“Ok stay...but definitely would not class it as a 5*!”
Review of Galadari Hotel

Galadari Hotel
Ranked #29 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
Ruislip, United Kingdom
“Ok stay...but definitely would not class it as a 5*!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for an evening after a poor experience at a different place of residence in Colombo. I had come for business with 3 other colleagues.

4 of us arrived late in the evening, approximately at 11pm, trying to get a room. The reception didn't want to know, at first, but then managed to find a room, which we appreciated, although it took nearly an hour.

It cost £70 for the 4 of us, which was quite cheap, however the room wasn't great either. I'd like to note the visit was in August 2011, and therefore the hotel may have improved since then.

Essentially, the room was very dated, with old wallpaper, carpets and furniture. The wallpaper was coming off in places, with cracks across the ceiling. The air conditioning made a noise when turned on, and the old glass in the room had a covering of dust, as did the carpet.

The bathroom had random bits of brown across the tiling and toilets, which was disconcerting. In fact, we decided to shower by going to a different hotel

The beds were fine, easily sleepable, but nothing more.

I was disappointed with the experience, especially after the reviews it has received here. I would have expected better, especially for international business guests. If I do return, I would expect a vast improvement in quality of delivery and service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SBhatt87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel is very old and the facilities are so weak. I see the paints are felling down from the walls, very old bathrooms no Internet WiFi services at the rooms........

Unfortunately there is no any good point can be told.

Room Tip: The rooms in located to the ocean view is nice (just view)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SerkanOrtac1977
Anjula K, Marketing Specialist at Galadari Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hi SerkanOrtac1977. We’re unable to trace details of your stay at the hotel. Request you to contact us on (+94) 112 544 544 to help us better understand the concerns shared above.

Travelers are raving about these Colombo hotels

Pune, India
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Reached there on the 29th of December, stayed till the 1st of January, so basically spent my New Years eve there.
The Galadari hotel was just your next average 5 star hotel with 4-5 restaurants, a bar and a pub in the hotel. The rooms were big and spacious, but the carpeting needs changing, looked old, seems like a hotel which has not done its renovations in awhile and they need to do so. The location was great its right next to the beach and not to far from the city. The hotel has a pool and is over looking the beach. The food was good nothing great to speak about. Had dinner at the roof top restaurant, has a beautiful over look to the city. Like I mentioned earlier food was good, the sizzling dishes are prepared right in front of you on a grill and served straight up, that was very interesting. The hotel is an ideal 5-star business hotel, would not really recommend it for a family vacation, as it lacked things to do for a family apart from a nice swim. Can walk down to the beach and have a nice stroll there. Hotel had a Gym and Spa, did not use it though. Pub was not bad, had a few local musicians playing there, live music was nice. Overall, a good business hotel.

Room Tip: If you do stay there opt for the sea facing room, not the habour view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for spending New Year’s Eve at the hotel. Appreciate it apurvaseth. Many of our guests recommend a renewed outlook and it has been forwarded to the relevant personal. We should have an update anytime soon. Also I must acknowledge the mixed response put forward and assure you of our best service at all times. Notable is the food and experience at the California Grill as we look forward to your return.
kolkata, india
Reviewed January 25, 2013

located in the heart of colombo business district. you get a very good viw of the skyline and the ocean front from this hotel. although the lobby area can be a bit busy and niosy during the weekend evening, as they d have a number of nite spots over there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for putting this down Gautam355. The weekends are quite a sight and the atmosphere very lively & upbeat. You certainly can get drowned in with all the noise around you, but we find a lot of people just relaxing in the lobby. That said; we will keep an eye out on this. Thanks
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My stay at Galadari in Dec'12 first week was a very short one - just a day though I wish I could have stayed longer. The location is excellent - very close to the beach. I could see the beach from my room window too. The elegant lobby was decked up for Christmas and was a superb beautiful sight. A sweet Santa was placed near the checkin counter and I couldnt resist clicking myself with him! Not only Santa there was a Snowman too! The security at the hotel lobby were very courteous.
The room was huge and very clean. A fruit basket (with mangoes in dec!) was a nice gesture.
Breakfast at the Coffee shop had a very large variety though fewer choices for vegetarians like me. The staff was helpful and managed to get me muesli when I asked for it. I did not enjoy the Dinner buffet as there were very limited choices for vegetarians though my friend enjoyed his non veg meal immensely. Lunch at the Arabic restaurant was better - limited items but more choice for vegetarians.
Being so close to the beach, I got an opportunity to go for a walk early in the morning and enjoyed myelf.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Great comments Ashu2309, we’re absolutely delighted. Thank you for taking the time to share the fantastic experience. We equally wish you’d stay with us long enough in your next visit and indulge in some exotic dishes. Cheers
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Located bang opposite Colombo Parliament House on Ocean front.
Excellent location.
Full of travelers and locals....busy place
Makes local commute to Business hubs easy
Near night life spots like Casinos & pubs....vibrant

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are nice & quite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the lovely comment ndeepn. Our location gives you access to all types of entertainment within a few meters between them. The next time you drop in, be sure to check the Dutch Hospital. Will see you soon.
Cocoa Beach
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I appreciate the staff at the Galadari asking me how to attract additional, Western clientele. They are in stiff competition w the Cinamon Grand and the Hilton Colombo, which are newer & do have the Western niches. Galadari lobby is very opulent and a sight onto itself. I appreciated the nice welcoming touch of fresh flowers and fruit in my room (Executive Level). The breakfast was perfect, as were the views from my room. I even appreciated the guard who'll walk w you to the ATM (outside the hotel).

Room Tip: Definitely reserve an Executive-Level room. Great views, wonderful, added amenities.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Birder1CocoaBeach_FL
Anjula K, Marketing Specialist at Galadari Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
We thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments, especially of what you had to say on the Lobby, Service and the View. Our guests keep throwing at us such lovely comments and it makes our mornings so much better. Thank you Birder1CocoaBeach_FL.There’s always something we want to do different to improve the overall experience, be it the flowers, fruits and the guards ensuring your safety. We attempt to benchmark service on personal lines and it sits at the hearts of everyone in this hotel. And our only competition is winning a top spot in your overall traveling experience. We look forward to seeing you again.