“Breakfast”

The Kingsbury
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
“Breakfast”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We had breakfast here as outside guests 2 days ago.
We were 2 people. For about 10€ per you have access to a huge buffet, both eastern and western food.
For this cheap price, I don't think you can find a nicer place to have breakfast in Colombo.
As the hot buffet is huge, it could be a great place to have Brunch

• Stayed August 2013
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, August 23, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for choosing The Kingsbury for your dining purposes and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Trip Advisor.

My team and I hope you would visit us in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you again.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Goa, India
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This one a star like luxury....a typical busy, city business hotel ,check-in needed credit card , super fast lifts, on the 7th floor in few seconds. Rooms ready even with a third bed, beautiful rooms overlooking the Arabian sea amazing glass windows , would think that one could skydive!!!
No seats around the reception lobby but a beautiful flower arrangement to one side of the lobby, a very busy hotel as it caters to weddings and conferences too, lot of people on the lobby floor.
Great guest supplies all Bulgari cosmetics, creams, a big chunk of soap etc. Lovely 03 set of fresh pure white towels.

The breakfast and dinner restaurant was the same but the view during breakfast time was just as if you were over the waves the sea just across the road, bright airy .A nice looking new swimming pool but no takers early morning.
The meals both breakfast as well as dinners with numerous dishes, one was spoilt for choices.
We also popped in to the beautiful "Skylounge for a drink but due to rains it was a bit unpleasant as it was blowing a bit too. The Strawberry margarita was just superb!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for choosing The Kingsbury for your stay. I was very pleased with your review and wish to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Kingsbury and cannot wait to welcome you again, which i hope will be in the near future.

manchester
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Cannot think of any negatives
Amazing service, pool, setting. Rooftop bar fab. Chinese restaurant fantastic. Highly recommended. Would definitely return! A haven in busy colombo. Noted a Sri Lankan wedding going on during our stay. Can see exactly why they chose this hotel.
Didn't use spa

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, August 22, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Wow! Thank you for the amazing review of your stay at The Kingsbury. Every Guest is a valued guest, and we are delighted to be your chosen hotel during your recent stay. We hope that you experienced exceptional service as intended by our Management and Staff.

We sincerely appreciate your business and we value the opinions of our guests. We hope you would recommend us to your colleagues, friends and family.

We look forward to welcoming you to The Kingsbury again.

Best regards,
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I haven't stayed here but I have eaten here and been to their sky bar now three times and wanted to review my experiences, which varied hugely. My first visit was to the lunch buffet, this was absolutely fabulous. The food selection was immense and all tasty. Service was ok. Out of the buffets I have had in Sri Lanka, this one was right up there with the best. The second visit was to the bakery where I had to stand for about 5 minutes while the three staff there ignored me instead of taking my order. Not great. The food itself I thought was decent and good value for money.

My next visit was to the bar. The initial service was good and attentive with the manager around. The ambiance of this bar is pretty good though you probably have to sit towards the edge of the bar to appreciate the sense of vertigo of looking out onto the ocean. What did disappoint was the waiter asserting that we had arrived before happy hour so refusing to honor the happy hour deal. This was despite the fact we had spoken to the manager before happy hour had ended. A few stern words and the issue was solved.

The final and very disappointing experience was the mussel promo at the seafood restaurant. The preparation was mediocre and the mussels were very tough, indicating they had been cooked far too long. I've had home cooked mussels that were much better!

All in all, there is good potential but lots to improve with service especially.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NarenG
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, August 9, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of the hotel here on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the buffet spread during your very first visit to the hotel, however I would have wished that the following visits were as good if not better.

Since your feedback is of immense value to us, your comments and suggestions will be taken in to concern in order that the hotel and its staff improve in service standards.

My team and I hope to welcome you again at The Kingsbury.

