I read the reviews on this hotel and the Hilton and decided to try my luck at the Taj because I had good luck with them in India. I arrived at the hotel and found it to have a great lobby with restaurant, shops etc Everything looked great. The staff checked me in quickly and the bellman took me to the room. It was a great sold 4 star room with a balcony and view of the ocean. I was impressed and very happy. So I gave the bellman a big tip and begin unpacking for a 3 night stay. Then I pulled down the bedspread on the king size bed and was SHOCKED at what I saw: a large brown stain on the sheet where the last user obviously sat on the bed naked without cleaning his/her bottom adequately and used the sheet as toilet paper. This upset me terribly because I remember from the reviews that this happened to another poster so to me it immediately because apparent that this hotel made a practice of not changing sheets between users. So I called the front desk and complained. They immediately sent up housekeeping who looked at the fudge smudge, sincerely apologized, and quickly changed the bed sheet. They asked if there was anything else and I told them to change the pillow cases also which they did and left. Then as I walked around the room I saw that there were towels in the bathroom that I forgot to ask them to change and the glassware. So I made sure that I threw all the towels on the floor that night and dirtied the glasses so they would all be changed the next day. Everything in the room was now suspect to me and to tell the truth it put a real damper on my stay there.
I ate in the restaurant at the buffet one night and it was great but the next day I ate in the restaurant and it took the water 30 minutes (I timed it) to bring me a simple menu item.
There is a beautiful medium sized pool which I went down to for an afternoon swim but it was crowded and there were three couples in it with their naked babies who were no more than one year old. They were having fun splashing around with these babies but the fact that they were babies but the fact that they had no protective covering on their bottoms made me reconsider going into the pool. So looking at this I decided not to go into the pool for the length of my stay.
The location of the hotel is about 2 kilometers from the Hilton and it is across the street from the ocean. There are tuk tuks and taxis at the hotel which will take you anywhere dirt cheap. As for Colombo there are armed guards everywhere and antiaircraft guns placed along the waterfront. It was a little disconcerting even though I did not experience any trouble.
One of my highlights of the stay was having high tea at the Galle Face Hotel which is right across the street from the Taj on the water. The tea costs all of about $5 and includes a large buffet on a water front patio. You can sit there looking at the Indian Ocean eating curies, sweets, and enjoying local tea. The staff at this tea were all very accommodating and friendly. It was the best part of staying at the Taj.
So the bottom line is that my experience like that of another poster with the soiled bed sheet really ruined my experience at the Taj. Also I visited the Hilton on several occasions and had tea in their lobby and liked it much better than the Taj. So for these reasons I would not recommend the Taj and if I went back I would stay at the Hilton.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Taj Samudra Colombo is located in the heart of the Colombo city, overlooking the azure waters of the Indian Ocean. The most stylish Executive category rooms are by far the best in design and comfort in the city of Colombo. Taj Samudra offers the following choice of food & beverage outlets - Latitude - all day dining restaurant serving Buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and a a choice of la carte specialties Navratna - Specialty Indian Restaurant catering to North Indian flavors Golden Dragon - Authentic Chinese Cuisine with a specialty in Sichuan Cuisine, YUMI - Japanese resto bar with live entertainment from Thursday through Saturday,live sports and best of live entertainment over weekends, Lobby Lounge - Unwind over a snack, dessert or a quiet drink. In Room Dining - 24 hour room service Keeping in line with the changing times, Taj Samudra retains the colonial charm, heritage value, sense of space, privacy and luxuries for our esteemed guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Taj Samudra Colombo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Samudra Colombo Hotel Colombo
- Taj Samudra Hotel Colombo
- Colombo Taj Samudra Hotel