“Stayed here during a Chinese New Year getaway”
Review of Hilton Colombo

Hilton Colombo
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed June 11, 2013

It was my first time in Sri Lanka but I have to say it certainly left a good impression. We booked the suite as the price was pretty affordable. The hotel is about 45 mins from the airport and we had a driver for the entire duration of our trip. The view from my room was awesome and the suite was big. Furnishing was a little outdated and they were still not using flat-screen televisions but everything was still working fine. Service was good. I remember when I could not find the bottle opener to open my bottle of coke I had called the reception up and they told me it was on the wall of the bathroom. I searched the wall to no avail, not realizing that the bottle opener they used looked very different from the one I am used to seeing so I had to call someone to help me. The guy used a portable bottle opener and tried to point out that there was a bottle opener on the bathroom wall. On the second night, the same thing happened again and I had to call someone up until he pointed out to me and showed me how to use it.

I also tried out the spa facilities but the spa is located across the road so you have to cross a bridge to get there. The massage was ok. They had showers so I managed to have a shower before walking back to the hotel. I certainly did not want to walk back all covered in oil. The spa facilities and swimming pool were all located on the opposite side of the road so it was a little inconvenient to cross the overhead bridge with other people who were not hotel guests.

The buffet in the restaurant was not bad and we had drinks at the bar too. Overall, I would say that it was worth what we paid for.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear KendraBlair,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hilton Colombo. I am delighted to read that your experience with us left a good impression, especially as it was your first time in Sri Lanka!

We very much appreciate your feedback and insights on our guest room, service, dining experience and facilities. You will be pleased to know that we will soon be upgrading our guest rooms with new furnishings. We certainly recommend visiting Sri Lanka again for another holiday and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Colombo

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a good Hotel at a very nice location, the rooms are clean and well furnished. The Restaurant staff are biased and have preferences on guest, that is quite annoying. The food is extremely spicy and i had stomach problem during the whole week.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Thank Roomi.S H
Rudolf_Tr0estler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear Roomi.S H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Hilton Colombo, we very much appreciate receiving your valuable feedback.

I am glad that our location and guest room suited your requirements during your stay. However, please accept my apologies if you were a bit overwhelmed by my team members while you were dining, which caused you discomfort during your week with us. We do our best to provide a varied selection of food items to suit our guests' palates and preferences. Moreover, we encourage our guests to advise on their "spiciness" preference. My team is enthusiastic in introducing Sri Lankan delicacies to all our guests who come from abroad but I have nevertheless shared your feedback with them to ensure that appropriate corrective action is taken.

We hope to deliver a better stay experience to you on your return to Colombo. Thank you once again for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Hilton Colombo has always been my favourite hotel in that city.....why so ? Several reasons...explained below.

1. The staff : across the board - in restaurants, reception, health club, everywhere. Always smiling and always ready to please. It does help to be a frequent guest and knowing a lot of the staff but they were pretty much the same when I first started using this hotel. The staff at the executive lounge are super and provide outstanding service....Zeno, Mohan, Dinesh, Zayan well done !

2. The restaurants : the Hilton CMB has several restaurants offering a variety of cuisines. The Spices restaurant offers probably one of the best breakfast and lunch buffets in town. The 'Curryleaf' outdoor seafood/srilankan has a lovely setting and excellent food. The Spoons is for a nice continental meal in a hoity-toity setting, and the Wok (Chinese) also offers a good variety and taste. The Italian (Il Ponte, if i remember correctly) is located at the poolside and dishes out some lovely pizzas! Admittedly I dislike Japanese food and have not tried out the Japanese restaurant at the Hilton CMB but I'm sure for those who love Jap food, it would not be found lacking.

3. Health club : the pool here is another favourite. It's much larger than most hotel pools I've seen and you can swim about 30m in a straight line which is good for laps (which I do). Apart from the pool there's a well equipped gym, steam/sauna. The jacuzzi is OK and needs to be renovated.

4. Location : this hotel is located in the heart of the business district and right next to the World trade center towers. The ocean view rooms give a fantastic view of the Galle face beach and the Indian ocean !

5. Rooms : Now here is where this hotel needs some improvements (hasn't been refurbished for several years, though extremely well maintained) apparently a fight between Hilton and the owner (Govt of Srilanka)...thankfully the Govt hasn't interfered in the day to day working !

- Bathrooms decor is dated and needs to change! Need a bum shower, we Indians find toilet paper unhygienic and prefer to wash!!
- Beds are comfy but some of them too soft !
- Rooms still have the old CRT (box) TVs, time they changed to LCD or LED TVs.
- Room size is adequate and good for a business hotel.
- Rooms need more plug points if you need to iron or charge multiple devices.
- I do notice several times spikes and lows in the water flow and temperature of the shower (probably due to the fact it's an old system and needs to be refurbished)

I can't really find too many faults even if I tried to ! It's one of the best hotels I've stayed anywhere in the world and the friendliness and efficiency of the staff make it even more endearing. I think it's also great value for money as a 5* business hotel, at around $ 200-220 including taxes and breakfast.

Finally, do try the chocolates and cakes from the cake shop....a tad expensive but a chocoholic's delight.

Room Tip: Choose the Ocean view rooms which afford a lovely view of the Indian ocean, Galle face Green and the...
1  Thank SanjeevM777

Dear SanjeevM777,

Hilton Colombo is honoured to be your preferred hotel in Colombo!

