holiday on a high note.

On checking in at Cinnamon Grand reception we were given a room key and sent to our room unescorted. On arrival we found we has been allocated a small room containing only twin beds that was not even prepared for 3 guests.The intention apparently was for them to add a fold up bed. If they had done so the room would have been wall to wall beds with no room for 3 quests plus 3 large suitcases etc Surely if the rooms are not big enough bookings should not be accepted for tripple occupancy.. Two hours later after complaining to the manager we were given a suite with a separate bedroom and had one fold out bed installed in the dining area and another bed in the TV area. Not ideal but at least it was very spacious.
The requirement for 3 single beds proved a hassle in all but one place throughout our stay in Sri Lanka but was expecting more from a 5 star establishment.
The manager arranged complimentary wine, fruit and chocolates to appease us but the problem should have been avoided in the first place.
The hotel itself was quite plush with an elaborate buffet breakfast. The location next door to shops was convenient and a good base for touring Colombo.

Room Tip: Dont expect too much even if it claims to be 5 star
Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and your comments on TripAdvisor.

Whilst we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you were faced with during your check-in, we assure you that this issue has been addressed and corrective measures taken to ensure there is no recurrence in the future.

We also sincerely hope that these shortfalls will not deter you from staying with us; instead you would give us another opportunity to indulge you with our Cinnamon hospitality, should you visit Sri Lanka in the future.

Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is the best hotel i have stayed in Sri Lanka while we were travelling. Breakfast was great, i love the hotel location and design. The staff are very professional and friendly.i definitely would love to stay in this hotel again and longer time next time when i come to Sri Lanka

2 Thank MalcolmW678
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your complimentary review on TripAdvisor, of your stay at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

We are delighted that you loved our hotel, location and design and enjoyed your breakfast. Thank you also for commending our staff. Indeed, we do look forward to welcome you to a longer stay that will enable you to experience more of our dining options and give us the opportunity to indulge you with more of our cinnamon hospitality.

Greater Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hotel was pleasant enough but it was not really international 5 star class
Check in albeit in the middle of the night was slow and given I had come off a long flight aggravating.
The staff in the cafe off the lobby did not speak even basic English
The hotel provides a car service however the driver I got was trying his best to scam me to do things that I did not want to do, in fact he became a pest that I had to get rid of him

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

We are most concerned with your feedback and would appreciate if you could kindly let us know more details regarding the issues faced by you, via our e-mail address indicated below, such as dates of your stay, name of the driver etc., for us to look into this matter and take corrective action. In the meantime, please accept our sincere apologies.

We do hope you will respond to our email address and that these experiences will not prevent you from staying with us, when you visit Sri Lanka again.

e-mail: gm.grand@cinnamonhotels.com