“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
pune
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed June 10, 2010

We went to Sri Lanka to celebrate our 1st anniversary. The hotel is located near a big lake, which we could see from our room. The view was amazing. My husband is a frequent traveller. He had been to Sri Lanka many times before. He prefers Cinnamon for it's location, hospitality & ausome food. I went for the very 1st time & I could understand, why he likes this hotel so much.
The hotel's new interiors are of fantastic designs.

We were there around Easter time & celebrations planned by the hotel were amazing. At the same time under 18 cricket matches were going on in Sri Lanka. Two international cricket teams were staying in our hotel. Still, the hotel staff could easily manage everyone.
The room we had was spacious and pretty. The only mismatch in the room was that they still don't LCD TV in each room. The hotel also has SPA facilty, which is very relaxing after a long day of travelling.
They provide a complementry breakfast in which they have more then 50 dishes with a international as well as indian variety. they serve real juices in which my favourite was Watermelon & King cocunut.
There are 5 different restraunts in the hotel. There is also an extreamly neat swimming pool, where one can relax in the evening hours.
The taxi facility provided by the hotel is also gud.

Cinnamon lake view Hotel is a place where I would definitely come back to and recommend to everyone. Thank you very much for making our stay so pleasant!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 10, 2010

beautiful hotel with great amenities. The food is a blend of authentic Sri Lankan and global cuisine to suit all taste buds. centrally located. It's easy to move around the city.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
london
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I spent 7 days at Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo and the best way to describe it was inconsistent. It would be great to stay here for a holiday, but i wouldn't recommend it if you are here for business (saying this though the rates were much lower than I'm used to paying in India, so maybe this has something to do with it).

Good bits? The location, the pool, the breakfast (make sure you try a Sri Lankan brekkie!), the friendliness of staff. The vegetarian mezze at 7degrees was great too.

Bad bits? I arrived at 3.30am and my booking couldn't be found despite me having my voucher printed out. Room service food was poor, everything was cold and nothing was very appetising. The DND sign on my door was ignored twice. Trying to get hold of someone each time I wanted to get on the internet was like a military operation. Also I was a lone female traveller and it was quite an intimidating environment to be in, I kept having men trying to join me at my table....it's not the hotel's fault at all but would be good if staff looked out for this and helped out a bit.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
London
Reviewed April 26, 2010

This is a very nice modern hotel with excellent facilities. We originally stayed in a suite and as they say "you get what you pay for", quality furniture, flat screen TV, luxury products etc. The second room we stayed in wasn't so good and was rather dark (we down sized when we were stranded due to the volcano). The pool is lovely but the sunbeds are very limited. There is a nice cafe and several shops, the restuarants are varied, we particularly enjoyed the buffet which is excellent value. The library bar has a free pool table and canapies are served with the drinks. As it is a large hotel there are numerous staff so you don't feel that there is any personal service, but everyone is friendly and helpful. Excellent for a city break, nice views if your room overlooks the lake.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
London
Reviewed April 8, 2010

The Cinnamon Lakeside hotel is a very good option for a good price (I paid about £40). Rooms are nice, of a good size (I stayed in the cheaper/standard room -- although they call it "deluxe"). Of course the room could use a renovation, but this could be true of almost any room in any hotel in the world. The bathroom is also good, with good amenities. The staff is very nice. I really did not understand some of the comments posted here about the front-desk staff.

If you see the pictures on the website, it is clear that the main attraction of the hotel is the stunning pool. It is really inviting, and being lakeside, it gets some breeze.

The lobby is also a good place to end the night, with a nice bar and live music.

In terms of location, the hotel is a short walk from the city centre, although this is totally meaningless. First of all, Colombo does not have a recognizable centre (or downtown area); second of all, walking is not something that most people will do in Colombo. I do it almost like a vice, but it is a hot, humid, and rather non-descriptive place. In other words, you will be moving in Colombo mostly by car or tuk-tuk. Still, the hotel is by the lake, near the ocean (and the Hilton, the Intercontinental), and near about 10 minutes by tuk-tuk from the Odel shopping centre, the train station, the museum, and everything else you may want to see.

