I frequently visit Colombo on official matters and the first time I visited I had also taken my family alongwith me. We put up at the Taj Samudra, Colombo and the experience was very beyond my expectation. We stayed for a week in the Hotel. I had to go for my official meetings for the first two days and my pregnant wife & daughter spent time in the hotel. The staff was extremely courteous and very accomodative. Everybody from the reception to the bellboys and the room cleaners had a smile on their face and very prompt in their responses.
We were staying in one of the Sea Facing Executive Suites on the sixth floor and the view from the open balcony was one of the best postcard views ever. We were offered flowers and a wine bottle on arriving at the hotel. The Taj Samudra is parallel to the shoreline (walking path) unlike the other Galle Face Road hotels. Its got the BEST VIEW. Opt for the sea facing balcony suites. Having tea/ coffee in the gallery while u hear the waves splash and staring into the horizon gives you a sense of tranquility and much needed calm. Also the Taj is placed in a high security zone with the army check posts positioned every 500 mts, so also makes it one of the most guarded places in the war stricken nation.
The Hotel Lobby is also tastefully done and there is an array of wine n alcohol bottles very smartly arranged.
The rooms also seemed to have been recently done up what with the wooden flooring and the glass panelled bathrooms. We had a 32" LCD, an electric kettle, a fridge and internet facility in the room. Room service is prompt and all the toiletries provided were of the Forest Essentials premium range.
The breakfast spread would be exhaustive with food to cater to all your taste buds. The restaurants in the hotel were also class apart and the quantity of the food provided was quiet ample in sharp contrast to other Indian Five star hotels. I would recommend the Prawns Biryani at Navratna and also the Chinese Fares at the Golden Dragon. Also the steaks at the grill house are mouth watering and you need to really build an appetite before placing your order. The pricing isnt too high considering the quantity offered.There are happy hours in the lounge and there is a band playing on certain days of the week. The gym is also well equipped and the swimming pool is also well maintained, except that it was very hectic trip for me to indulge in the gym or the swimming pool. Also on every friday night, one of the restaurants host a Sea Food night wherein you can pick the fish of your choice and will be prepared right in front of your eyes. Also the whole decoration of the Sea Food fest is very beautiful complete with fishing nets and Sea Shells.
I must make a special mention of the maitre d' at the breakfast tables. The lady was kind enough to offer to on her own and even did pack some bananas and apples and also some muffins for my wife and child on knowing that they were going out shopping advising not to eat much of oil fried snacks. Such personal touchs made our stay at the Taj Samudra a very memorable one.
While in Colombo, shopping at Odel makes sense. Its a department store. Clothing is priced very resonably and accessories, etc are worth a look. As tourists, its advisable not to roam around freely and the army are entiltled to stop your vehicle for enquiries. We were advised to always carry our passports for identification all the time but at the Taj they had also provided us with an electronic safe in our room; so we had kept our passports in the safe and would carry the Hotel card with all the neccessary information details lest somebody asked.
All in all the trip was quiet successful, enjoyable and very memorable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Taj Samudra Colombo is located in the heart of the Colombo city, overlooking the azure waters of the Indian Ocean. The most stylish Executive category rooms are by far the best in design and comfort in the city of Colombo. Taj Samudra offers the following choice of food & beverage outlets - Latitude - all day dining restaurant serving Buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and a a choice of la carte specialties Navratna - Specialty Indian Restaurant catering to North Indian flavors Golden Dragon - Authentic Chinese Cuisine with a specialty in Sichuan Cuisine, YUMI - Japanese resto bar with live entertainment from Thursday through Saturday,live sports and best of live entertainment over weekends, Lobby Lounge - Unwind over a snack, dessert or a quiet drink. In Room Dining - 24 hour room service Keeping in line with the changing times, Taj Samudra retains the colonial charm, heritage value, sense of space, privacy and luxuries for our esteemed guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, DerbySoftTaj, Booking.com, Priceline, Prestigia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, getaroom.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Taj Samudra Colombo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Samudra Colombo Hotel Colombo
- Taj Samudra Hotel Colombo
- Colombo Taj Samudra Hotel