“Almost left but pleased I stayed”

Global Towers Hotel
Ranked #30 of 55 Hotels in Colombo
Essex
“Almost left but pleased I stayed”
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I arrived late (afer midnight) so wasn't at my best. Safe in the room wouldn't lock, no hair drier, no tea/coffee making facilities, air conditioning very poor, stickers on windows saying don't open, hot water luke warm, no information in room about the hotel - didn't know time of breakfast etc. Went to sleep thinking that I would leave the next day!
Woke up feeling more positive - the bed was comfortable, I'd managed to remember how to use a TV and separate digibox (2 remotes) and looked out of the window.........
what a view! the hotel is opposite a safe bathing beach (watch out for the trains on the railway track you have to cross) and is a stone's throw from the best fish restaurant in Colombo, some say the world, the Beach Wadiya. The staff found me a hair drier and showed me where the hot water switch was hiding. The restaurant is open all day, there is a beauty salon where they do the most amazing full body massage for 4000 rupees and a small swimming pool - good to cool down in. The reason for not leaving window open became obvious - monsoon winds would take it off hinges. I tied back the balcony door so it couldn't do any damage.
I was there just 3 nights but peeked into one of the appartments and would definately be interested in staying longer in one of those. I've stayed in the Galadari but to be honest enjoyed this hotel more.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank ChalkyEssex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Australia - We loved this hotel. Excellent location and wonderful staff. Would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Colombo.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank LorraineMelbourne
Male'
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I booked this Hotel from the : 11 Apr - 19 Apr. room 903
The reservation was very smooth and since it was our second trip we were given special rate US$.90 +++ per night (approx. US$.115/= nett) with city view & kitchen facilities it was a two room apartment.
The reservations went very smooth and was given a special rate.
I booked this hotel for a weeks peace to be with friends and family.

On the 17th we had a friend fly in to Colombo to join us.
I booked a Car from the hotel since from the last times experience I new it was safe and combatable and with quality that the hotel offered its transport.
So I dint book anything local which is also not bad at all. but I did want to impress my guest.
To my surprise they sent some sought of a mini van with no air conditioner on it.
They just said to my friend who arrived that there was no car available.
They could have said this to me when I booked it. I spoke to the Front office manager apologized and said it would not happen again.
On check out we were held down for some extra charge for damaged goods ?????
It was a towel with a stain on it I could have understood if it was socking with paint and if it was torn apart.
I felt very humiliated because they even bought this to the front office for discussion which was humiliating for me and for my friends.
I was very annoyed the way that the Hotel handled us.
The staff are friendly and was tipped well.
Unprofessional management !!!
No I would not go back to this hotel again.

• Liked — 2 bed room apartments are with a lot of space.
  • Disliked — room floors are not mopped
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank mohamedseeneen

Travelers are raving about these Colombo hotels

chicago
Reviewed February 19, 2007

i booked my travel using asiatravel.com.

I stayed for 7 days. I paied $75 dollars/night for this hotel.

Here are are my opinions.

1. Close to Wellawatte Market area.
2. Beach View is not that great compared to Mount Lavania Hotel or Galadari Hotel
3. Room Service is bad, the not all staff personal speak english.
4. When complained about the small room, they were not able to find another room.
5. Towels were old and not fresh.
6. Bathroom needs some work. water leaks after shower outside the tub or the shower stall.
7. Rates are high for a 3 star hotel.
8. rather stay in Galadari or Mount which is a five star hotel.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank traveltick
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed August 26, 2006

On the whole I agree with the previous reviewer from Winnipeg. My husband, 6 month old baby and I spent 3 months in GT whilst looking for somewhere to live in Colombo. The appartments are great - you get a washing machine and a fully-equipped kitchen - so we were able to cook our own food and live very comfortably and independently. At the same time there are all the services that a hotel usually provides i.e. housekeeping, daily newspaper, room service (the menu is quite limited though - especially after 3 months!), taxi, doctor etc. The small pastry shop downstairs is a godsend. It is also situated in a great location with easy access to all the main parts of Colombo. What I really liked about GT was the 5 star standards but without the total overcharging and pretentiousness of the more well-known hotels.

I would say there are two negatives worth mentioning

1. Due to its seaside location it is very popular for weddings and parties on the roof and so can be quite noisy if you are on an upper floor.

2.The other thing to watch out for is their very archaic accounting system. On a number of occasions they were not able to trace our bulk payments of extras. We had been given a receipt but as we didn't know at first that it has to be stamped with 'PAID' on it, we were told it wasn't valid! So we ended up paying all extras such as room service, telephone calls, internet use on the spot to avoid future confusion - which was a bit of a pain over such a long period.

But don't let that put you off - it is very friendly and surprisingly informal for such a hotel. Oh and check out the Samudhra Spa - very nice staff and good treatments.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
9 Thank Limatango
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 12, 2006

Good value for the price. Wide range of room and suite sizes. My two roomies and I share a long-term, large, fully-equipped, 3-bedroom suite, c/w separate full baths, kitchen, living room, dining room space, five balconies, 200 metres from the Indian Ocean. Free use of the rooftop - with excellent views of the ocean and the city. Secure, clean, quiet... can't be beat.

South of Colombo's city centre, across Station Avenue from the rail-line (between you and the ocean); good beach, excellent restaurant in hotel - open 24 hours; pool/hot-tub, sauna, beauty shop, massage service, Gem/Jewellry Shop, Pastry Shop. Clean, efficient hotel-owned taxis. Smaller independent eateries nearby. Tuk-tuks (3-wheelers) at the main entrance for the adventurous shopper/tourist.

Global's staff is one of the most well-balanced groups I’ve encountered in my travels. And this applies to everyone from front desk to door-men, to maintenance, food preparation, dining room and room service, taxi drivers, and security personnel, They are uniformly polite, cheerful, accommodating, aware of guests’ needs, attentive to housekeeping and security requirements, and exhibit other positive features. Among their social graces, Global's staff is willing to share personal anecdotes and patiently explain Sri Lankan cultural and other features of daily life.

Altho’ quite engaging, Global's staff’s conduct is never intrusive. I recommend that my colleagues, family, and friends make this hotel their first choice for accommodation in Colombo. Unlike some other top-quality hotels, Global has a “homey atmosphere”.

Recommended for business or family travellers, short or long-term.

Stayed May 2006