All reviews rooftop pool foot massage majestic city galle road sri lanka small gym nice hotel standard hotel comfortable stay breakfast spread hotel is centrally located rooms are comfortable double bed walkable distance tuk tuk short stay tea coffee
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Their rooftop pool is definitely the highlight while the rest... well... let's just call it forgettable...

Pro:
1. decent shower, bed
2. clean room with high ceiling, good size LCD/LED TV & in-room safe.
3. Their "Do Not Disturb" sign is strictly enforced... so if you ask for anything, they won't knock on your door unless you turn it off... which is good... I think...

Con:
1. Wi-Fi is pathetic on the 4th floor
2. I asked for a Queen-bed, but they say hotel is full... yet when my refrigerator broke, the bellboy opened the next room and swap the fridges....
3. Lousy breakfast, they have a few selections, but like I said... forgettable
4. my patio door doesn't lock, which maybe a problem if you're the worry-type
4. Front desk has poor communication with their shifts... I asked for a 2.5 days stay, they confirmed it, but the night shift has no knowledge of it and charged me 3 days... well, it got sorted after a while...

Verdict:
Not a bad place to stay considering your budget and if its a business trip. This is not a vacation hotel

Suggestion while in Town:
1. Overall people are very friendly, but if a stranger starts asking you more than one question, then there's likely an agenda. I almost got hustled US$20 for a $2 tuktuk fare.
2. always take a meter tuktuk and don't get on it if driver says the meter is busted (unless you know your way around well)

Room tip: - poor WiFi signal on the 4th floor - the view of the sea shore is on the side, which will be better if you're staying higher up
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank echo-i
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Rooms were lovely and the bed was very comfy but the building is infested with ants. We had to leave our first room because of flying ants taking over the ceiling. We moved to another room and then over night thousands of ants appeared on the bed side table. Pool on the roof is nice but doesn't compare to some of the other pools in cmb.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carlotta_Liz
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Pearl is in a slightly "seedy" looking area of Colombo, not far from beach, and there are some restaurants within walking distance but not much else. The staff are absolutely delightful, and the restaurant is great. The breakfasts were really wonderful for us, with my husband loving the curries and dahls, yes, for breakfast! and I loved the porridge, fruit and also tried the dahl as it smelled sooo good and wasn't disappointed. Plenty of other options as well, yum.The food was fairly spicy, which suited us well, and was really tasty.The wait staff were excellent.
Our room was adequate, and the bed was comfy. Overall a good experience for us, at a good price.Oh, and the pool on the roof was wonderful, with great views.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beeker49
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was actually booked at the sister hotel, Pearl City Hotel, but as I arrived late, "there was no room at the inn." They moved me to the Pearl Grand Hotel next door. Much to my delight, it was an upgrade. Though when I got there, I hit the bed, and woke up extra early to get the train to Kandy.

Though I stayed only a short time, the room was nice and comfortable. It was quite modern and a nice location. After my flight, I did walk around the neighborhood to Majestic Center (which was closed), but the neighborhood seemed quite nice.

The bellman was quite nice. He offered to arrange my wake-up call (but had my own clock) and my transportation in the morning to Fort Railway Station. In the morning, he hailed me a tuk tuk. FYI, it cost me 300 rupees (US$2.25) to Fort Railway Station.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank globetrekker728
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the lower priced sister hotel at 2am having flown for many hours only to be told they had over booked but we would be "upgraded" across the alleyway to The Pearl Grand. We were offered twin beds(no doubles available) & put on a smelly floor where water had leaked onto the carpet making it dank & mouldy smelling. There was also mould in the bathroom. Management were rude but the bellboys & kitchen staff were friendly. No alcohol anywhere(no mini bar, hotel bar - popular with Muslims) but loud louts causing a racket at all hours encouraged. Location was the only real redeeming feature.

Date of stay: June 2013