“An OK Place”

Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
Kathmandu
“An OK Place”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The place is average. The rooms are basic but clean. The rooms have no view. However, the breakfast buffet is good, especially the Sri Lanka dishes. The service is nothing special; but the staff is polite and cordial.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Arabic first
Bangalore, India
Reviewed January 14, 2013

No news paper provided. No hot water in reality. No quality TV channels. Restaurant having very limited food menu for Indian food. Food costs are little higher for the quality they provide. Untrained local guys for restaurant services and a black stout guy often disturbed with silly and stupid questions like food is good? every time I ate there and tried to clear the table before I finish.
Business trip, so i used this hotel only to sleep at night. Ok to try for solo travelers.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Leadhar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed in October for 6 nights during the cricket World Cup, the hotel was very clean, staff were very friendly and the breakfast was perfect.
The only downside is there was some building work going on next door meaning it was quite loud in the morning and it was always hit and miss with hotel pronunciation with tuk-tuks! But overall it was exactly as we wanted and perfect value for staying in Colombo.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My visit to Colombo was a nostalgic visit. I looked up for a hotel on the internet to suit my requirement and budget. Renuka Hotel came up with my requirements. The location was perfect. The price per night was slightly more than I expected but I was willing to pay for the comfort offered. I checked in to the new wing called Renuka City Hotel. The bathroom was extremely clean and fresh linen was provided. Due to hot weather I had to have showers three to four times a day and housekeeping happily provided the extra towels (had to call twice or thrice to get the towels). Breakfast was included in the room charges. They provide Indian and continental buffet for breakfast in their restaurant "The Palmyrah". The staff were not attentive and chatted among themselves when I was trying to attract their attention. Few days I had to get up from the table and walk up to them to get their attention. The same restaurant provides North Sri Lankan dinner on menu. I entertained guests there and the service from staff were far superior in the evening than in the morning. My advice regarding WiFi charges is not to take the service offered by the hotel if you are staying in the hotel for more than a day. It is costly and I couldn't even connect to it - despite the technical support from the internet provider. On the second day of my stay I ended up buying a dongle with a local data SIM card and got a faster, a superior service and was much cheaper. The swimming pool and the gym were under repairs t the time of my stay and the staff were not helpful for an alternative venue to swim or gym. Its cheaper to hire a car with driver for 8 hours per day from a local car hiring company found by googling on the internet than haphazardly hiring a tuk tuk or a car from the hotel. Overall I would rate Renuka above average, but due to the staff attitudes I am rating average. Would I stay again at Renuka Hotel? Possibly at the Renuka City Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are quieter even if they were next to the main road. Only thing that woke me up many nights we...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Very pleased with the service and the location of the hotel is quite central too. I could only book a standard room as the deluxe ones were fully booked. Rooms were a bit small specially the bed with 2 of us and a 10 month old baby. The hotel manager Babu was very helpful and arranged Colombo sightseeing for us. Swimming pool was closed for removation but we went to Cinnamon grand for lunch and used their pool for a nominal fee. We stayed in the city wing which is the newer wing.

• Stayed December 2012
uk
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We chose the hotel so that my 2children under 8 could primarily use the pool. A tour rep booked it for us after being assured it had a pool. Straight up to our room to change and back in foyer with arm bands in minutes 5 ! Sorry sir pool under reconstruction! Thats ok we 'll check out and go to another hotel with pool! ok but we must charge you for 3 nights!!! After a 4 hour standoff this was reduced to one night charge for the 5 mins in the room getting our costumes on. When I asked to see the manager they sent me the head of cleaning.After I found out the duty managers name they told me he was on holiday...just after he'd walked past me. I created a huge poster for the lobby with a poolnot in use sign on and left. Obnoxious staff!!!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
4 Thank tony t

Travelers are raving about these Colombo hotels

Tehran, Iran
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We were booked in this hotel for 3 nights in this hotel. although we stayed just for two nights but we were charged for 3. We were 3 adults in a single room on 4th floor but it didn't look cramped at all. Spacious rooms, Access to a balcony, perfectly clean bathrooms and hardwood flooring with a nice selection of tv channels made our stay a good one. The location is better for the people with business purposes. Not a lot of restaurants and cafes are nearby. Breakfast was not included so it became a 200 USD per night issue for us. I think there are better options out there which include breakfast in their package. In my opinion the services are good but not worth 170 USDs.