“Over priced, small rooms and poor service”

Global Towers Hotel
Ranked #30 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Gurgaon
“Over priced, small rooms and poor service”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 8th November for 3 nights as all the 5-stars in Colombo were blocked for CHOGM dignatories. The location of the hotel is good and it faces the sea. The rooms ar every basic and do not justify the price of USD 155 per night that we paid. The rooms are extremely small, AC's noisy, inadequate draperies as the light seeps through the curtains in the morning. The service is bad as my request for an extra pillow took several reminders and then I had to finally hunt a housekeeping staff on my floor and literally beg him for an extra pillow. The amenities provided are pathetic - bathroom soaps and shampoo are poor quality, even the creamer sachet provided with tea/coffee maker in room is sub-standard quality! Wonder why the hotel cannot spend a little bit on these to make its guests feel better!! The restaurant food is bad and takes hours to prepare. we ordered Pizza and Club sandwich which took almost 50 minutes to arrive and both the items were downright BAD! I do not reccommend anyone to stay here at a price of more than 30-40 USD per night as it does NOT deserve any higher tariff!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Amreekibilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Tangalle, Sri Lanka
Reviewed November 25, 2013

we have meeting in there in last week its nice location easy to reach . near to beach nice location but Average Service
food also Average not up to there level very small to choos..........
After 1 st day they change our meeting room they use bar change the setting its not fit to meeting......

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Karachi
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night and had an apartment. The quality of rooms was not that great. No blankets available in the room either and the beds were hard for some of us to sleep in. Food in the main restaurant was just ok. No good view either of the beach. We had a 23 inch TV amongst the two rooms.

Stayed November 2013
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

You call house keeping or room service or reception nobody will be going to answer your call in evening time. We wanted a blanket, for that have to wait for one and half hour after going down to the reception twice. Rooms are very small and uncomfortable, when we asked the manager to give us a big room, he denied. Free wifi in the lobby is just a charity without any cause. It doesnt works at all. From god's grace able to find nice food in its restaurant and a good waiter who served us well...Rest the staff doesn't bother to serve you.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Priyanka D

Travelers are raving about these Colombo hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 11, 2013

It's a below average hotel. Rooms are small and cramped with furniture. The air conditioning seems to be from a different era where the part of the room the duct faces is cold and the rest of the room is hot. There were no towels beside the sink in the bathrooms. There were no blankets on the bed. The bed only had a bedspread. The service was bad and it took about forty five mins for someone to come up and fix all these problems. The food was bad and the croissants served were stale. The internet connection kept fluctuating. The reception desk took half an hr to check us in. There was no one to help us with our luggage and we had to drag it up about 10 steps to reach the lift. All the electric sockets in the room were designed to cater to European gadgets. As the sockets in India and Sri Lanka are the same, we had not carried a universal electric socket with us. The hotel did not do anything about it, but it was an overnight stay and my phone pulled through the night. I will never go to this hotel again and unless there are drastic changes made in the all the above, I think it would be wise if you could put this one as the last hotel in your list of places to stay in Colombo.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for a business trip, while I was familiarizing myself with the market on budget hotels. First of all, this hotel is not budget, it still charges 100$ a night.

I arrived late after a long day at work. So all I wanted was my room in a hurry. Took them about 20min for the check-in. Great impression. It appeared to me that no one at the reception knew what they were doing. There were about 5 people at the desk at the same time but the ineffectiveness they had achieved, I had never seen before. And I stay in a lot of hotels. They must be the most effective hotel team on earth.

Then they brought me to the room. This building must have been built as apartments and not a hotel. The rooms are so tiny and very poorly furnished. Staying at that room felt so depressing that I had to drink a bottle of wine just to pass out.

I woke early and checked out at around 7am before having my breakfast. I cannot judge the breakfast but I really did not want to try. During check-out there was the same issue. No one knew what they were doing. Took them another 15min by when I lost my nerves. I booked through my agent which had paid for the hotel, but because they took so long I paid it myself so I could finally leave this place of horror.

The best thing was this: One of the older guys at the reception said he used to work at Hilton before. Wonder why he is not working there anymore.

Don't even think of this place. I went straight back to the Taj and stayed there. I had enough of bad hotels...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Mendes Osiris C
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Our group stayed here on our last night in two doubles and a triple room. Had a few problems. The two couples in our group were shown to a two bedroom hotel apartment on the 9th floor city side. Good, big basic rooms with living room, balcony, kitchen and even a maids room and bathroom. Then the three of us were shown to a room next door which was small and dark with no external window, and very cramped with a double and single bed - lovely. It all worked out in the end as it turned out this room had a connecting door with the apartment which someone finally found a key for and opened so one of the couples in our party took this double, the single bed was moved to the living room and two of us took the twin. It shouldn't have been rocket science for us to have been given a three bedroom apartment in the first place. The rooms smelt musty but housekeeping aired them and after the ac started up, were fine. Great view from the top floor roof garden in the morning. Can't comment on food as I didn't eat breakfast but the tea/coffee tray provided in the kitchen needed a round pin socket which I couldn't find anywhere in the apartment, had to use my travel adaptor, all the sockets were square pin! Room keys an issue as only one given to our group, when we requested more they said duplicates wouldn't work and we would have to be let into our rooms by security if needed! Probably not stay here again.

Stayed November 2013