“The Kingsbury is pretty good”
Review of The Kingsbury

The Kingsbury
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Good bits:
- location
- clean comfortable rooms
- good bathroom with excellent plumbing!
- rooftop bar
- good tv with lots of channels

Bad bits:
- slowest lifts in the world (often broken)
- morons in room service who can't comprehend a BLT sandwich
- terrible breakfast (it's all there, but somehow they ruin everything)

Average bits:
- constant but horribly slow internet

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TC_On_Tour
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for spending your time to give us a feedback on your recent stay.

It’s pleasing that you remarked the good location of our hotel location, the clean and comfortable rooms, the good bathroom with excellent plumbing, the Sky Lounge and the TV.

Your comments on the lifts, the room service and the breakfast has been considered as important in our steps towards service standard development.

My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you again soon and proving our high standard of hospitality during your next stay at The Kingsbury.

Regards,

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I would definitely recommend a drink at the sky lounge rooftop bar - it is beautifully decorated and the view is fantastic.

However, my experiences in the main restaurants were not quite as good - especially at breakfast time. If the person at the pancake station says he will bring it to the table - he won't - go and get it yourself or stand there while they make it.

On another note, the rooms were very clean and the speciality restaurants, although expensive, were exceptional.

• Stayed: July 2013
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of your stay on Trip Advisor.

I am glad you enjoyed the Sky Lounge, the cleanliness of the rooms and restaurants, however my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your breakfast. My team and I have already taken measures to rectify such issues so that they wont occur in the future.

We hope to see you again at The Kingsbury in the near future.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had not originally intended to stay here but the Taj Samudra was going through repairs so were moved here by our tour company. Very comfortable beds, lovely bathroom and helpful staff. Slow check in process but this is not unusual and take it in your stride. Enjoy the welcome drink. We stayed on the 9nth floor so had used the club lounge there. Smaller check for breakfast and not as atmospheric as the breakfast room downstairs. Great for an evening G&T though. Breakfast amazing. We had a seafood dinner in the Chinese restaurant and the sushi was the best I have had anywhere. Fabulous seafood. In a good spot close enough to walk the Galle Face green. Watch out for touts who say they work at the hotel and want to take to to a local temple. We had 3 people approached, male and female. Go if you want to, a great adventure and good way to learn lots about Colombo if you have a good conversation but you'll be ripped off big time by the tuk tuk and your new friend will want a tip.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank FinoniTas

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Than you for choosing The Kingsbury for your stay and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at the hotel, particularly that you have explored the hotel's amenities well. Your choice to experience our seafood restaurant; The Ocean, is fantastic as we serve the best seafood in town, particularly Sushi.

Hoping to see you at the hotel again in the near future, as my team and I are looking forward to welcoming you.

Regards,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

love the place, ambiance, food etc ..amazing
been there for many meals simply love the music the lobby..pool location
the only weak point was there are many in experienced people working there that makes the visit less attractive .... the hotel trade the every one from the top to bottom people should be very friendly and caring to all guest but sadly now a days we can hardly see that, but people who have work and known past hoteliers will know how friendly these people are compared to people now.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of the hotel here on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is of high value to us and will be considered in our focus towards further development.

I am pleased to read that you have encountered an enjoyable experience at The Kingsbury. Your comment on polite staff will be taken up as very important in my team's improvements. You are very right in stating that past hoteliers know the precise hospitality efforts of being friendly - I cannot agree more! Being a hotelier for many years, I hope to incorporate such professionalism in my staff who will make it a part of their life style here at The Kingsbury.

We hope you would visit us again in the near future, as my team and I are looking forwards to welcoming you.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

A potentially fantastic hotel that banks on its reputation. It talks the talk but unfortunately doesn't walk the walk in some aspects.

Reception are just about able to book you in. - Hadn't planned to stay here originally but having been let down elsewhere, decided to check in since the wedding that I was attending was here. Great room, location, facilities. all you would expect from a hotel of this reputation.

The morning after the wedding saw many of the wedding guests suffering with upset stomachs - to be polite!
It is poor management to be told that there was a virus going around. = Strange how this bioselective virus chose guests at the wedding!

Won't be going back there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank John S

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you very much for choosing The Kingsbury for your stay and I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback of your stay on Trip Advisor.

I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience caused during the wedding, however I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Your feedback is very valuable to us, therefore we have taken all measures necessary to eradicate such issues in the future. I am pleased to say that we have succeeded in doing so, based on the positive feedback we receive from our guests.

My team and I hope you will visit the hotel soon as we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

this is a lovely hotel with an excellent location
indian restaurant had very good food
the italian restaurant - what an amazing view it was an open terrace on the sea side with the sea breeze lovely place for dinner
take room on the right side to get the best view rooms

Room Tip: take the room on the left side or the corner rooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank shitijtours
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback of the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the fantastic food and location of the hotel.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My first experience of The Kingsbury, a very pleasant hotel on the surface let down by extremely poor service in specific areas.

On the plus side:

(i) Good location overlooking sea,
(ii) Good gym and spa facilities
(iii) Clean, pleasant rooms.

On the not so good:

(i) Unfriendly welcome on arrival, albeit relatively late at night
(ii) Extremely slow service at breakfast (20 minutes for a cup of tea)
(iii) Concerns over hygiene (human hair in buffet food)
(iv) Excessive noise after midnight from the bar so avoid rooms on higher floors
(v) Ongoing doorbell attention, from 830am onwards

I would recommend the Cinnamon Grand for any first time visitor. Normal service and excellent restaurants, and while no sea view, and excellent pool.

Room Tip: Avoid top floor, view from South Wing is better
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CB2000HongKong
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at the hotel. I appreciate how you have categorized your points in good and bad. The positive points indeed make me glad, however it is unpleasant that you have experienced a few negative points too.

The necessary procedures will be taken in order to rectify such negative points, in order that you and all our esteemed guests are provided with the superior service we have promised you.

I assure you that your next visit to The Kingsbury will be delightful, as I hope you would visit us again soon.

Best regards,