“Beautiful location and good property”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Colombo

Hilton Colombo
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Colombo
Ludhiana, India
“Beautiful location and good property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Nice location. The standard has been maintained for quite some time now. Neat clean rooms with beautiful view of the sea!
Sea view rooms are always good.
The number of restaurants in the hotel is a real plus point for the Foodies!
Buffet spread is always lavish and good!
The desserts spread is huge, but most of them are average. Should improve the quality of desserts, rather than just quantity!
Overall a very good experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear vineetjain1973,

My team and I warmly thank you for your kind review of Hilton Colombo. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed a wonderful experience with us and that our restaurants highlighted your stay.

We appreciate your feedback on our desserts spread and my team of talented chefs will certainly do their utmost to continue delighting our guests with innovative and sensational desserts.

Your continued patronage is of great value to us and we look forward to having you and your family with us again in the near future.

Rudolf Troestler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed there 2 nights in June as part of a 7 day trip to SriLanka. Standard comfortable Hilton experience as always. Offered to upgrade to executive level at extra charge but we opt out. Breakfast was good but not as elaborate as I have seen in some other Hilton properties but still very good.

The hotel needs a modern uplift as it shows signs of aging for instance bathrooms, TV(still a small box style rather than a flat screen which are a standard now).

Location is excellent and very close to Dutch Hospital with excellent restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear TravelJunkieDubai,

Thank you for staying at Hilton Colombo during your holiday in Sri Lanka, it was our pleasure to have you with us. My team and I are delighted that your enjoyed a comfortable experience and our breakfast spread during your brief stay. We very much appreciate your feedback and you will be glad to know that we will soon be taking steps to upgrade our rooms and facilities. We hope for another opportunity in the future to extend our warm Hilton hospitality to you, should you return to Colombo.

Paris
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

The lobby looks nice but that's the only good thing in the hotel. Everything is very old and was due renovation many years ago. If you are nostalgic of the seventies then you may like it, otherwise choose a different hotel, it will be better and cheaper.

Pros:
- nice lobby
- nice views from the room, although the windows need cleaning
- breakfast is ok

Cons:
- very old rooms
- bathroom from the previous century
- mediocre service
- rooms are noisy as walls are thin as cigarette papers, wake up with the noise of the other rooms during the night and the noise from the street in the morning
- you have to cross a bridge and walk for a while to arrive to the swimming pool
- fitness center is open to public so forget it, there will be no space for you
- expensive wifi and hotel pick-up

Do yourself a favour and book somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jtblin
Dear jtblin,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights from your recent stay at Hilton Colombo.

Whilst I am glad that you found our lobby, breakfast and views to be satisfactory, I am sorry that our rooms and facilities were a disappointment for you. We are in fact looking forward to upgrading our rooms and premises in the near future. In the meantime, we are expecting our first shipment of new furniture and electrical equipment and I can assure you that my team and I look forward to presenting a brand new experience to all our guests.

As we prepare for the hotel's upcoming refurbishment, we continue to work hard to refine our service so that our guests enjoy great experiences everytime they stay with us.

I hope that the prospect of a revitalised Hilton Colombo encourages you to stay with us again in the future. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back and extend our Sri Lankan hospitality to you. Thank you again for your feedback.

Mumbai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Excellent hotel for stay in Colombo. Good food and nice staff. The hotel is a bit outdated in terms of the structure though but a convenient hotel to stay with good amenities and services. A recommended hotel for business stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Aliasgar M,

Thank you for recommending Hilton Colombo to the Tripadvisor community, we very much appreciate your positive feedback on your experience with us. It is good to know that you were comfortable and felt well-looked after by my team. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Colombo.

Haleiwa, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Hilton Colombo is not only a hotel, but a landmark and one of the Grand Hotels in the country.

Rooms were comfortable, many restaurants to select from.
The pool was beautiful but a long walk from the rooms.
I enjoyed the lobby lounge with life entertainment.

Service was good an efficient. You're in walking distance to the city center.
Recommended when going to Sri Lanka on business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear eTurboNews,

It is a pleasure to read your kind review and recommendation of Hilton Colombo! My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt well-looked after while you were with us. Your positive feedback certainly encourages us to continue delivering the outstanding Hilton hospitality and service to all our guests. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

It was my first time in Sri Lanka but I have to say it certainly left a good impression. We booked the suite as the price was pretty affordable. The hotel is about 45 mins from the airport and we had a driver for the entire duration of our trip. The view from my room was awesome and the suite was big. Furnishing was a little outdated and they were still not using flat-screen televisions but everything was still working fine. Service was good. I remember when I could not find the bottle opener to open my bottle of coke I had called the reception up and they told me it was on the wall of the bathroom. I searched the wall to no avail, not realizing that the bottle opener they used looked very different from the one I am used to seeing so I had to call someone to help me. The guy used a portable bottle opener and tried to point out that there was a bottle opener on the bathroom wall. On the second night, the same thing happened again and I had to call someone up until he pointed out to me and showed me how to use it.

I also tried out the spa facilities but the spa is located across the road so you have to cross a bridge to get there. The massage was ok. They had showers so I managed to have a shower before walking back to the hotel. I certainly did not want to walk back all covered in oil. The spa facilities and swimming pool were all located on the opposite side of the road so it was a little inconvenient to cross the overhead bridge with other people who were not hotel guests.

The buffet in the restaurant was not bad and we had drinks at the bar too. Overall, I would say that it was worth what we paid for.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear KendraBlair,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hilton Colombo. I am delighted to read that your experience with us left a good impression, especially as it was your first time in Sri Lanka!

We very much appreciate your feedback and insights on our guest room, service, dining experience and facilities. You will be pleased to know that we will soon be upgrading our guest rooms with new furnishings. We certainly recommend visiting Sri Lanka again for another holiday and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Islamabad, Pakistan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a good Hotel at a very nice location, the rooms are clean and well furnished. The Restaurant staff are biased and have preferences on guest, that is quite annoying. The food is extremely spicy and i had stomach problem during the whole week.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank Roomi.S H
Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Roomi.S H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Hilton Colombo, we very much appreciate receiving your valuable feedback.

I am glad that our location and guest room suited your requirements during your stay. However, please accept my apologies if you were a bit overwhelmed by my team members while you were dining, which caused you discomfort during your week with us. We do our best to provide a varied selection of food items to suit our guests' palates and preferences. Moreover, we encourage our guests to advise on their "spiciness" preference. My team is enthusiastic in introducing Sri Lankan delicacies to all our guests who come from abroad but I have nevertheless shared your feedback with them to ensure that appropriate corrective action is taken.

We hope to deliver a better stay experience to you on your return to Colombo. Thank you once again for sharing your feedback.