“Everything was ok”
Review of Hilton Colombo

Hilton Colombo
Ranked #12 of 55 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had a pleasant stay at the Hilton, a good hotel for one night after arriving in Sri Lanka in the afternoon. We got a massive 2-bedroom suite, the room facing the river – and the sunset was wonderful and perfect for honeymoon ! The customer service level was high, the city location is perfect and there are good restaurants within the hotel. Everything was fine and our suite was good value for the price.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RebeccaAndNick
HiltonColombo_GM, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you very much for selecting the Hilton Colombo during your recent stay with us.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed the services & facilities. We do appreciate your support and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Manesh Fernando

Write a ReviewReviews (2,141)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel was in a great location, easy to get to and from, and in a nice area to walk the waterfront and close restaurants. The Hotel staff was amazing and plentiful in every area, front desk, restaurants, entrances, and executive lounge.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for reviewing your recent Hilton Colombo experience. I am pleased that my team made you feel comfortable and well looked after.

We do appreciate your support and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I had airport transfers arranged through the hotel which was very convenient, but at $45 each way, I thought this was a little steep. The driver on arrival wasn't holding up the sign with my name on it so I walked past him and started to get a little panicked that my transport hadn't arrived. Other drivers directed me to the Hilton Colombo desk and obviously word got around that I had arrived and my driver had to follow me to identify himself. I was just off an overnight flight and as a single female carrying a couple of bags by myself after a night of no sleep, it would have been appreciated it the driver had offered to help carry a bag. Overall poor service from the driver who was assigned my airport pick up. There are three basic things involved in picking up a guest - holding up a sign with the guest name on it, carrying the guests' bags and driving the guest to the hotel. This guy only got one out of three right - hardly worth USD$45. I also had issues with the transport company in terms of communicating that I needed an earlier pick up. Over half an hour of time was wasted and at one stage, I was being transferred from person to person at the Hilton hotel, no one was taking the time to listen to what I needed and connect me to the right person, they just immediately got rid of me by transferring me to someone else. I don't know what other options for organized transport there are in Colombo, but the hotel transport that was arranged in advance was quite the fiasco.

The hotel entrance/lobby/outside fountain area are a lot grander than the rooms themselves. There is free wifi access in the lobby, though I didn't use this myself as I arrived at around 3am my time. I tried to briefly check my emails in my room (wifi costs in the rooms) but couldn't successfully connect. I was absolutely gobsmacked to find out that there is a charge to use the business centre. I have never come across this before in a hotel. The manager granted me free access to check my emails after I explained to her my disappointment at finding half used shampoo and conditioner stocked in my room for my use. This was a gracious offer by the manager though I'm still confused as to how a hotel can get away with charging for use of the internet in the business centre.

The room was pretty old and tired looking. The hotel has obviously tried to prioritise refurbishment as I noticed that the curtains and sofa coverings were new. The bathroom is quite desperately in need of some modernization and as I previously mentioned, it was pretty appalling to find that housekeeping had tried to recycle the shampoo and conditioner used by a previous guest. This is a supposed to be a five star hotel and the roomrate was far more expensive than I was expecting, I don't want hostel like circumstances of previously used shampoos.

The breakfast is served in a restaurant on the ground floor. Service is ok and variety is average, bordering on below average for an international hotel. I was only staying one night so it was ok.

Spa - the spa promoted by the hotel is around a five minute walk away in a gym type complex across the road. The prices are reasonable but it's by no means a fancy place and service wasn't exactly gracious.

Salon - the salon was fantastic. I had a guy thread my eyebrows for around USD$2.50 which was a great price and a really lovely lady do my nails - also very reasonably priced. The salon was my favourite part of the hotel experience.

My verdict? Despite the great salon experience, should I return to Colombo, I'll be doing everything within my power to avoid returning to this hotel in future.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your constructive comments which are well taken. We sincerely regret the airport transfer incident.

In the hope that you will provide us another opportunity to restore your confidence.

Thank you once again for your support and valued feedback.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Hilton is a good hotel in Colombo. First the good points
1. Fantastic location with a lot of nice areas walking distance
2. Good staff and willing to help out
3. Good restaurants within the hotel
4. Spacious rooms

The things which could be better
1. Rooms are a bit old with TVs etc. not being modern
2. More expensive than other hotels in the area

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind review of the Hilton Colombo. Your constructive feedback is well taken.

May we take this opportunity to thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to be of service to you and look forward to welcoming you back on your future visits.

May we mention that the Hilton Colombo is planned to undergo a renovation programme phased out with minimum inconvenience to our guests. We hope that you would give us another opportunity to experience Hilton hospitality.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We knew that after long flights we wanted to spend our two nights in Colombo in a nice, easy to find hotel, in a good location. Hilton Colombo didn't disappoint. Excellent service, the rooms were nice and clean, even if a little dated. The pool and gym area were also very nice. Very comfortable beds too! Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, Sri Lanka is an amazing country with some of the kindest and most generous people I have ever met.

Oh, and do yourself a favour... Make sure you eat at the the Sri Lankan buffet in The Curry Leaf Restaurant!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for selecting the Hilton Colombo during your stay in Colombo. We are pleased to note that you enjoyed the services & facilities of our hotel.

May we take this opportunity to thank you very much for your support and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

While property is nice and have good resturants but service is up & down. Sometimes they are good sometimes very bad. Pool is very nice and hotel is centerally located in the colombo city. Close to railway station.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your feedback and sincerely regret the inconsistent service you experienced. You comments are well taken.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your support of the Hiton Colombo and in the hope that you would provide us another opportunity to restore your confidence.

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I booked the hotel through my travle agent at work, for four days. It became quite clear that I would have to extend my stay so I called the hotel up, before my departure. After speaking to about five different people telling them the same story, they extended my stay and and told me the room was reserved for one more day, I just had to check in and out again. When I came down to fix it, they told me they had no recording of the extra day. But they would fix it, but it would be at a much higher fee for the night. I asked them to match the rate I had the previous four nights, but then told me to book through my travel agent again and they could not help me. They even lied to my face and told me it was "illegal" to give the same rate. It is not illegal, it is horrible service.

The rest of the hotel was ok, rooms were extremely outdated and internet was not included, which I think is a shame and should be standard in 2014 at least at a five star hotel. The staff were friendly, but despite that they did not provide the service. I have stayed at many other hotels in Asia traveling for business, and the Hilton Colomo was the worst. I don't think I will ever use this hotel again, or Hilton as a chain again.

It seems to me that the staff has little autonomy and are not able to think for themself to help guest. They are trying their best but their hands seems to be tied. In addition it seems that the communication among the staff is very low, as I had to explain myself several times saying the same thing which is quite annoying.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay at the Hilton Colombo.

We note that your stay with us was not as comfortable as it should have been due to the various circumstances experienced by you. We sincerely regret the inconvenience you were subjected to.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your support and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back and restoring your confidence.