“Decent hotel for Colombo”
Review of Renuka City Hotel

Renuka City Hotel
Ranked #23 of 55 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Renuka Hotel has renovated so that Renuka and Renuka City Hotel are very different and marketed as two separate Hotels, which they are not. We stayed in Renuka City, the newer building to tower over the Colombo skyline. The place was clean, very friendly service and seemed professional. The pool on the roof is a highlight but if you are going in peak season December-April, then don't expect to get a sun lounger unless you're prepared to get up at a ridiculous time. We are English and only encountered a couple of other English people, a lot of the other tourists were friendly but when it came to getting a good picture of them in the pool at sunset or something they were decidedly rude and it was everyman for himself. The gentleman working there endeavoured to find a chair for you, running round asking people if they were using the 6million chairs they were using up, which meant you didn't have to do it. This was a massive plus.
The only other downside was that it was veery noisy outside our room and we talked to the staff about it they just said the man next you was drunk and laughed. It didn't spoil our trip but I was surprised!
The restaurant is pleasantly surprising, my boyfriend thought it was great and it was nice the way they don't really pander to western tastes too much. I found mild things I liked and my boyfriend got stuck in with local cuisine.

We paid quite a lot, about £100 a night for a deluxe room with breakfast. Maybe a little more. All in all a friendly modern place with large clean rooms and a decent breakfast.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

The hotel consists of an old hotel and a new one just on the other side of the street. I stayed in the new part for 5 nights. The room was clean, spacious and everything was working fine. The breakfast is nice. There is a bus close to the hotel that brings you to the city center. A big supermarket is within walking distances. I'd stay again in this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Frille
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed here for two nights while on a two weeks holiday in Sri Lanka. A clean and well maintained property that is 10 mins walk away from Galle Face Green. We were lucky to get a quiet room as I think the rooms facing Galle Road will be subjected to the incessant honking from the traffic. The breakfast isn't great with limited choices and the pillows were terrible. All in all, a clean and basic hotel for a short stay in Colombo.

Room Tip: Get a room away from Galle Road if you value a good night rest
1  Thank BryanMah
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed here for one night and was enough. This is a medium-sized-to-big "international-like" type of hotel (meaning that has no personality) with all the useless stuff you can expect from a place like this (TV -ours was not flat, but I don't take holidays to watch the TV anyway-, minibar, gym -some free weights and 5-7 fitness machines-, and a small pool nicely located on the roof). I would personally prefer a clean, well-run and friendly place than having all these futile things, but this is just my opinion. Now, when we arrived, after 2 weeks traveling around Sri Lanka, the person in the reception offered us a room. My partner looked at it and wanted to see another one (this was in front of Galle Road, so it was very noisy; note that they are not soundproof). The second one they showed her was quiter and cheaper. Anyway, when it came to register, a rude man asked us our passports and made me pay in advance (something I wouldn't care to do, but never had before in Sri Lanka and also rarely in other places). All together I took it as a sign of disrespect and a lack of professionalism.
As for the room, it was not clean, there were spots in the window curtains and bugs in the bathroom. The room was not as noisy as those in front of Galle Road, but the views were on the concrete building in front...
Otherwise, the service was good (excluding, of course, reception).
All in all, it's a relatively expensive place not worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sajeewa P, Manager at Renuka City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Please note that it is an international hotel policy to ask for an upfront payment for accommodation. Even Agoda and Booking.com ask for payment in advance. Only the extras are settled on departure.

We have always tried to provide the best facilities and service possible in our price range.

We are centrally located in Colombo 3. Our hotel facilities include a rooftop infinity pool with a fitness centre, free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, a restaurant serving authentic Sri Lankan, Indian and Continental Cuisine, two well stocked bars, laundry and dry cleaning services, a business centre, airport transfers, parking facilities and much more.

All our 99 rooms (including 24 deluxe rooms) come equipped with a host of facilities, including flat screen TVs with local and cable channels, air-conditioning, safety deposit lockers, mini-fridges, 24hr room service, tea/coffee making facilities, bath amenities, Wi-Fi, IDD call facilities and much more.
I hope you will visit us again and try the full range of services we have to offer at Renuka City Hotel.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

On a trip after my work completion had a flight to catch up early morning and had a short brief stay at this hotel. There were minor issues about the AC but it was sorted out and had not much trouble after that. Checked in late night and departed early hours of the day. Though Im not sure about the other things but definitely the hotel is ideally located for a business trip and on the less expensive side of the stay. The view from my room was more or less was like peeping into some one else bedroom of another building.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
We are ideally located in the heart of Colombo.
We are competitively priced for all the facilities we provide which include a rooftop infinity pool with a fitness centre, free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, a restaurant serving authentic Sri Lankan, Indian and Continental Cuisine, two well stocked bars, laundry and dry cleaning services, a business centre, airport transfers, parking facilities and much more.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed in Renuka for just one day. It is good but my room is in the old wing so the room is a little bit old but at least its clean and there bellman is very attentive in there guest. The food is quite good. All I don't like is that you can hear the ringing of the phone from time to time from the outside. In all, its a nice hotel with a nice staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff. We always try to provide the best facilities and service possible in our price range. We look forward to seeing you again soon at Renuka City Hotel.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I opted for the new wing --Renuka City hotel-by remitting few extra US $.I was only one ,among our team members,who made online booking well in advane and remitted the room tariff.Expectations were high from this new wing.It was very unfortunate not to get early check in.I had to wait for a very long time.I got my room only at 12.10 hrs.That was the first disappointment.Though I was prepared to pay half day charges,I didnot get the deluxe room in new wing.I spent most of my time near swimming pool.
The size of my room in City wing ,as informed by all other members who stayed in old wing-Renuka Hotel,is bigger .It has bare minimum basic amenities.Single occupancy means a single towel,a single hand towel,only one smallest soap,etc etc.I always dislike this policy
of provision for bare minimum amenities.However it is neat and clean..The hotel occupany is full.The hotel is centrally located in Galle Road with Casinos,a number of restaurants around.Kollupitiya railway staion is very closeby.Indian Ocean is very nearer to hotel.One can enjoy both morning and evening jogging.The services of house keeping ,Bell desk and front desk are satisfactory.Breakfast is arranged in a restaurant in the basement of Old wing.Not a very impressive one though it is reasonably big one. Not a lavish breakfast..Quality of food was not of my liking.I was not very happy,but content with a continental type of breakfast.The staff though donot appear to be very well trained, are good.Conference room is reasonably good,though approach is very narrow.while check in process was painful,checkout process even before 07.00 am was very smooth.I didnot carry any memories to recommend this hotel.Nothing great .It is simply a basic hotel but the Deluxe room in City wing is well maintained..

Room Tip: Sea facing Room may be preferred.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We always try to provide the best facilities and service possible in our price range. We look forward to seeing you again soon at Renuka City Hotel.