“Pleasant start to a Sri Lankan holiday”
Review of The Kingsbury

The Kingsbury
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We had a pleasant 2 night stay at the kingsbury. It is well located right on the water, a short walk to the Galle Face Walk. The buffet breakfast included in the tariff offered a variety of Western and Sri Lankan breakfast items. The staff were attentive and except for entering and leaving my room, I did not open a door for myself; a staff member was always on hand to take on that burden. The pool area is relaxing, especially while watching the sunset. As mentioned in an earlier review, the area next to the hotel, near the pool, is under construction but that is a minor detraction from an otherwise relaxing area. My only suggestion for improvement would be more supervision of swimmers in the pool by hotel staff. Not all parents monitor their children in the pool nor may they be capable of rendering assistance should their child experience difficulty in the pool.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Piecost
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay at The Kingsbury. We are truly happy that you have been satisfied in terms of your experience, our service, food and that you have enjoyed yourself whilst with us.

We have noted your concerns with regard to the pool, and agree that it is a vital part of your stay. We assure you that on your next visit with us, we will certainly make the same available for your enjoyment and relaxation.

My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Kingsbury.

Warm regards,

Sunil Dissanayake.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel and unfortunately it did not turn out very well.

The upgrade which was the reason we booked this hotel was not offered, checkin was very slow, staff were not at all friendly, and when I spoke to a manager about this she did not seem particularly interested.

This hotel says it is five stars however in my opinion more like barely 3. The elevators are also very crowded with non-residents as there is a rooftop bar that not only crowds the elevators and has people who seem to have a lot to drink wandering around but also has loud music that will keep you up until at least midnight every night (it is very loud with a band and a dj).

The roof top lounge is beautiful however on the day I was there the staff were very slow (even with 12 servers working it took 25 minutes just to get a menu) and then due to an error the checkin made they told me I would have to pay cash and not sign to my room and treated me almost as a thief. When I complained to the manager he did not even care.

Do not stay here this hotel is really very poor for service and rooms are tiny.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the pool and the extremely loud rooftop bar which plays music very late every...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelsig
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The hotel its self is beautiful the rooms a very small we had to get a Premium Room to have enough space for us with the two little ones. Buffet breakfast was great pool is beautiful however it does look out onto a construction site across the road and next door to the hotel. The biggest problem we had here was the communication problem with the staff the do not seem to understand English very well which became very annoying. We also found the Chinese restaurant down stairs to be very overpriced and did not enjoy the food we sent back a chicken dish because it was stone cold from the fridge and instead of cooking us a fresh dish they just reheated the same chicken .

Room Tip: Do not go smaller than a Premium Room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

We just loved every minute of this gorgeous hotel / beds, breakfasts & gorgeous afternoon for v reasonable prices :)) in a lovely area & just beside Dutch hospital area full of lovely places to eat - the staff were super friendly & helpful & the hotel had a good buzz about it :)

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank bangorfamily
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We arrived on an overnight flight from London to check into our pre-booked suite. I was asked to take the room key of a Mr Francois Chitewel (even though my name is Mrs Joanna Francis), and assured it was a simple spelling mistake. Well, we felt sorry for Mr Chitewel as his room looked out onto a concrete roof, had a door that wouldn't close and badly chipped furniture. On complaining it took 4 members of staff to work out I wasn't Mr Chitewel and to find us our suite. On entering the room (which did have a nice coastal view) the first thing we could hear was thumping loud music. On questionning (which took 4 calls to speak to someone who could help us) we were told it was a party that would finish by midnight - given we had just got off a long haul flight we were not at all satisfied with that. So onto our 3rd room, a suite on a lower floor, and finally 2 hours after getting to the hotel we were finally checked in. We also got a unrequested 5am wake up call! Great! Utterly classless hotel with a quantity over quality approach to staffing. A horrible introduction to a country we fell in love with over the next 2 weeks. AVOID.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JLFrancis
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We took our family and friends to the Kingsbury for high tea on a Sunday after our wedding reception. I was fairly disappointed in the quality of the buffet - we spent more time standing in line than eating and the options were quite dry - the food didn't seem fresh. I was expecting a lot since I was last there for my cousin's wedding and the food was good. I think given the style of high tea - not a set menu, the hotel cuts cost by serving mediocre food given that people just eat and eat. I was only happy with the iced coffee and the ice cream flavours which were amazing.

I have been to high tea at the Galle Face hotel and The Galadari both of which were much better for the price I was paying.

Kingsbury has an AMAZING view from their high tea room so I would expect that the food should match the view.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SZavahir
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Although the quality of rooms, food and location of this hotel are great, they need to do slightly better on the room service front, given the value charged to the guests. Apart from that minor issue, the stay was otherwise pleasant

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business