“Very good ”
Review of OZO Colombo

OZO Colombo
Ranked #13 of 55 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Worth for the price. 5 star facilties at a 4 star rate indeed. Prices starting from 95USD (city faced-day time rate)
If its overnight stay 105 USD. City faced site is not that interesting.Anyhow overall room facilities looks build all are 5 star grade.
Need to try their rooftop restaurant next.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnushkaWijepala
Damian B, General Manager at OZO Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Thank you for the review about your recent visit to OZO Colombo.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and quality of the hotel.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future, and for you to try our rooftop as you mentioned.

I am sure you will be impressed with the fantastic views that it has to offer.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,594)

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We checked in on 7th June 2014 and it was their official opening ceremony and we receive complimentary dinner buffet (Thanks OZO!). Dinner was average though we loved the Breakfast buffet at EAT restaurant (Breakfast is around LKR 1300++ something for outside guests as I learned and worth for money). we liked the cosy rooms and bed linen. we could not check out the rooftop bar or pool. I guess OZO Colombo has lot to offer and potential and wish them all the best :-)
I hope they start sunday Brunch soon and worth checking this hotel again...

Room Tip: Choose higher floor with Sea View
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

As you have mentioned, the 7th of June was our official opening, which was conducted by the President of Sri Lanka.

We were happy to be able to offer you a complimentary dinner buffet on this night, and I will be sure to pass on your comments to Chef about both the dinner and breakfast.

We will soon be starting our Sunday Brunch, and I thank you for your kind words of wishing us well for the future.

I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Having stayed in 3 hotels in Colombo in the last month (Cinnamon Grand, Ramada and Ozo), I thought I'd write a bit about my experiences with each one. I chose Ozo because it was new and it had sea-front views and it did not disappoint.
Good points:
1. Really very nice ocean views. The ocean facing dream rooms give you a direct sea view whilst the other dream rooms give you an almost as good side view of the sea. It was very nice to see trains go past, people taking a pee in to sea (really) and buildings new and old - ruined and modern. This kinda encapsulates Colombo - change and development in an otherwise older city.
2. The beds and sheets were super-comfy.
3. The armchair is deserving of mention as to how comfortable it was.
4. The air-condition is good and thermostat easy to use - easily intuitive as opposed to some new hotels where it's so high tech you need to be a tech wiz to figure out how to use the stuff.
5. Bedside lights ergonomic and easy to use
6. Loads of powerpoints so you'll never be lacking a place too charge your stuff and they are situated all round the room and there are a lot near the desk.
7. Toilet it modern and rain-shower is great withy good water pressure.
8. Bar fridge with ample space to stuff some of your own drinks
9. Breakfast is ample and satisfactory. May not have the spread of some 5 star establishments but it was tasty and ample i.e. great egg station, sausages, bacon, pastry, cold cuts, fruits, cereal, etc. The EAT restaurant has spectacular sea fronting views which alone should be a drawing point.
10. Large LCD Samsung TV.
11. Ergonomic chair and desk on wheels - a bit on the small side but ample and there is a good shelf on the side to put your other stuff.
12. Staff were friendly and courteous
13. Towels nice and fluffy
14. Infinity pool on the roof-top is small but views are just great. Great for a dip after a hot day out.
Not so good points
1. No bathtub (not an issue for me) but if you want one - look for another hotel
2. Hotel has its own taxi/cars but the price is a bit stiff - even when compared with other hotels i.e. Galle Face, Cinnamon Grand, Hilton, etc.
3. They assured me of transport that would adequately seat 5 from airport - but they sent a car so we had to wait another 40 minutes, then they sent a Kia Sorrento which has 5 seats so my daughter had to sit on my wife's lap for about 40 minutes.
4. Location is a bit away from touristy stuff so you need a three wheeler or hotel car or taxi - you won't be able to walk to much from here
5. Task lighting is very good but overall the room could be a bit dark
6. Ocean facing rooms don't interconnect - so we had one ocean facing and 2 dream rooms (which do interconnect).
Conclusion: For the price of the room including breakfast and the views - it's difficult to beat at the moment. The Ramada room costs more and is certainly less good (although the location is more 'central'). I'd definitely come back to stay again so long as they don't hike up the prices too much in future.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank snowbunny35
Damian B, General Manager at OZO Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest recently.

Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of many good points that you enjoyed about your stay, and also for some constructive points for our review.

It is with such feedback that allows us to review and adjust our services where necessary.

I hope that we can welcome you back again as our guest should the situation arise in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stopped at Ozo today (9th June 2014) and it is the second day the hotel has been open which means all the other reviews on here are bogus (both positive and negative).

