“Disappointed to say the least .....”
Review of Hilton Colombo

Hilton Colombo
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed to say the least .....”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The last time I reviewed this hotel I gave it a glowing, well deserved review. However, it has been appoximately eighteen months since I stayed at the Hilton Colombo and the changes are significant - not for the better I may add. I understand that the hotel has new owners and it shows. The hotel itself is shabby and the carpets in the lobby are badly stained. There were no slippers or dressing gowns in the room and the bedroom definitely needed refurbishment. The drivers and concierge provided an excellent service but were let down but the other staff which included one young lady on the front desk. I was travelling with a Sri Lankan lady and when we came to check out we asked to split the bill. For example there were items on the overall bill, such as hairdressing, that needed to be assigned individually. The young lady on the front desk became totally confused and it was apparent to me that she did not know what she was doing. When I pointed out that we had a car waiting outside to take us to the airport and a flight to catch, she just took her time. My travelling companion pointed out to me, 'that you do not tell a Sri Lankan to hurry up because they will just take their time even more'. As time was passing quickly we just grabbed the bill and ran to the car. If it hadn't been for the excellent driving skills of the driver we would have missed the flight. I still don't know if the bill is correct because every time I phone the Hilton to enquire they just put me off and say they don't have the records available. I have stayed at several Hilton Hotels around the world and I am extremely sad to see how the Hilton Hotel, Colombo has gone down as a five star hotel. I am sure with a few tweeks, retraining and refurbishment it could get it's former glory back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Rudolf_Troestler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear dogwalker2011,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your recent disappointing experience with us. Unfortunately, what you experienced certainly is not typical of the Hilton quality service that we always endeavour to achieve.

With regard to your billing, we would very much like to receive more information from you to successfully resolve this. Please contact our Director of Operations Oriol Marquez directly at oriol.marquez@hilton.com. He would be happy to assist you on all your requirements to the best of his abilities.

We are indeed expected to undergo extensive hotel renovations soon and very much look forward to presenting a brand new experience to you and all our guests. The team also continues to work hard to uphold the delivery of the best personalised service and stay experience that all our valued guests deserve.

Thank you for your continued patronage of Hilton Colombo. We look forward to seeing you again and to delivering a better stay experience to you when you next return.

Rudolf Troestler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Dominica
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Arrived at the Hilton after a long day trip to Kandy. The staff was wonderful from the moment I arrived which started with welcome drink. I had called while on the way from Kandy as I was going to doing a later than 4 pm check-in. During the conversation, the front desk staff changed my room from twin bed to king. This gave me a room with an ocean view. the time of my stay was a hectic time of the year as I arrived on 30 Dec and stay a couple day after the New Year.
However, with the except of the Thorana Lounge, the staffing was limited for the amount of traffic that was in the lounge, thus service was slow each time I visited. The one night I stopped in Thorana to listen to the evening music and wanted a night...Tia Maria (listed on the bar menu) was not available. I was a bit disappointed and left to my room.
I attended the Silver Ball on New Year's Eve... had a great time. The food was good and both bands played a wonderful mix of dance music. The lobby was always with filled with holiday sounds, decorations which was nice to see. My room was average with the exception of the ocean view, my housekeeper was great and friendly. My favorite meal was the sushi in Ginza Hohsen and sweet treat was the ribbon cake from pastry shop

I am loyal Hilton guest all over the world. I will say it is time for the property to do some refurbishment especially of the room/bathroom. The rate was a bit on the high side, but is was als0 peak season in Sri Lanka and the holidays.

Overall, I had good stay and bravo the all the various staff members who I interacted with for providing me great service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with an ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear tangerinegirl,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with Hilton Colombo, it is always a pleasure to receive insightful feedback from our valued guests. It is also wonderful to know that you enjoyed the festive season with us and had a great time at the Silver Ball.

I am pleased to learn that my very capable team made you feel well-taken care of even before you arrived at the hotel and through your stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the views from the room, the sushi at Ginza Hohsen and our cakes. However, we sincerely apologise for the lapse in service that you experienced at the Thorana Lounge, which the team have promptly addressed to ensure that their service delivery remains at all times professional and efficient.

We have also taken note of your feedback on our room and bathroom, which will soon undergo a major facelift when the hotel's extensive renovations begin in a few months.

Thank you for being a valued guest with Hilton hotels, we hope that you will stay with us again in the future when Hilton Colombo is revitalised. We look forward to welcoming you back and presenting a brand new experience to you.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Staff here are excellent and food was the great in all the restaurants within hotel. We were upgraded to a deluxe room with beautiful views of the sea, lake and State Secretariat building.

Rooms however need a major refurbishment. Rooms and corridors still had a lingering smoke smell.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Rudolf_Troestler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear sns9507,

My team and I are very pleased that you enjoyed a delightful experience during your recent stay at Hilton Colombo.

