“small rooms..........but great location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kingsbury

The Kingsbury
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Colombo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“small rooms..........but great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

the best waffles ever...........staff at breakfast table was very impatient to clear tables until I had to fire him for standing over our heads all thru breakfast time, he apologised eventually though, the rooms were good but the pool , gym and spa area had a very bad stink in a damp alley which was non-airconditioned which led all the way to the gym area..........did not give a positive feeling at all............but the rooms are definitely nice and clean, compact bathrooms but nice

Room Tip: the side seaview rooms we were given were a bad choice...........please do not opt for them
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AjayChhabria
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, June 24, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

It is indeed a delight to have read your review and we appreciate the time you have taken to give us a feedback about your experience. We take pride in serving the best food in Colombo and we are glad that you have enjoyed our food.

I wish to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused during your breakfast time and I can assure you that this has been taken seriously. We have considered your feedback and included them into our procedures for improvement.

We all at The Kingsbury look forward to having you with us again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Spending 4 nights in Colombo we wanted to stay somewhere nice and The Kingsbury hit the spot.
We chose an Executive Sea View room on the 9th Floor - Room 923 which was fabulous - super comfy huge bed, table and 2 armchairs, desk and chair and an extensive marble bathroom. There was a very modern safe and lots of wardrobe/cupboard space and an ironing board and iron in the room. Being on this floor you have access to the Lounge with free drinks from 5pm-7pm and a very good Continental breakfast. The staff in this lounge are really lovely and willing to help with anything you require. We experienced no noise from the Sky Bar on the 10th floor maybe because our room was at the opposite end of the hotel. The Sky bar is fab at night with a great view down to the Galle Face Hotel, the sea and the city lights. Service was excellent in both the Sky bar and the Coffee shop on the ground floor, as well as in the Business Centre. WIFI worked well and was free. The air-con in the room was quiet and you can change the temperature which is great, as the rooms are set at freezing when you arrive. The pool area is not private as stated in other reviews but it looks gorgeous and if the weather had been better we would have used it. The Gym in the basement was fine with good equipment, towels and water on hand. The only tiny complaint was that the expansive windows in our room were not clean, but given the Hotels location right on the ocean, with the SW monsoon blowing hard every day, its not surprising. There are no towel rails in the bathroom, just one hook, but the rooms are serviced twice a day so fresh dry towels were always available. Toiletries were not restocked on a daily basis but the bottles were huge and were sufficient for our 4 night stay.
The parts of Colombo you want to see can be experienced in 2 days, so a two night stay is recommended given that most airlines fly in around midnight. Have the hotel pick you up from the airport as there is not an obvious taxi stand outside the arrivals area, and the trip takes about 45 minutes. Beware of touts - they are everywhere especially near the big hotels. Transport here is very cheap with a 3 wheeler tuk tuk to anywhere in a 3 km radius costing 100 rupees ($1.00) so get into metered tuk tuks then you don't have to haggle a price which will start about 3 - 5 times more than the actual cost. All attractions, restaurants, bars etc that you will want to visit will be within this 3km radius. We had planned to walk most places but the humidity and heat make this exhausting. The hotel photos are accurate so you will know what type of room you will be getting.

Room Tip: Get a Galle face / sea view room - the view on the other side of the hotel is a port facility and ru...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for your lovely review! I and the team at The Kingsbury are delighted to have read the enjoyment of your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the rooms, services, amenities and even our lovely city of Colombo.

We have taken your feedback into consideration and rest assured that we have taken steps in doing the alterations for the areas you have mentioned for improvement.

We all are very much looking forward to welcoming you again and we would love to have you with us soon.

Takamatsu, Japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I'm staying at 9th floor for executive. It passed 11pm now. I can't sleep by very loud live music hearing from the club on the upper floor. I can hear the music day and midnight.
I asked lobby manager to stop it, but he didn't.
I will never stay at the hotel and you shouldn't loose your great time spending at the noisy hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank ykokoz

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us.

On behalf of the team, I wish to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the loud music you experienced. Your comment has been considered a vital importance to us, and we have taken vast steps towards rectifying the difficulties you faced during your stay.

I hope that this would not leave a barrier for you to visit us again as I, together with the entire staff of the hotel, wish to have you as our esteemed guest of The Kingsbury. I would be more than happy to assist you should you require any assistance.