My team and I thank you very much for letting us know what makes our hotel your favourite, from our convenient location, service and facilities to our restaurants and our chocolate cakes! Your special mention of our team members is truly appreciated and encourages all of us to continue delivering the Hilton quality service to our guests.

Whilst we are glad that you were generally comfortable in our guest room, we also appreciate your feedback and insights. We hope to start the refurbishments of our guest rooms in the near future and in the meantime, will be receiving our first shipment of new appliances, furnitures and equipments soon.

Your continued patronage is of great value to us and as always, it is our pleasure to welcome you back to your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have been to many sports centers and gyms across Colombo, and I have to say this is the worst of the lot. To think Hilton would have a somewhat acceptable service, not only are their prices a complete rip off but their service is the worst I have come across!
Last month my visit to Hilton sports center was and will be my last.
Last month I went in for tennis and being a sports center member was asked to pay up Rs.1800 for an hour! which is ridiculous. However I paid since i had come for tennis, an hour and five mins later I was asked to stop and was told by the staff 'if you continue anymore we will charge you for an extra half an hour' so we abruptly stopped our game even though there was no one waiting to play play after us, only to be confronted by two other staff members to pay up for the extra half an hour for the 5 mins we took up! When I tried explaining that it was only five mins extra we took up I was told 'I don't care you have to pay for half-an hour! This is not the kind of service you would expect from any sports center leave alone 5 star sports center.
I have been a member for two years and in that time the service has gone from bad to worst, I have had similar experiences previously and this was the final nail in the coffin.
And one other thing, in the time I have used the sports center facility I have never received a receipt for any payments I make.
I'm a HH member and have used Hilton hotels in the Middle East, Europe, Australia and Malaysia, the service has always been exceptional but the service in Hilton Colombo has been completely appalling.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My second visit to Colombo and I was again very happy with my decision to stay at the Hilton.
The staff in the Executive Lounge are great as are those who work in Spices for breakfast. Kashmira always greeted us with a smile and was very welcoming. A great start to my day for the two weeks I was there. Thank you!

Room Tip: Rooms overlook the port or the sea. I prefer the rooms that overlook the sea.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Heather_Mendis, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Jason B,

My team and I were delighted to welcome you back to Hilton Colombo! Thank you for once again sharing your wonderful experience with Tripadvisor, especially of the Sri Lankan hospitality you received during your stay. It is great to know that you felt very much at home and well-taken care of during your two weeks with us. We look forward to seeing you again and as always, continue to be at your service.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

When you dine at the Hilton Colombo, beware, your plate of food may be snatched away by a waiter stating that you have picked food from a counter which you are not entitled to. We had a bitter experience on 28th May 2013 at the Spices, Hilton Colombo. We had chosen Indian fare for break fast and picked food from the Indian corner. A waiter came up to my wife and told her that she had taken food that was not Indian. So, she had give away her plate, the waiter was more than eager to take it away. The manager could do very little to sort out the problem, He only mouthed a few words of apology. We are vegetarians and are very careful while dining outside India. We double check before picking any food in a buffet. Whatever we did at Spice was on the advice of the staff .Suffering from this insult and embarrassment we had little choice but to leave the restaurant without breakfast and also paid for it. Such is the Hilton Service, you will be embarrassed and put to shame by waiters and restaurant managers for no fault of yours!!!

Room Tip: Careful when you dine at any of the restaurants. Possibly order room service.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Heather_Mendis, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Murali V,

Please accept once again my personal apologies for the very unpleasant service you experienced at Spices Restaurant.

As you know from our correspondence with you, we have investigated your case at length and we have, without question, taken positive steps forward to immediately improve and avoid similar incidents in the future. I have discussed this with all team members involved and wholeheartedly agree that a professional attitude and reliability are integral to the delivery of excellent service.

As we have already brought this matter to a satisfactory conclusion, we wish to reassure you of our continuous dedication and commitment to upholding the high service standards synonymous with the Hilton name.

My team and I sincerely hope that we might have another opportunity to restore your confidence with a better experience at Hilton Colombo.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Those of you who follow me will know that I'm trying one hotel after the other in Colombo. No, I'm not a professional hotel testing person or travel agent – I’m just an engineer who enjoys good service when he travels! And good service is to me the main reason why I would at anytime go back to the Hilton. Yes, the room furniture is of course mega outdated, the bathrooms are like at a Novotel in Eastern Europe in 1998 (functional but certainly not close to a 5* Hotel), but: the service and the location make all the difference! Via this post I like to thank all the staff at the Hilton for being so hospitable and making me feel so good! And if you get tired of the excellent hotel food just walk 5 minutes and you are at the Old Dutch Hospital area with all its restaurants. And if you hear all the rumors that the Hilton will close tomorrow to be completely refurbished – don’t believe them! Go and stay there NOW when the prices are still affordable and let’s wait and see what will happen. Depending on what you want – the Hilton is for me the only serious competition to the Cinnamon Lakeside for the choosy business traveler.

Dear rolofromaustria,

It is a great pleasure for us to be your hotel of choice in Colombo! You have certainly rewarded my team with your warm feedback on their outstanding service, which made you feel comfortable and well-looked after during your stay. My team extend their thanks and appreciation for your kind review and as always, remain at your service.