It is wonderful to know that you were happy with the food in our restaurants and the lovely views from the guest room. We will soon undergo extensive renovations on the guest rooms, premises and facilities, which will certainly take care of the issue you have brought up.

We hope to have you with us again in the revitalised Hilton Colombo, it will be our pleasure to welcome you back and present a brand new experience to you.

Lund, Sweden
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Probably the best food we had during our stay in SL. Excellent. However money was missing from purse from last day. Discovered on the way to the airport. Don't leave money in the room. Don't use the safe, well known master code to the safe. Keep your money on you all time! Extremley poor country. You will get ripped if you leave it around. 50 EURO basic monthly salary says all...
Anyway I made my dontation to this country.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rudolf_Troestler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Pontus P,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hilton Colombo, it was a pleasure having you with us.

Whilst we are delighted to receive your compliments of our food, we sincerely regret that your experience was affected by the unfortunate circumstance of your missing money. I understand the distress this has caused you and wish to assure you that all our team members are dedicated not only to ensuring the well-being of all our guests, but also to upholding the high standards and integrity of the hotel. In addition to the safes in all our guest rooms, we have safes available at Reception and all valuables kept there are meticulously logged.

We thank you again for your feedback and hope to have another opportunity to delight you with a better stay experience. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back should you return to Sri Lanka and choose to stay with us again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We arrived to the Hilton after a long three days in India, and the Hilton was just what we needed!!! The airport pickup was waiting with water and cool wash clothes, check in was flawless even though it was almost mid-night. The room was OK, but it needs to be updated. The location was perfect, the Dutch Hospital was right across the street which was a great place to go for lunch or dinner. We were able to organize day trips around the city and also transport to and from the beach. Highly recommend this as a place to stay in Colombo. The staff was exceptionally kind, attentive and knowledgeable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TravelingTeacher_15,

It is wonderful for my team and I to receive your delightful review of your recent stay at Hilton Colombo.

Thank you for your warm feedback on your experience with us, it is very rewarding for the team to realise that their level of hospitality and service was a highlight of your enjoyable stay.

We truly appreciate your reommendation of the hotel and hope to welcome you back in the future. Thank you very much for staying with us.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We arrived in Colombo early and the staff let us check in at 11am without even questioning our booking. The room itself is quite old, but still good. Unfortunately the toilet was pretty bad, the fan and the hairdryer doesn't work; the shower is also desperately in need of replacement as it's over 20 years old. Good points; the view across Colombo onto Galle Face is stunning and the location of the hotel is right in the middle of Fort, arguably one of the nicest areas of Colombo for exploring. The only problem with the location is that tuk tuk drivers will pester you the minute you leave the hotel compound desperate to drive you around, no fault of the hotel of course, but be wary as you probably don't need a tuk tuk to get around Colombo 01. It's 5 minutes walking distance to the Royal Dutch Hospital shopping area, so you can enjoy the location straight away without need for a cab. The hotel has a decent pool, spa and gym, but it's quite some distance away from the main complex of the hotel, quite strange as you have to take a bridge over a main road to get there; but no complaints again about the amenities themselves. The staff are excellent. Always eager to help and polite, we noticed not only the reception staff but the people around the lobby are always willing to help. Had the room I was in (613) had a better bathroom, I would've been more than happy to score a five. Will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a new bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear majicka,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hilton Colombo, it was a pleasure having you with us.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the great views from the room and exploring around the hotel's neighbourhood. You will be glad to know that the hotel will soon undergo extensive renovations, which we are certain will address some of the points you have brought up regarding the room and bathroom. We are nevertheless glad that you felt well-looked after by the team, who always do their utmost to ensure the comfort and well-being of all our valued guests.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to presenting a brand new experience in the future and delighting you with the best Hilton hospitality experience that we always seek to deliver.

Las Palmas
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We were here for a couple of nights over the new years period. The place is old ('established' is perhaps a better term) and in need of a refit, but the people of this establishment are truly outstanding. Despite arriving at 8am expecting to dump our bags and walk into town, we were offered our room and invited to breakfast! I couldn't believe it. It was amazing. We were offered all sorts of bits and pieces (a man came to our room with flowers for the drawing table, another with a mango and utensils) and the resturant food was great. The downside was the relatively aging room decor, but the beds and sheets were new and brilliant white. Will return if we come back to Colombo.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rudolf_Troestler, General Manager at Hilton Colombo, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear James_in_LPdeGC,

Thank you for your kind review of Hilton Colombo, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the New Year celebrations with us.

Whilst we understand your insights regarding the room decor, it is very rewarding for the team to realise that their service highlighted your overall stay experience. We truly appreciate your feedback. You will be glad to know that the hotel will soon undergo extensive renovations on the guest rooms, premises and facilities.

We certainly invite you to stay in the revitalised Hilton Colombo once the renovations are complete. It will be our pleasure to present a brand new experience and delighting you with the best Hilton hospitality experience that we always seek to deliver.