“Memorable! But could have been better.”

Taj Samudra Colombo
Ranked #10 of 55 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The service at the Taj was, as usual, impeccable. Everyone was extremely courteous and went out of their way to make sure our stay was a pleasant one. Despite booking a city view room, we were given a ocean view room which gave us a pretty good view of the water, albeit from first floor. We were also surprised several times with the addition of complimentary desserts when ordering room service and very sweetly organised a cake for me and my husband when they learnt that it was our anniversary.

However, I would like to add that the room we stayed in at the hotel was disappointing. It wasn't in keeping with our expectations of the Taj. The TV was ancient and the furnishings in the room were bordering on tacky. It was overall not what you would expect from a luxury 5 star hotel like the Taj. Also the Spa area (if you could call it that) was just a poor extension of the gym in the hotel. I had booked a massage and although the massage and the service was wonderful, the spa area was a big disappointment. The whole area was almost dingy to a point and shared a wall with the hotel squash court, which while it was occupied, didn't exactly put one at peace.

Room Tip: Definitely try and get a room on floors 4 and above. The rooms on floors 1 to 3 are a bit of disappo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,342)

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is yet another Fine property from TAJ Hotels. situated near posh sea side area of Colombo very near to Indian embassy. lovely property. Good rooms. very good food and of course its a premium and happening property.
We liked the property very much and had a great stay here and must try its coffee shop to have good quick bites and coffee.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I tried to contact the hotel in advance to ask for a guaranteed early check in at 8 AM. I did not receive any answer. After trying again I received two e-mails: one staff member offered me the room for 50% of the room rate, the other offered me the early check in for free. With the print of the e-mail I indeed was allowed to check in early without extra charges.

Upon arrival I was welcomed by a lot of staff members. A bit confusing. But soon I learned the staff is actually very well trained.

I booked an executive room with club access. A room type which you can still book on the Taj internet site, but also a room type which does not exist anymore. At booking.com you will find more reliable info about the room types. I was escorted to a smelly non renovated 'luxe seaview' room. After one hour I finally agreed on paying USD 20,00 extra to get a newly renovated club room. I was tiered, the staff made me tiered. To be honest, they offered me a to use the buffet breakfast while waiting for a solution.

The new club room is up to international standard. Nice view, good modern design, spacious, comfortable bed. But the quality of the finishing was poor. When using the shower, the bathroom floor turned wet. Renovation might be needed very soon again. Still it may be the best room in town at this moment.

WIFI was for free, but the connection was very slow. IT staff asked for feedback. I wish I had never given it. After too many thanks for my feedback the problem still had to be with my own devices since they had installed a brand new system.

I had dinner with my wife in the hotel restaurant. Quality was fine. But why were we disturbed by four members of staff to ask if we were satisfied? The worst one being a member of the hotel sales team (!). At each occasion everybody asked if their services were fine and if we please would mention their names on the feedback form. Furthermore they had the tendency to wait just a bit too long after I gave the answer (in order to get tips?). I experienced this attitude in Indian hotels. I hate it and I hope it stays out wonderful and kind Sri Lanka.

I liked the clean warm swimming pool. Much larger than expected.
I disliked the club. Too formal for me. Too many staff members following your every step. The waiter will serve you with some snacks. No freedom of choice, not knowing what will come next. Not relaxed, quit indiscreet.

Location is perfect. Seaview. Galle Face. Walking distance to Fort. Many transportation options available at your doorstep. Next door the building activities in are full swing: Hilton and Galle Face hotels in renovation; Shangri-La and ITC (Sheraton) to be built. The hotel landscape will change rapidly. The Hyatt Regency probably the first big international hotel to open.

Competition will increase. I hope the Taj attitude will change. If not, I will be very happy to stay in a more discreet hotel with more eye for honest hospitality. My compliments go out to Allan from concierge. He was the only staff member giving me useful information without any hidden agenda. So he was the only one who received a tip and a quotation on the feedback form.

Room Tip: Be sure in advance that you will get a renovated room. Other room types not worth the money.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KeesE
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We booked in for 2 nights at the Taj Samudra in Columbo at the end of a wonderful holiday around the Indian Ocean. This is a great hotel and all the staff without exception were happy, considerate and always there to help and greet you.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view for one of the best sunsets
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Had a very nice stay in Taj Samudra. The food and stay were very relishing. It is very near to the beach where you can spend your evening. Swimming is very fine. It is located centrally and the therefore you can enjoy marketing etc.Visited officially in June/July 2006.

Room Tip: Very good for stay.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were officially invited for this Conference. Conference was very well arranged. Hotel staff was good but requires some more training to be attentive for guest needs. Food was good. However overall conference was great.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

i was impressed by the grandness of the place - everything was expansive. staff were super friendly and accommodating. since we went in december (wedding month) we had the bonus of seeing all the brides in their elaborate costumes. downside is that internet is not good at all and quite expensive - it's not included in the room package. choose a room facing the indian ocean and higher floors and away from the elevator. a lot of flights in and out of colombo during the night so the elevator area is quite busy.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business