San Diego, California
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We booked this new hotel in Sri Lanka for a 3 night stay. After a 2.5 hour wild trip from the airport (that's a mere 25 miles) we arrived at this impressive looking hotel located right along the beautiful coastline. Two beds were requested and confirmed prior to arrival but we were told no 2 bed rooms were available upon check-in. When we contested, we were assured a room with 2 beds would be made ready. We ended up with a small room with a king bed and a twin bed rolled in. The bathroom accoutrements were nice (Bulgari) and the room was comfortable and clean. However, housekeeping arrived late (5:30pm) forgot to replenish supplies like coffee and bathroom things. Each day we ordered from room service a large pot of coffee with two cups and each day we got a small pot of coffee. There was no room service menu in the room or a book on introducing the hotel and its amenities. When we asked for either one, the hotel manager promised they would be delivered "Immediately". Twenty minutes later a book on Sri Lanka arrived - no room service menu or welcome pamphlet on the hotel so we never knew what restaurants or services the hotel offered. We spent an hour one evening listening to music in the Kings Lounge where we decided to take advantage of the advertised 20% discount for "ladies" on drinks and food in the bar lounge. The discount is good if you use an HSBC card. I used my HSBC card. The waiter brought the bill and forgot the discount. When I pointed it out, he condescendingly told me that I needed to use an HSBC card, and when I pointed out I did, he apologized and went to adjust the bill. This took 25 minutes, arguing at the cashier station amoung the staff, my HSBC card being charged twice and credited twice. End of the story: the manager says "our system cannot adjust your bill, you have a 750 rupee credit, would you like another drink?. By that time, we left. I complained to the manager of the hotel, who promised to remedy the situation immediately and never did. The beautiful buffet restaurant with gorgeous views of the ocean had a fabulous array of every kind of food you could desire in this part of the world, only the food temps were not hot. Also, when you did find a waiter to provide coffee, every time we'd have to tell him to fill the cup. For some reason, the waiters fill coffee cups half way up - frustrating since once they pour the coffee, they disappear. And, like the food, the coffee was never hot. This new hotel has MANY kinks to work out and I cannot recommend it to any traveler. Try the Hilton just down the road.

Room Tip: Be sure you get a confirmation on your room type before you arrive ... because we ran into trouble w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking your time to comment on your recent visit to The Kingsbury.

It is our aim to offer our guests a entirely satisfactory service at The Kingsbury. Therefore, we truly apologize for the inconvenience you had during your stay.

We thank you very much for your helpful and reasonable criticism. We will strive in every way to rectify our negative service and provide better experiences to our guests.

We hope you will give us a second chance to convince you with a better service.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Good bits:
- location
- clean comfortable rooms
- good bathroom with excellent plumbing!
- rooftop bar
- good tv with lots of channels

Bad bits:
- slowest lifts in the world (often broken)
- morons in room service who can't comprehend a BLT sandwich
- terrible breakfast (it's all there, but somehow they ruin everything)

Average bits:
- constant but horribly slow internet

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TC_On_Tour

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for spending your time to give us a feedback on your recent stay.

It’s pleasing that you remarked the good location of our hotel location, the clean and comfortable rooms, the good bathroom with excellent plumbing, the Sky Lounge and the TV.

Your comments on the lifts, the room service and the breakfast has been considered as important in our steps towards service standard development.

My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you again soon and proving our high standard of hospitality during your next stay at The Kingsbury.

Regards,
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I would definitely recommend a drink at the sky lounge rooftop bar - it is beautifully decorated and the view is fantastic.

However, my experiences in the main restaurants were not quite as good - especially at breakfast time. If the person at the pancake station says he will bring it to the table - he won't - go and get it yourself or stand there while they make it.

On another note, the rooms were very clean and the speciality restaurants, although expensive, were exceptional.

• Stayed July 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of your stay on Trip Advisor.

I am glad you enjoyed the Sky Lounge, the cleanliness of the rooms and restaurants, however my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your breakfast. My team and I have already taken measures to rectify such issues so that they wont occur in the future.

We hope to see you again at The Kingsbury in the near future.