All in all, Colombo is not a spectacular place to visit, but if you go, the Cinnamon Lake is a good option.

A last word about stars and ratings. Lots of people here make comments like "this hotel is not a 5 star hotel". Well, I have a very simple way of knowing if a hotel is 5 stars. If I pay £40 it is not, if I pay £400, it better be. There is not a single 5 star hotel in the world that would cost £40. So, if you pay less than £200 for a room, do not expect 5 star treatment. Simple.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jcn_uk
CumiLakeside, Consultant Corporate Affairs at Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
Dear Sir

Thank you for your descriptive comments on the hotel and our staff. You will be happy to note that shortly, a refurbishment on the deluxe rooms will also commence. Already new carpets are being installed on the 1st and second floors.

Unfortunately, your name is not listed to personalise my reply, but would like to assure you that your review was greatly appreciated.

Yasmin Cader
Consultant Corporate Affairs
Shiraz
Reviewed April 3, 2010

We planned to visit three different cities of Sri Lanka, The last City was Colombo and we had to stay only for two night over there.
We arrived around 4 pm , the rooms were not ready !!!! I won't like the moments that we had with those very rude receptionists !....anyway.... they asked us to stay in Lobby for 30 minutes.
Eventually , after many arguments , they gave us our room around 7:30 !!! but what room?
We have a 10 year old kid and we booked for a triple bed room, They gave us a double room !! when we plead , they told us that they will bring an extra bed for us ! Do they think that we're not aware of difference between triple room and a double room with extra bed???
Every thing were really dirty, out of order and messy in the room. the hair dryer was older than my grandma's. the pillows were strangely uncomfortable.
well, they brought another kind size bed to room so that every other furniture were put over each other and we didn't have any space to walk!!!! I must have bent over the sofa to take my things out of the drawer !
They only put two towels for three persons !! it was awful and a terrible hotel I have ever stayed in my whole life.
Can we really cal it a hotel??? let alone those fake 5stars!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank shahramh
CumiLakeside, The General Manager at Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo, responded to this review, April 9, 2010
Dear Mr. Shiraz,

Thank you for taking the time to write following your recent stay at Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo. We at Cinnamon Hotels and Resorts are anxious to ensure that the highest standards and personal services are provided to our guests and your valued response assists us in our effort to achieve this.

I regret that your expectations were not entirely satisfied on this occasion. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience and embarrassment which may have been caused. However, in the event you might be visiting Sri Lanka again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best Regards,
The General Manager
Melbourne
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stayed my last 2 days.Rooms were too small & old. Front desk is too bad, took good 30-45 mins for check in and check out. Front staff had no training in customer service i guess.
Five star ambiance in the restaurants & lobby,but service & other facilities aren't great.
DO NOT aspect the 5 star level that I experienced in other hotels like Hilton, Crown in Melbourne, Marriott or Hyatt.
Sri Lankan style breakfast was good, but the western type food was so dull.

IN GENERAL HOTELS IN SL AREN'T GOOD WITH WESTERN TYPE CUISINE.

Internet was ridiculously expensive(about AU $5),but if you walk down the road a bit there are Internet cafes where it just Rs. 30-50/=(AU 0.30) for half an hour.

There were few indian cable channels,but aren't good at all (in simple words it is crap).

Not much air con in side the room.Amenities are terrible.

There was a small night club & they make nice cocktails n bar found great.
It was ok as I had a good deal,otherwise not worth the money u spend.

I went to Hilton for a drink,where service was superb.
Front desk Manager at the Hilton bend down n tie my shoe lace.(believe me or not)

Nice live band played at the lakeside pub at the Cinnamon. WHENEVER U GO OUTSIDE,DON'T FORGET TO TAKE UR MOSQUITO SPREY WITH YOU.

HOPE THIS HELPS!