“Worth visiting for short time & more expensive for foreigners ???”

National Zoological Gardens of Sri Lanka
Ranked #40 of 151 things to do in Colombo
More attraction details
Owner description: This zoo features animals from across Asia, as well as a nightly elephant circus.
Reviewed September 10, 2013

During my short visit in Central Colombo between 25/08/13 to 29/08/13 I decided to visit the local Zoo on Wednesday 28/08/13, i arrived early to avoid the crowds however I was surprised how many local families were waiting with many children when I arrived. On checking out the admission fee I'm surprised with the cost between the locals & foreigners & I paid Rs 2000, when I asked the staff why the cost is higher for foreigners they just said they just follow the rules !!! [Imagine over charging more for foreigners in Australia that would be called discrimination & many people would object]. The visit was OK and spent around 90min's looking around, the most enjoyable part for me was witnessing the Elephant bath time, the overall activity around the Zoo wasn't that exciting with many enclosures empty or animals sleeping, of course the gardens were crowded with many children & families...... Glad I went but wouldn't visit again & didn't see anything extra for my Rs 2000 !!!!

4  Thank Stephen N
There are newer reviews for National Zoological Gardens of Sri Lanka

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is one of the best Zoological garden I have ever visited. Very safe place for you and your family members to see all kinds of animals. So many varieties of animals are there from all around the world. I certainly recommended this place as a must visit place for any traveler. One of the major attraction in sri lanka for sure.

1  Thank benq w
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

It was a hot day when I visited the zoo it was fairly busy with locals who threw things at the animals to get them to move. The animals show signs of discomfort and most look sad and are caged in small areas. The cost of entry was 2000 for foreigners and 100 for locals, the reason for this is that foreiners can afford to.pay more. Ive never understood that policy but it happens in India too. The zoo needs to be upgraded and the animals need to be housed in larger areas. This kind of zoo should be closed as the animals all looked to be suffering.

2  Thank chrisholmyard
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Unlike other tourist attractions, we saw many locals here. Local snacks etc too. missed the butterfly farm as we went late. Do visit the website and plan a trip there. Eleven year old son thoroughly enjoyed the snake house and aquarium-anaconda and pirannas! even though we could not get a seat for the elephant show, he loved the zoo.

1  Thank moyenan
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Liked the acquarium the best. A little sad to see animals caged. It is a place to learn about animals and the variety is large. Still enjoy visiting the zoo every year.

2  Thank Eresha w