“Good value, basic rooms”

Taj Samudra Colombo
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Colombo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Malibu, California
Reviewed April 23, 2008

I read the reviews on this hotel and the Hilton and decided to try my luck at the Taj because I had good luck with them in India. I arrived at the hotel and found it to have a great lobby with restaurant, shops etc Everything looked great. The staff checked me in quickly and the bellman took me to the room. It was a great sold 4 star room with a balcony and view of the ocean. I was impressed and very happy. So I gave the bellman a big tip and begin unpacking for a 3 night stay. Then I pulled down the bedspread on the king size bed and was SHOCKED at what I saw: a large brown stain on the sheet where the last user obviously sat on the bed naked without cleaning his/her bottom adequately and used the sheet as toilet paper. This upset me terribly because I remember from the reviews that this happened to another poster so to me it immediately because apparent that this hotel made a practice of not changing sheets between users. So I called the front desk and complained. They immediately sent up housekeeping who looked at the fudge smudge, sincerely apologized, and quickly changed the bed sheet. They asked if there was anything else and I told them to change the pillow cases also which they did and left. Then as I walked around the room I saw that there were towels in the bathroom that I forgot to ask them to change and the glassware. So I made sure that I threw all the towels on the floor that night and dirtied the glasses so they would all be changed the next day. Everything in the room was now suspect to me and to tell the truth it put a real damper on my stay there.
I ate in the restaurant at the buffet one night and it was great but the next day I ate in the restaurant and it took the water 30 minutes (I timed it) to bring me a simple menu item.
There is a beautiful medium sized pool which I went down to for an afternoon swim but it was crowded and there were three couples in it with their naked babies who were no more than one year old. They were having fun splashing around with these babies but the fact that they were babies but the fact that they had no protective covering on their bottoms made me reconsider going into the pool. So looking at this I decided not to go into the pool for the length of my stay.

The location of the hotel is about 2 kilometers from the Hilton and it is across the street from the ocean. There are tuk tuks and taxis at the hotel which will take you anywhere dirt cheap. As for Colombo there are armed guards everywhere and antiaircraft guns placed along the waterfront. It was a little disconcerting even though I did not experience any trouble.

One of my highlights of the stay was having high tea at the Galle Face Hotel which is right across the street from the Taj on the water. The tea costs all of about $5 and includes a large buffet on a water front patio. You can sit there looking at the Indian Ocean eating curies, sweets, and enjoying local tea. The staff at this tea were all very accommodating and friendly. It was the best part of staying at the Taj.

So the bottom line is that my experience like that of another poster with the soiled bed sheet really ruined my experience at the Taj. Also I visited the Hilton on several occasions and had tea in their lobby and liked it much better than the Taj. So for these reasons I would not recommend the Taj and if I went back I would stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Taniquan
Taj_Samudra_Hotel, Director Of Sales at Taj Samudra Colombo, responded to this review, November 24, 2008
Dear Sir,

Greetings from Taj Samudra Colombo.

We thank you for your feedback and value your patronage very much.

We absolutely understand your opinion and stance. We did take this concern seriously and we have ensured that a checklist towards room cleaning is maintianed.

Please be assured that we maintain highest quality standards and will ensure that such lapses do not occur in the future.

Please do write to us on my email id and let us know on any improvements that we may make to ensure a comfortable and pleasant experience for you, our esteemed patron.

Assuring you of our best services at all times

Fax No. 0094-11-2437208
Web Address : www.tajhotels.com
Washington DC
Reviewed March 1, 2008

This hotel is great. View out of this world. Staff very professional. We purchsed sapphires from the store in the hotel arcade. Had everything checked when we got home and the stones were even better than we had been told. Great location and we even got to watch a beautiful wedding. Hope to return. We also stayed at the Taj in Mumbai and it was also fantanstic.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2008

We stayed at the Taj on the first leg of our tour of Sri Lanka as part of our Honeymoon. Although it was only for two nights the stay was very pleasant.

We had a room on the 6th Floor – which was the ‘business floor’ after a small upgrade as part of the honeymoon. It was a very nice clean room with a sea facing view with all the amenities you would expect. There was also a private breakfast room for the exclusive use of the floor residents which was Ok if you wanted a bit of privacy.

The hotel staff were excellent and the hotel had everything required, The food was very good whether eating in the buffet or a la carte in the main restaurant. There were also some additional restaurants in the annex which we never got the opportunity to use as well as some shops etc. and also a large Chinese restaurant the bar was very good and did have some entertainment during our short stay. There is a nice pool – very warm water as I remember and a spa, gym and squash court if you have the energy.

We only had time for a small excursion around the sights of Colombo and a shopping expedition around the main local area. But we did get over the road to the Galle Fort Hotel for cocktails overlooking the sea which was worth the walk.

Interesting overhearing the hotel manager in the lift, discussing why the England cricket team wouldn’t stay there as it was too near the military base (next door) and they had concerns with regard to terrorism. Strange as it’s probably the safest place to be.

• Liked — Good Food
  • Disliked — No local activities within easy distance
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2008

We stayed here for 1 night - 24th December in an executive sea facing suite , included in our deal was a gala Christmas eve dinner. Unfortunatly i had taken ill with a "vomiting" bug during the flight and couldnt enjoy much of anything. However my husband enjoyed the food and thought it to be excellent. Staff were very conciderate of my needs both to get to my room as quickly as possible and later when i was able to eat a little -offer me tea and toast. The room was clean and comfortable with fresh bed linen and towels. It wasnt one of their refurbished suites but served its purpose. Had i been well i would have been disapointed after looking at the Taj web page and the executive sea view suite featured.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — bathroom was old and needed refubished
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Budapest
Reviewed November 22, 2007

We spent only one night in this great hotel. Our room was on the 6th floor, I liked the view from our window to the sea very much.
The breakfast was very rich and tasty.
We spent there only one night, but after breakfast we found the cleaning man in our room that made our check-out a bit complicated (he should have wait until we checked out)

• Liked — breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Thailand
Reviewed August 10, 2007

Taj Samadra in Colombo city gave me a new concept of awful hotel. 1st day i was here, i found a problem that my room was difficult to be opened. It took 5-10 minutes to unlock. When I went in the room, i smell something bad. I tried to find out the root cause of problem. I found that it caused by dirty, stingy and disgusting carpet. You can see a lot of fungus on it.
You do need to wear your footwear all the time when you walk in the room.
While network in this room was very terrible, signal is very slow that you can not call out via skype smoothly. Othewise you have to move around the room to find the good signal area.
Finally, service was in unacceptable level. In the evening of the first day i came. I can not unlock my door. I made a call to front office for their help. But I had to wait for another 30 minutes until they sent someone to open the door. Funny thing was their staff found the same problem like me. Anyway, if anyone'd like to prove my word, please call for room#668, you will get the new experience of your journey.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank choke
Dear Sir,

Greetings from Taj Samudra Colombo.

We thank you for your feedback and value your patronage very much.

The hotel has recently concluded its renovations and all rooms are brand new and upto international standards. The old rooms no longer exist and we showcase a brand new renovated product to our customers.

The hotel is Wi Fi enabled across all rooms and the signal strength has been improvised so as to ensure high connectivity and speed to the Internet.

Assuring you of our best services at all times