“A fantastic end to our vacation!”

Colombo Hotel by Ceilao Villas
Ranked #6 of 151 Colombo B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Superb indeed! We were at the Ceilao for three nights, and ended our wonderful Sri Lankan vacation on a high note. When we were arrived, we were informed that the smaller downstairs room we had booked was being painted, so they were upgrading us to a larger room upstairs for no extra charge.

And a lovely room it was! Hands down the most comfortable bed and pillows of our trip! Big fat mattress, big fat pillows and big fat smiles on our faces. The room was huge and airy with all the mod-cons (excellent WiFi, flat screen TV, bar fridge, hairdryer, safe, etc. Great A/C!) Also I was really pleased that they kept us constantly supplied with free bottles of water (four at a time!) I swear they came in twice a day to replace water bottles and empty trash cans. We lacked for nothing during out stay here.

We loved the huge bathroom hidden behind a closet door in the wall! Shower was good and hot, and there was even a bidet! Everything was immaculate.

Given that we were in Colombo, I would have expected some noise but this place was utterly dead quiet at night. These were the only nights of my trip that I did not use ear plugs to sleep. I live in the countryside a kilometre from the nearest house, so I know dead quiet when I hear it! You would not have known you were in the city.

The staff was terrific: doting but not "in-your-face". They kindly brought us pots of tea and coffee whenever we requested them, always with a smile. The breakfasts were great, and we particularly enjoyed the Sri Lankan breakfast on our last day.

Staff was super helpful with restaurant recommendations, arranging tuk-tuks, and so on. It seemed like nothing was too much trouble and they were so welcoming and kind. Clearly it is important to them that their guests be happy, and they go out of their way to achieve this.

Even the poor fellow on nighttime door-duty had a smile for us when we rolled in at 2 am one night after having an extended supper at a friend's place. Extra thanks to him for being there to let us in; we don't normally stay out that late and I was worried about whether or not someone would be awake when we got back, but of course everything was fine.

We availed ourselves of the small pool on the upper level and it was a great way to cool off in the afternoon. There is a full-size pool on the lower level, too. Both pools are clean and well looked-after.

I can't say enough good things about Ceilao Villas. Of all the places we stayed on our trip, this was our favourite. I will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Colombo. Truly excellent!

Room Tip: We loved our big room at the top of the stairs, next to the doors to the upstairs pool!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank caberwife
There are newer reviews for Colombo Hotel by Ceilao Villas

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Spent the last three nights of my stay at Cielao Villas and I must say that Gladwyn and Senake were really helpful, be it with phone calls (I happen to have hearing issues that make phone calls a challenge) or suggestions on how to get to places or even flagging down a tuk tuk for you and telling the driver where to go.
I absolutely loved this place and found it v.convenient for seeing bits and pieces of the city during my time here. Most tuk tuk drivers are familiar with the road this guest house is located on so that makes it easy to get back from wherever you are. The guesthouse is beautifully done up and there's a lovely little wading pool on the first floor with sun lounges next to it where one can sit and read or relax. There's also a little reading corner in one nook of the house and plenty of other nooks with seating areas where you could sit and chat to guests or others you've come with. A tasteful, well ventilated house with plenty of class and quiet charm
Would also suggest doing one of the guided walks by Mark Forbes as it includes a pick up from your hotel. Did it on my last evening in Colombo and what a way to round off my stay here!

Room Tip: Some rooms have bath tubs so if you have trouble with your legs, check about this while booking to e...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank susealex
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in this small, quiet, centrally located boutique hotel at the start of our tour of Sri Lanka. Staff very helpful; food very good; bed very comfortable. Tuk-tuks freely available outside for touring the city and visiting the museums, seafront, shops, etc although even using the metered ones the prices do vary!! We enjoyed our days visiting Colombo and this hotel was ideal. Would recommend.

Room Tip: We had ground floor room1 which had direct garden access but there was some AC or water pump noise...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan S
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed only one night but we received the best service from the whole staff and management. It was my first time to Sri Lanka and Gladwin, the manager, helped me to plan the whole trip including recommending a driver through email months before our trip. By the time we met, it was like I've known him already. Senneka, the assistant manager, even helped us to make an appointment with a dentist in the nearby hospital to alleviate my husband's toothache before we set off to Sigiriya. The place is tastefully designed and well maintained. It is simply a gem in the city!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Tucked away just of the main streets of the south of the city, you walk through a half-hidden doorway and into another world – peaceful, secluded and intimate. The quality of the service is just wonderful, and nothing is too much trouble. The Villa itself is an architectural gem – the very best of 70's (I'm guessing) funkiness – and the atmosphere is relaxed and informal. Outstanding.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2014

It is a 6-bedroom villa in the heart of the town. Rooms are very spacious and comfortable, tastefully made. Though the best part is the service. We arrived very late in the night, but they reopened the kitchen and offered us dinner. We were a big group of 4 couples with infants and kids, and during the entire stay, the food was made to order. They have a nice little pool and a small garden with seating. Gladwin, property manager, was always available when needed and made our stay pretty memorable.

Room Tip: Room number 1 on the ground floor opens directly to the main pool. Room 3 on first floor is much big...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2014

A small hotel in the south of the city, but still handy to everything you might want to see and do in Colombo. The team at the hotel were really friendly, helping with suggestions of things to see and do as well as restaurants. Great pool, nice rooms, friendly staff. Make it your city hideaway!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo