“Wonderful respite from Colombo hustle and bustle”

The Havelock Place Bungalow
Ranked #11 of 148 Colombo B&B and Inns
Cape Town
“Wonderful respite from Colombo hustle and bustle”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This charming hotel is a tranquil escape from the hubbub of Columbo city centre. The rooms are traditional and bathrooms modern and connected through wonderful courtyards and water pools. Friendly helpful staff and generous home-feel cooked breakfast complete the hospitality.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Alison G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I spent four nights on a business trip in April-May 2014 in this nice old house. Rooms are simple, but very charming and clean. The small hotel in a quite garden has everything you need and more: a good restaurant, a friendly and helpful staff and a fancy pool.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank victormerten
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed in Colombo for a week in May 2014, and enjoyed our time at the Havelock Place Bungalow enormously. It's a small oasis in the bustling city: central yet quiet, green and calm. Clean rooms, good beds with firm mattresses, fantastic breakfasts (also true for lunch and dinner), reliable internet, lovely service. Much better than a large hotel!

Room Tip: If you are in Colombo for work, ask for one of the bigger rooms (2 and 3) – they have a good-sized d...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Andreas K
havelockplacebungalo, Owner at The Havelock Place Bungalow, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time off to review our property It is always a pleasure to me and my staff to have a satisfied guest.
Hope we see you back at The Bungalow someday.
Cambodia
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Pros - Colonial bungalow, lots of green spaces, understated elegant décor.
Cons - Shoddy service, my server could hardly comprehend English, very cantankerous Manager---the lady had oodles of attitude and very short on patience--needs to brush up on her people skills--had a go at her staff in our presence and was very rude --also short on patience while responding to our queries, Quirky washroom design---floor dirty when I visited and the switch panel outside had grubby finger stains around it---Most surprising of all, I noticed a panty liner cover outside the washroom door in the main walkway--surprisingly it was still on the floor in plain view when we were exiting the premises---- Very poor attention to basic details.
The food---
Moroccan steak was terribly overdone and chewy----nothing Moroccan about it, pork chop was terribly chewy and overtly sweet, Sri Lankan chili beef was the saving grace---great flavor but the rice accompaniment was hard and probably rushed to our table before it was fully steamed,
For the prices charged, one would expect --Better service and more attention to housekeeping detail.
I would also suggest that the Manager improve her attitude towards her staff and guests.
Pity --Its a lovely colonial property and could give The Paradise Road café a run for their money---if only they get their act together.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
I am sorry you were unhappy with your visit to the restaurant.I will look into this.As for the reference to the panty liner this is the first time we have had a complaint of this nature and it is hard to believe as first I wonder how it got there and it would have been picked up as it is the main walkway which is constantly used by us.
As for the manageress she is known to be very helpful and this is quite out of character.
jakarta
Reviewed May 7, 2014

A quite place to write and reflect on ones journey, plan and meet friends. In a central location, quite and reflective. A place where I can listen to the birds singing and write. I can sit in the pool to cool off, I don't have to put the air conditioning on if I open the window and watch the happening in the garden. The food is good, as a vegetarian I would like to see more vegetarian sections and more curries. The bread is homemade and so are the various Jams and marmalade. I have stayed there twice in April for a total of three nights the first time and two nights before my departure. The staff is helpful the management responsive and considerate. It is an alternative to big hotels, it is like going home and have a room of your own. I will be going there again.

Room Tip: If you want a small colonial room and you don't mind being in the middle of the house, number 7...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here after arriving in Sri Lanka, it was like a little oasis, so pretty and very quiet and relaxing. We stayed in room 5 with the outside bathroom, which was beautiful. Ate in the restraint in the evening, food was really good. Staff all very helpful, will be back next time we are in Colombo.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 28, 2014

In January 2014 I stayed at this hotel with following the local friend's recommendation as my first stay in Colombo. Then, I've fallen love this hotel, it gave me strike into my taste as I have to admit that I am quite picky person what I can satisfy for my taste. So, I came back three months later with bringing my husband from Europe. My husband was same, he instantly loved so much this type of hotel, so he did not want to go out anywhere in Colombo, just whole day stayed at the hotel. Nowadays, it is so difficult to find this sort of hotel, it is secret treasure in Colombo. In fact, I would rather prefer to keep it as our secret place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
havelockplacebungalo, Owner at The Havelock Place Bungalow, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
I am glad your husband enjoyed his stay as much as you did. looking forward to seeing both of you back someday.