“Good hotel with appalling service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Kingsbury

The Kingsbury
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
London
“Good hotel with appalling service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

This hotel is located in an excellent area of Colombo. Away from all busy and noisy part of the city this four star hotel is situated in a very pleasant place over looking the Indian Ocean. You will get some excellent views of the Indian Ocean from the room. I had a deluxe room which was clean but rather small. The breakfast was definitely not four star and the service was absolutely appalling. When I went to check in, I stood in front of the reception for at least good 7-8 minutes (I had only one person checking in before me). There were four staff at the front office and not one of them acknowledged me once or even looked at me. Finally, I had to approach them and even then they did not greet me or said sorry. I was absolutely disappointed as I have seen the friendliest and most smiley people on earth in this little paradise -Sri Lanka. On another occasion, I had to call the duty manager in to sort something out in my room. Having called the front desk four times and having waited more than an hour, I had to physically go and see the duty officer who was in the ground floor.
I do not know how this hotel has managed to employ who I think the most miserable and unfriendly staff in that entire island.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Net_UK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2009

The hotel was old but its nice. Reception was very good and the staff in the restaurant. But the room service, housekeeping & pool attendant was terrible. Room service was very slow and when I ask the staff to bring me a honey on my tea he did'nt come back. Housekeeping never went to clean our room and the pool attendant was so arrogant.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

I Stayed here with my wife for 2 nights and it cold well be one fo the worst hotels i've stayed in EVER. Do not under any circumstances get this hotel confused with an 'Intercontinental' hotel as it once was but is now most definitely not.

Something that we were not told when booking this hotel is that the president of Sri Lanka lives a mere 30 metres away which means the area is heavily fortified with army personnel which is not a problem but means that there are numerous checkpoints all around and taxi's and tuk-tuks do not venture in unless they are carrying passengers, which invariably means you get ripped off taking the hotel ones. What it also means is that the area is not heavily invested in by the hotels and therefore Interconitnental took their name off this one and it is now just not 5-star.

The lobby is dated, the lift and rest of the hotel exclusively plays "I can't live, if livin is without you" ALL THE TIME. The rooms are small but this is to be expected in a capital city. The bathrooms was filthy and when i turned on the shower, brown water came out for about a minute before running clear. The basin taps leaked onto the floor, the flush leaked onto the floor and the tiny bathtub had rust in it.

Location is good, views of the 'beach' are good and the bed is large and comfortable (we were in a king size room). We were in Colombo for a wedding which was taking place at the Cinnamon Grand down the road and upon meeting our friends in their room there, we wished we'd have stayed there. That hotel is 5-star. My wife had to get her hair done at the Taj and we also visitied the Hilton which meant we we had a good view of what a 5-star in Colombo should or could look like. The Ceylon continental would rank as a 3-star at best in comparison.

Breakfast was average, the room in which its served was kept at a such a cold temperature that there was water dripping off the aircon unit onto the floor. We duly complained about all this to the manager and he insisted he would upgrade us. The next day our bags were moved into another room and although 1 floor higher, all we could notice was that the bed was smaller. This apparently was the executive floor. We complained again and the best he could offer was a free meal (we mentioned we were here for a wedding so did not require a meal) or 25% off the additional room extras, i.e. the 6 local phonecalls we'd made.

Absolutely shocking service, highly recommend any other hotel in the city.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2009

After 14 years of marriage, this was our first real honeymoon! And we left it to the tour operator to decide where we were going to stay. We had 5 days and 4 nights in Sri Lanka and it was planned in such a way that we would spend only Night 1 and Night 4 in Colombo. Its a good thing we did this because of all the security issues there (see later).
The hotel is more than what one can ask for for budget holidayers like us. Very nice and spacious room and great service. Being the health-conscious sort we had the use of the gym - which is well maintained.
The breakfast spread was great - both continental and local fare. My wife and I really enjoyed the meal. The dinner too was equally good - may be we are a little fussy and so the closer the flavour is to our Indian tastes the better.
The only problem was the location of the hotel - it is very close to important international installations such as the World Trade Centre and the Bank of Ceylon. We were unfortunate to have our return journey scheduled on the same day as when the Iranian President was in town. No vehicle was allowed near the hotel and we had to walk at least half a mile, baggage and all, to where our taxi was waiting for us.
But overall more pleasant memories than anything else.

• Liked — The friendly staff!
  • Disliked — The high-security location
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank BobYourUncle
Chennai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

The property is located in the high Security Area, hence moement is resticted. But the security are very courteous to visitors. Only issues is calling cabs, you have to use hotel cabs. The per room night rate is extremely cheap.

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank stdbxr11
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2008

We were first booked in another hotel. At our request, this was changed to the Ceylon Continental. This is a 5 star hotel mainly catering to business travellers. Being holiday travellers, we did not enjoy it as much. Security was too tight. Staff very intrusive. Even basic facility like a tea pot or an electric kettle was not provided. Dirnking glass came after a request was made.

The hotel did not live upto its 5 star reputation.

Krishnaswamy

• Liked — Indian Restaurant
  • Disliked — High security and intrusive staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank RaviMumbai
Chennai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

Stayed for 11 nights at this hotel. My office is a stone's throw from the hotel (oh, don't throw anything.... there are armed guards everywhere). I got a room facing the city ie facing the guards. Didnt want the ocean view because the sound of waves crashing made me a bit edgy especially after the tsunami. Besides the rooms get colder.

The room was nice. They really should think of laying carpets in the room as the tiles make the room colder. Ordered room service often. Ordered sandwiches, and twice "roti special". It has a filling of tandoori chicken marinated in curd, was really good stuff. Went for the buffet twice, it was decent. The breakfast buffet is limited on the meat front .... more of chicken, mutton and fish. Beef was rarely seen. The bacon was hidden away on the side of the hall. This was probably due to the large number of tourists from the Gulf countries, Maldives and India.

Got a wifi card which had a validity of 4 hours and 7 days. It couldn't be used after about two hours and 2 days. I didn't bring it to the notice of the hotel management as I used to get back to the room tired and also because of the disappointing experience when I went to get the card in the beginning.

Staff behaviour was mixed, some were friendly, some indifferent. But I must say that I appreciate their efforts considering the situation in their country. The gym was excellent, they've got two treadmills. I might stay in this hotel again for the gym and also because it's close to the office.

• Liked — The gym
  • Disliked — Cold floors in the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business