“The not so Grand Oriental”

Grand Oriental Hotel
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
Cornwall
“The not so Grand Oriental”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed here for just one night, the hotel was recommended by tourist information at Colombo Fort Station.(I don't know why)
Arriving at the hotel we were impressed, it is a stunning building from the outside. Unfortunately the hotel does not live up to its grand exterior. Our room was basic, not even a kettle, the bedding was clean but in need of replacement. We had an evening meal in the restaurant overlooking the harbour, it was not good. Tepid buffet style, we left more than we ate.
Entertainment was a guy on the organ playing 70's/80's songs, lots of Elvis and even the birdy song. The large table of German tourists next to us seemed to enjoy it but the words shoot me now came into my head. Checked out the next morn at 5am.
Its a shame because with some investment this could be a fabulous hotel. The staff did what they could with what they had but sadly not enough to make this an enjoyable stay.
Very expensive for a room of this standard.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Pros:
Located right next to the ocean and the large cricket parks.
If you are a romantic, you will love the charm of the old time feel. I could literally feel the ghosts of past travelers walking down the hall in their Sunday best.
Regrettably I don't think there have been any updates to this hotel since the 19 toh century.

Cons:
Very dated.
There hasn't been a dollar put I to this place in 100 yrs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Service and place was awful. When I tried to get help connecting WiFi I kept getting transferred to someone else and then was told that no, they won't come help me. Same thing trying to place a phone call. The room was musty smelling and unpleasant. I heard everyone walking down the hallways and construction out the window. Really, they need to rethink this place.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank TravellerInAsia2013

Travelers are raving about these Colombo hotels

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I arrived midday after a grueling 36 hour travel day. The receptionist was friendly and accommodating. I was able to check in even though it was only 12 noon. My room was huge, bed larger than a king, the headboard beautifully carved with mosquito netting, and a very large bathroom. I thought it was a grand old lady. Very clean and comfortable.

Yes, the hotel has seen better days, but staying here makes one feel like they are back in British colonial days. Not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. The restaurant was loverly overlooking the harbor. Very pretty at night with all the lights. Food was good and reasonably priced.

For an overnight stay, the Grand Oriental was wonderful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank OnTheGoSunnyvale_CA
New Delhi, India
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

I think we were made fools in the name of Srilankan hotels as the hotels were extremely basic and there were no facilities as expected from a hotel.
No coffee machine in room
Very small washroom
Breakfast served was very normal
If its Sunday then Colombo is of no use. Its like there is a strike or curfew!
I have no idea why makemytrip is spoiling the trips of people and arranging such hotels

• Stayed February 2014
New Delhi, India
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I was there for only one night but the experience was horrible.
the Hotel is the oldest one in Colombo(1837) and I think after that time they forgot to renovate it.
The rooms are dark with uncomfortable beds and very smelly.
would never recommends my friends.

The only best part is the veiw from 4th floor restaurant u can see the entire port thats the only best part about that hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Paxos, Greece
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

We checked into this hotel for a shower & freshen up after international flight/before train to kandy. We asked for a day room & the answer was no so we had to just pay for a nights stay. Most expensive 2hrs I've ever spent.

One prev review referred to this place as desperately needing investment to help it get the refurb it so desperately needs (so very true)

Yes it's historic & a beautiful old building with knock out views from 4th floor restaurant but a typical example of a once famous hotel living on its name rather than its quality

Staff were excellent & couldn't be friendlier but the rooms (or certainly the one we had) was 'very poor' & to charge 89$ is daylight robbery.

I don't know what the answer is. Keep on charging 89$ a night & keep pis****g people off & getting bad publicity or reduce your overheads in some way & charge 50$ get people thru the door & try to get grants/investment

I hear raffles have bought nearby cargills just round the corner (another historic name) & it's going to be turned into a grand hotel

Hopefully as tourism in Sri Lanka recovers the grand oriental will get investment but until then i'll take my money elsewhere especially at 90$

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple