“Excellent Hotel for a traditional Sri Lankan Wedding!”
Review of The Kingsbury

The Kingsbury
Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Colombo
Manama, Bahrain
“Excellent Hotel for a traditional Sri Lankan Wedding!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were attending a wedding here and the hotel did a fabulous job with every detail. We normally choose a Club Level Room but felt it was too small to our liking. While a suite was not available, Sandun, Front Office Supervisor, made it his mission to find us something more spacious. He did and we were completely satisfied. This kind of customer service is what brings people back again. It also encourages us to recommend this hotel to others. Job well done!

Room Tip: Room 532 was an extra large king premier room with fabulous water views and a roomier bathroom. The...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, July 11, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at The Kingsbury.

I am glad that our team was able to accommodate your needs during your stay. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to Sandun, who I'm sure will be very pleased. Our goal is to ensure that all of our guests are 100% satisfied with their experience.

We thank you for your loyalty and look forward to your next visit to The Kingsbury.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I went in to the Harbour Court in June for the first time, to grab a quick bite to eat for lunch. As I was after something light and quick I ordered the crispy calamari/squid salad. It was far from quick (the restaurant wasn't even full as it was a week day). It took them 50 minutes to bring my salad. I was expecting the best salad ever, since it took 50 minutes..it was the most horrible salad I had ever eaten. I got the smallest portion ever (perfect size for an appetizer) discoloured iceberg lettuce and squid that was not crispy AT ALL! The squid was so rubbery, the salad lacked flavour (was like eating over cooked squid mixed in sweet chili sauce) I was extremely disappointed with the portion size as well. My food did not match the menu description. Will not be going there again! Management should seriously get some good "Standard recipes" and make sure the food is consistent when it leaves the kitchen.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Diss19

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for your feedback. However, it is disappointing that your experience was not satisfactory. My team strives immensely to provide the best service to each and every guest of our hotel, thus your comment and recommendations will be regarded as priority in the development of our hotel services. On behalf of the team, I apologize for the unsatisfactory experience you had at The Kingsbury.

I Hope you would visit us again in the near future, as I promise you a pleasant experience on your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Had the pleasure of experiencing the gourmet food at Kingsbury when I was in Sri Lanka in June. Thinking of the dinner buffet still makes my mouth water..

Appetizers were extensive, ranging from a full seafood spread (prawns, fish, crab, oysters) to grilled and smoked chicken, to lamb kebabs with hummus & pitta. Number of vegetarian options and some creations like galantines, veg cakes and dips.

Main courses featured Indian, Chinese, Live Grill and Local Delights. Good variety and made in from of you at request.

Deserts were really amazing - each individual dish was delicious and well presented.

We only stayed a day sadly and wished it was longer. The service was great and we lived the colonial style spleni that is Kingsbury!

• Stayed June 2013
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, July 9, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Firstly, My team and I wish to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We are happy to know you enjoyed our culinary delicacies, especially the extensive range of scrumptious dishes and desserts.

Your comments regarding our service and excellent food have been shared with our team and they serve as an encouragement to keep up the service standards.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ballina, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel was a most pleasant surprise after the hustle and bustle of downtown Colombo. For me, having good people to deal with is paramount and here the Kingsbury staff excelled. Nothing was too much trouble and the right blend of attentiveness and discretion was found throughout. The rooms were well laid out, perhaps a tad on the small side, with a reasonable ensuite. The breakfast was a lavish spread encompassing Sri Lankan curries, fresh fruit, full cooked breakfast and a selection of options from an extremely competent pastry chef. The infinity pool offered a refreshing dip and a cool drink for tired travellers. In terms of value for money, the Kingsbury was hard to beat anywhere else in Sri Lanka. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for your review and recommendation! We are extremely pleased our team made a difference in your stay, giving you the precise experience we promise our guests. We truly have a great team and I will pass along your kind words to The Kingsbury Staff. We do try to give our guests the best amenities possible while offering the best rates for their stay.

We can't wait to welcome you back!

Regards,
Mumbai
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Kingsbury has a great location.. Mostly all rooms are overseeing the sea and has a great view.. I enjoyed the early morning walk by the beach - very refreshing.. The rooms are clean and comfortable, well equipped too.. I can't pick a fault on the service side either. The breakfast was really nice - lot of options and well prepared dishes. The pool was very inviting though I didn't have time for a dip!! There is a skybar at the top which was nice too. .All in all - recommended for stay - either family or business..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for expressing your experience, and for your recommendation. I am pleased that you enjoyed the amenities and service, while appreciating the great location of our hotel. The Kingsbury has established a reputation for great food and I am delighted that you are one of the many guests to enjoy our dishes. The Sky Lounge speaks an entirely different language with its ambiance. Your kind statement about it is much appreciated.

We do hope you visit us again in the near future, as my team and I will be delighted to welcome you again.

Best regards,
Malaysia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Yes it's nice but also very inefficient in some instances. The rooms are well laid out and comfortable with well appointed bathrooms. The front office seemed a little chaotic and there was a lobby that was unusually bare apart from a few large armchairs scattered around. There are no real grounds to speak of and a decent pool. The gym is small and claustrophobic with a small sauna and steam room attached. The highlight was the Harbour Court restaurant which served really delicious food. Overall, I would recommend this place

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for choosing The Kingsbury for your stay and for taking the time to post your experience and recommendation on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the food at the Harbour Court restaurant.

Your feedback is very important to us and your comments will be regarded as priority in generating the standards of the hotel.

My team and I hope to welcome you back again, which I hope would happen in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This newly renovated hotel is pretty good overall: comfortable rooms, beautiful restaurant which serves an excellent buffet dinner and a nice sky bar on the roof. However, service is patchy e.g. room service for breakfast took over an hour to arrive and was disappointing. Checkin could also be slicker. We enjoyed our stay but the arrival of the new Shangri La hotel in 2015 will shake things up- hopefully the Kingsbury will be a true competitor by then!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, July 4, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

I wish to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay at The Kingsbury. Your feedback is indeed very important to us and I am truly happy that you enjoyed the comfort and beauty of the hotel.

My team and I ensure you that our setbacks on the service will be improved and your next visit to the hotel will be more than delightful. We have a team of motivated professionals who thrive at maximizing the standards and services of the hotel, which will enable us to maintain our preeminence throughout the existence of The Kingsbury.