“Great location preparing for a huge facelift”
Review of Hilton Colombo

Hilton Colombo
Ranked #10 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
Chenna
“Great location preparing for a huge facelift”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

HILTON COLOMBO is a historic hotel.. generations of Sri Lankans have literally grown up there..e eating at the various excellent restaurants and enjoying the music and tea selections in the lobby lounge. THe rooms are small.. even the executive floors and the TVs are ancient. But all that is set to change from December 15 when the hotel closes for a whole year for a facelift. The choice of restaurants is excellent,from Chinese, Japanese, Sri Lankan, a sumptuous breakfast and lunch buffet and a courteous staff.. The location is unbeatable being walking distance from the ocean and the historic DUTCH HOSPITAL across the road for more chic restaurants, shops, bars and the iconic SPA CEYLON. I will return after it re opens although it may not be the best in terms of comfort.. but the feeling it gives me is old world comfort..

Room Tip: Choice of restaurants.. pool is too far away.. health club is average but the location is ideal for...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Mucharooni,

Thank you for sharing your insights on Hilton Colombo, I am delighted that you enjoyed yor recent experience with us. Your feedback on our dining options, rooms and location is much appreciated.

We are indeed preparing for the upcoming renovations of our rooms and facilities, and I can assure you, my team and I are excited at the prospect of presenting a revitalised Hilton Colombo to you and all our guests. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to seeing you in the near future!

Rudolf Troestler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
jubail, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed September 24, 2013

that hotel it doesent match my satisfaction from different points,,, but staff was very nice and helpfull. service is seems so limitted like an 3 star hotel but for this 5 star should get more than our expectation.

Dear Saleh A,

I am sorry that your recent stay was a disappointing experience, though I am happy to read that my team delivered warm and attentive service to you.

In our continuous efforts to provide the outstanding products and services expected of a Hilton hotel, we place a high importance on feedback provided by our guests. This is why we will start carrying out the long-awaited upgrading works to our rooms and facilities in just a few months.

My team and I very much look forward to presenting a brand new Hilton Colombo experience to our guests and we hope that you will stay with us again after our renovations are complete. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed September 24, 2013

If you are looking for Hilton International worlwide reputation, you shall avoid this one.
Definetly over priced, i am been charged 175 US$ for a 1980's room !!!! without breakfast nor internet...
The TV is a collector from the 80's, looks like a fish ball.
The bathroom is very old, but clean
Good point for the breakfast, nice staff and well appointed.
All public areas are so old.
Will try another one next business trip and will share the outcome

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear PhilippeAD,

I am sorry that your recent stay with us fell below your expectations. You will be pleased to know that we will soon be carrying out extensive upgrading works on our rooms and facilities. My team and I look forward to presenting a brand new experience to our guests in the near future.

I am nevertheless pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet spread and service. Whilst you have indicated otherwise, we sincerely hope that the prospect of a revitalised Hilton Colombo encourages you to visit us again. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back and extend our Sri Lankan hospitality to you.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Restaurant food quality seems to have fallen at il ponte and in the Chinese restaurant but the staff at breakfast have finally learned not to pester you. Given Colombo prices, fair value. Location is a bit out of the way.

Dear Peter C,

Thank you for posting your review of Hilton Colombo, we always appreciate hearing back from our guests.

Your feedback on our breakfast service, Il Ponte and Emperors Wok has been conveyed to the team. We are confident that with our regular food reviews and quality checks, we are more than capable of delivering great dining experiences to our guests.

Thanks again for sharing your insights and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were staying at the Kingsbury, but after our tour was starting 3 days later than expected we thought we'd move over to the Hilton as a treat before leaving Colombo. Big mistake.

We booked the basic level room, but still expected to get what we'd paid for as it was still more expensive than most rooms in town. The room is what you'd expect to pay $100 per night for in most hotels.

- The furniture and decor is very outdated and worn out.
- Old style TV with very limited channels.
- Coke in mini bar appeared to have been picked up from the streets and refilled.
- Menus etc scrappy & limited selection.
- Laundry VERY expensive (As most hotels are)... We paid for wash & pressing. Everything came back roughly folded without pressing.
- The lock on our door was broken.This had to be repaired
- Our toilet leaked all over the bathroom floor.
- WIFI cost us $18 AUD for 24 hours , it worked for a total of 1 hour due to continually dropping out. This was reported twice, but not rectified.

On a good note, the staff were great. Everyone was very friendly, and happy to assist. They all speak very good English which made everything much easier to deal with.
The reason we would not recommend this hotel is because it is not worth the money it costs to stay there.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Jessie B,

I am sorry to read of your disappointing experience at Hilton Colombo. As we prepare for the hotel's extensive upgrading works, my team works hard to deliver the warm Sri Lankan hospitality and five-star service to ensure the comfort and well-being of our guests.

I am glad that you felt well-looked after while you were with us but it is regrettable that your dining experience, WiFi connection and laundry service fell below your expectations. We agree that these are basic yet important factors that do contribute towards all our guests' stay experiences and we will take steps to address these points.

As I have mentioned, we will soon be carrying out extensive works on our rooms and facilities, and all of us look forward to presenting a brand new experience to our guests in the near future. We sincerely hope that you will visit us again once these works are completed so that you may enjoy a refreshed and revitalised Hilton Colombo. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Hollymaan
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The service of the hotel has improved a lot since a couple of years back. The check in was courteous and fast. The biggest improvement I noticed is the improvement in the service of front desk. A couple of years back the service lacked warmth and welcome expected of a Hilton property. But this time around the feeling was fantastic. Form the doorman to the reception well done!

The rooms were cozy, clean and comfortable. House Keeping was efficient and very polite. Loved the way the room boy I asked me "which time I would like to have the room cleaned" rather than would I like to get the room cleaned.

The room service was prompt and fast. Not very impressed with the quality of American breakfast I had though. Was expecting a lot more on that, but was luckily not a total disappointment.

The best thing was, I had an evening flight and needed a late check out which the reception arranged without making me feel as though I was asking to give a time share of the room. You had the room, you gave the room, thank you.

The small details like the handling of the luggage by the door man, to the way the house keeping inquired about cleaning of the room to the way the front desk handled my request for a late check out, Hilton Colombo has won me over. I am defiantly choosing Hilton Colombo for my future stays.

Dear Hollymaan,

My team and I are honoured to be your preferred hotel in Colombo! I am proud that my team provided the outstanding hospitality and service that made your Hilton Colombo experience so comfortable and memorable. It is this high level of warmth and attentiveness that we continually endeavour to deliver to our guests.

We truly value your continued patronage and look forward to having you with us again in the future. As always, we remain at your service.

bangalore, India
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Unexpectedly we were lead to this hotel just because we had faced an unexpected trouble at that time. Our passports and money had been stolen at the Fort station and reached this hotel just by chance. Thanks to all the staff members’ kind support and special treatment, however, we could survive and feel relieved even after the unfortunate trouble. I will never dislike SriLanka thanks to Hilton and will never forget their kindness. Especially our small children were helped a lot. Thank you very very much.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Yoshinari H,

My team and I are heartened to receive your review, the pleasure was ours to ensure your comfort and well-being after the unfortunate circumstance that you and your family had experienced. Do come and visit us again in the future, all of us look forward to welcoming you back and extending once again our Sri Lankan hospitality. Thank you very much for your kind feedback.