Very nice place though. Rooftop bar and pool is very cool (and would be absolutely spectacular if you could remove the smog). The room isn't huge but well laid out and the hotel aims to be paperless so most transactions can be carried out via the TV/internet system they have in all the rooms. Staff are very friendly and the food in the restaurant is reasonable. Haven't checked out the surrounding areas but the hotel is positioned right between a number of fairly run down buildings so I'm not sure about the aesthetics of strolling around the neighbourhood. Trains run alongside the road between the road and the beach which is actually quite beautiful to watch and can't be heard from the rooms.
Overall well worth checking out if you're in Colombo and have the budget.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Damian B, General Manager at OZO Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to OZO Colombo.

The hotel actually soft opened to the public on May 12th, and we have been accepting guests for our rooms, F&B outlets, as well as functions, from this date. The official grand opening which was conducted by the President of Sri Lanka, was carried out on June 7th. We have actually been opened for almost 1 month now.

I am happy to hear that you seemed to enjoyed your overall stay with us, and I will be sure to share your feedback with my team.

I hope that if the situation arises, we can welcome you back again as our guest. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

After a two week holiday in Sri Lanka, I stumbled across the newly opened OZO hotel for my final night, I was upgraded to an ocean view room and had a late check-out as part of the opening special (a definite bonus!) *WoW* is all I can say from start to finish! From the moment I arrived at the hotel I was provided exceptional customer service from the paperless check-in (very forward thinking) to the tour of the hotel including the rooftop bar and explanation of my room amenities.

The rooms are well decorated, extremely fresh and modern, fabulous views, the beds are divine, wonderfully lush and soft, it was tough getting up in the morning! Wonderful bathroom, including walk-in shower with good quality toiletries provided. Good lighting, water pressure and temperature (a highlight after my previous two weeks in the country!)

The rooftop bar and pool area are superb, a complete oasis away from the chaos of Colombo. I definitely recommend heading here for a relaxing drink/dinner after a day in the city. Even though the hotel was still in soft launch phase and the bar was not officially open, the staff arranged for a meal and drinks so I could enjoy the ambience of the Colombo night views (thanks to the staff for going over and above, it was much appreciated!)

Breakfast was a buffet although not a full buffet that some people might expect, there was a very good range of food available including a good mix of traditional and western food, cheeses, nuts and fresh fruit with staff on hand to explain foods unfamiliar with. You couldn't ask for anything more.

As with any new establishment, I'm sure there will be some teething issues as staff and the hotel settle into being the new kid on the block, so definitely do yourself a favour and enjoy the beauty of this new hotel. The only downside to my stay was I had to leave after one night!

Well done to the management team and all the staff on a job well done, and all the best for a successful future.

A few tips:
- Consider including the Colombo City Walking Tour during your stay, a great way to see the city sights.
- Take a hotel card with you, being so new the tuk-tuk drivers are only starting to be familiar with the location
- Negotiate tuk-tuk price instead of meter, if coming from the city, 300 rupees.
- Galle Road in walking distance, definitely head to Barefoot for good quality purchases
- In any souvenir shop, if you don't like the staff following you around, a polite "please give me some space and I'll come to you if I have a question" worked perfectly!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. Such comprehensive feedback is appreciated.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed everything about your stay with us, and as you mentioned, its a shame it was for only one night. We would love to be able to welcome you back as our guest again in the future, should the situation arise.

I will be sure to share your positive feedback with my team.

Thank you also for adding a few tips to consider for other readers. Some good advice.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

From the moment we came off the long flight and was outside the hotel , the staff said it all about the hotel
It was a very fast check in , and Service was excellent and food was very vey good.
The best sleep I could ever have I must say as the rooms are very cosy
A must the roof top bar where we spent two nights just chilling , ( if you go to the roof top speak to DAN he is the man and his team that were always ready and happy to help with all our enquiries x

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank 01KAL
Damian B, General Manager at OZO Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed a fast check in procedure. By installing our IPAD check in system, it allows our guests a quick, efficient and painless check in.

I will also be sure to pass on your positive feedback to Chef Stefan about the food, and also to Dan and his team on the rooftop bar and lounge - ON14.

The sleep experience is a very important part of what we promise when staying at an OZO property, so I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room, as well as " the best sleep".

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future if the situation arises.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

This newly opened hotel occupies a great location on Colombo Marine Drive. I was there for three nights on a business trip and was upgraded to a sea facing room as a part of their opening offer. Service was excellent and food was very good. The Check in staff could do with a bit of fine tuning, but other staff were very co operative. Room amenities were also up to the mark. Location is not very far from Galle Street which is main Colombo. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ravi W

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the great location of the hotel. As you mentioned, we are close to Galle Road and the main city centre. Happy to also hear that you enjoyed the views of the sea facing room, which we call "Dream Ocean View" rooms. Fantastic uninterrupted views.

Thank you for the positive feedback on the food and service, and I will be sure to share this with my team.

I'm sorry to hear that your check in process was not up to your expectations, I apologize for this, and will follow up with my team on where we can improve.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay, and we hope to be able to welcome you back to OZO Colombo in the future, should the situation arise.