“On level 10 for a good city view & a very central location”
Review of Pearl Grand Hotel

Pearl Grand Hotel
Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I arrived on Sunday 25/08/13 in a Tuk Tuk after spending 10 nights in Negombo & took around 1 hour & 40 min's in the Tuk Tuk into Central Colombo & cost 2000 rupees. On first impressions the hotel looks very modern from the outside. When I approached the front reception desk there was some confusion with my last minute booking from the night before, eventually i had to show my confirmation on my IPhone, then asked for my passport and I asked to view my room before showing my passport, I'm informed my room is on level 4 & I reminded the staff I requested a room on the top floor level 10, then shown room 1007 with 2 single beds & I'd requested a double bed & I ended up excepting room 1007, passport shown & swipe card given & breakfast included at USD $85- per night for 4 nights. The room was ultra modern with a good sized double bed, good bathroom with all the goodies, TV reception good [only watched the BBC news], safety box & tea & coffee facilities with a small fridge, the balcony was a nice size however no where to sit on the balcony, also no ashtrays on the balcony if you smoke ??? Overall I enjoyed my stay and was happy with the room, breakfast served on level one & a very good choice with excellent service, most staff were friendly helpful & professional. A nice pool on the roof terrace & small gym with a sauna. I only had one meal during the evening in the hotel restaurant again on level one, appeared to be more staff than guests in the restaurant and no atmosphere. My only 2 negative comments about my stay was the weak HI FI connection & very frustrating at times, also when you leave your room the power goes off after a few min's & annoying when your charging your phone or other electronic gadgets, at the end I asked for an extra swipe card & much easier charging everything. I slept well with the A/Con on & no noise from other guests. Arranged private taxi transfer late evening on the 29/8/13 to the international airport, cost 3000 rupees one way. I checked out of my room at 12:30pm on Thursday 29/8/13 and then spent the rest of the day on the local Tuk Tuk's around Central Colombo, returned to hotel at 7pm & left to the airport at 9pm. The hotel staff only offer me an extra 2 hrs to keep my room or after 2pm they charge another full night room rate !!!!! You can lock your luggage away in a store room close to the reception desk & they will give you a card to claim on your return before checking out, my bill paid using my credit card without any fuss. I'd like to thank a male staff member who helped with my luggage [sorry can't remember his name[, he was a very helpful & professional young man & once again many thanks............ a great central location to stay & only a 10 min's walk to the local shopping centre.

Room Tip: always view your room before showing your passport & credit card
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Stephen N

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We arrived in the early morning at 2AM and received a very warm welcome, the check in was quick and efficient . The room while small was well appointed as was the bathroom . The breakfast provided was very good with plenty of choice for tastes . We found all staff helpful and courteous so we were happy with our hotel selection.

Room Tip: A high floor if possible
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Talsker
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed in Pearl Grand Hotel with family for 3 nights. It is a decent hotel, centrally located in Colombo. Has a good roof top swimming pool, bar, and gym. The pool had a lot of good safety features incorporated, such as grill between kids pool and main pool for childre protection, availability of floating devices, mentioning of depths at various locations etc.
The room was furnished with required amenities. Staff was friendly and co-operative.
Owing to its location, most of the central locations were available on walking distance, such as Majestic City shopping mall (having Cineplex), Barefoot,and some decent food restaurants serving Halal food (such as Pillawoos, Tandoori Hut, etc). Big fast food chains (such as KFC, Pizza Hut, McDonalds) were also within 10 minutes walking distance.
Breakfast served in the hotel restaurant had pleanty of variety, and was of good quality.
Overall, this hotel is a good choice if you want to stay in Central colombo.

Room Tip: 1) Ask for a room having sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FahadAftab
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Pearl Grand is a decent hotel - rooms are good (family suites are MASSIVE, well worth it), excellent rooftop pool and juice bar, breakfast is strong. It's a little piece of western-standard comfort in an, at times, arduous city and country. Barefoot cafe is over the road and a MUST visit for a relaxing afternoon. Cricket Club Cafe is a 5min walk away, and similarly worth a visit.

Room Tip: Family suites have two singles and a HUGE king bed, with two huge sofas in a living room area. We (f...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank barney m
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed in Pearl Grand for 3 nights and I was pleasantly surprised as I never knew about this place until the day I checked into it. It similar to typical 3 or 4 star business hotels Europe but I can't remember seeing all those amenities in one place before. In the room I stayed, I had everything I needed for my stay. From a toothbrush to a clothing line! I liked the novelty DND feature which is just a switch of a button, but at the same time I can see that it can be annoying to some people as it stays on as if you are having a night light. Not to forget that it gets switched off when you leave the room.

It's in the heart of Colombo close to everything. But I saw things that could've been improved. For example they've done some work inside the bathroom but left it properly finishing the job. Lobby and the rooftop bar areas need a bit of 'life'.

All in all it's a great place and would recommend to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced hotel in the centre of Colombo.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Pradeep M
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Standard "western" hotel.
Happy that they had a family room for all five of us.

Nice pool on the roof.With two kinds of Saunas. Something that we missed a lot.... :-)
I also liked the fact its VERY close to our favorite store in Sri Lanka: Barefoot!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jonkol
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Their rooftop pool is definitely the highlight while the rest... well... let's just call it forgettable...

Pro:
1. decent shower, bed
2. clean room with high ceiling, good size LCD/LED TV & in-room safe.
3. Their "Do Not Disturb" sign is strictly enforced... so if you ask for anything, they won't knock on your door unless you turn it off... which is good... I think...

Con:
1. Wi-Fi is pathetic on the 4th floor
2. I asked for a Queen-bed, but they say hotel is full... yet when my refrigerator broke, the bellboy opened the next room and swap the fridges....
3. Lousy breakfast, they have a few selections, but like I said... forgettable
4. my patio door doesn't lock, which maybe a problem if you're the worry-type
4. Front desk has poor communication with their shifts... I asked for a 2.5 days stay, they confirmed it, but the night shift has no knowledge of it and charged me 3 days... well, it got sorted after a while...

Verdict:
Not a bad place to stay considering your budget and if its a business trip. This is not a vacation hotel

Suggestion while in Town:
1. Overall people are very friendly, but if a stranger starts asking you more than one question, then there's likely an agenda. I almost got hustled US$20 for a $2 tuktuk fare.
2. always take a meter tuktuk and don't get on it if driver says the meter is busted (unless you know your way around well)

Room Tip: - poor WiFi signal on the 4th floor - the view of the sea shore is on the side, which will be bette...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business