Bathinda, Punjab, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

VISITED ON 11 TH MAY . DELUXE ROOMS , JUST TOO GOOD . CENTRALLY LOCATED , RIGHT IN HEART OF CITY , OCEAN VIEW ROOMS , COFEE SHOP BUFFETS TOO GOOD , SWIMMING POOL SUPERB . I have never slept in such a comfortable bed. I even checked to see how it had been made. The hotel was exceptional in all aspects. I highly recommend it.Overall, the service was five star. The rooms were fairly spacious and modern with good internet connection

Room Tip: Rooms of deluxe category are very good
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SuneelG2
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, July 12, 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Kingsbury on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that your stay was enjoyable and our team was able to provide you with top notch service. I will be sure to convey your feedback to my excellent team, who will be tremendously motivated by your comment.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you at the hotel, which I hope will be in the near future.

United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Kingsbury is nicely situated at the north end of Galle Face, reborn from the old Continental. It has a certain colonial charm, but its service and facilities have a good ways to go before it matches its competitors in the area. Overall, understand that this is a a business and event hotel: do not mistake it as a relaxing resort hotel.

What they are doing well:
- Rooms are very pleasant, newly renovated
- Restaurants are good, but can be disappointing in various ways (see below)
- Buffet breakfast is generous and generally very good
- The infinity pool is big enough for lap swimming
- The gym has new-ish equipment
- Staff seem to be trying hard

What they are not doing well:
- Most restaurant service is either completely overbearing or inattentive. They have not found the happy spot
- Room service food was decent value, but rather average across Western, Sri Lankan and Asian offerings, e.g., lobster was chewy, overcooked, curries were oily, sandwiches just OK
- the view to the north past the pool features an empty construction lot
- the spa and gym areas were still under construction late April 2013 and sometimes the gym was either completely inaccessible or unattended
- The rooftop bar, which had just opened, has a great view but beyond ridiculous prices...and where's the delicious local draft beer?
- Loud music from events and/or the rooftop bar will definitely disturb your evening, no matter which side of the hotel you are on

For pool and gym users: just be aware you will be on display. The pool runs the length of the windows of the restaurant and lounge areas. There are no private spots. The gym faces the seafront road, so passersby will watch you with curiosity...but why not go out and run or walk along the Galle Face anyway? Also, just be aware that the Galle Face promenade is a nice place for a walk, but the beach is largely non-existent because of high tides and you can't really swim in the ocean...I think there are nasty riptides

Room Tip: The view to south may be more interesting, but loud music from events is an issue
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you very much for posting your feedback of your stay at the hotel on TripAdvisor. I appreciate the time taken by you to do so.

Your feedback is of high importance to us and will be considered in all aspects towards developing our service standards, in order to provide our guests a true Kingsbury experience.

My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back again, which I hope will be in the near future.

Basel, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We wanted to have high tea here last week but it did not work out. Somehow, the maitre had a problem with such order and after some back and forth discussion, we opted for tea and snacks. A smoked salmon sandwich, samosas and 2 fish-bags. The whole thing was a mess. It took 1 hour until we could ask for the bill which also was wrong. Hopeless staff, managed by an even more hopeless manager in a silly setting with bad air. First time - last time - never again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fuzzyguy

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

I appreciate the time taken to post your feedback of your experience at The Kingsbury. However, it is disappointing and I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to the hotel. We will consider all aspects of your feedback in order to provide you a better experience, which I hope you will come to experience in the near future.

Looking forward to welcoming you again.

surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

roof top pub was good the bad part of it is the staff was badly trained did not know the manue
service was average ask what is in the coktail anser mango did not know their drinks the jazz band was good but took breaks after every few minutes.the hotel looks good as it is new I hope they improve the sevice and the qulity of the food in the roof top bar.Will try one more time next time I
am in colombo

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank herbiefrogg

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Firstly, I wish to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Kingsbury on TripAdvisor. Of course, I would have wished for you to have had a better experience. Nevertheless, I will assure you that our quality of service and guest experience will improve in the near future, giving you and all our guests the promised Kingsbury experience; an experience that will be truly memorable. Therefore, my team and I will be delighted to welcome you again, which I hope will happen very soon.