“Great Location, very good service”

Taj Samudra Colombo
Ranked #9 of 55 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The location overlooking the Galle face sea front is fabulous. The sea facing rooms offer lovely views of the sea.
The staff is very polite and takes care of every need. The house keeping staff is very efficient.
The breakfast and the food at the chinese restaurant great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ashishvanand
Write a ReviewReviews (2,300)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

During our recent trip to Sri Lanka, we decided to book Taj for 2 nights. We were a group of 6 & had booked 2 rooms with triple occupancy, the rooms provided to us were big & with comfortable beds [yes the quality of beds do make a lot of difference :) ]. The staff at the reception were extremely helpful & friendly. Check-in & check-out was very smooth. The property is very old but at a prime location, it is going thorough a renovation until Oct 2013 so its a little noisy, but the same was informed when we got our booking confirmation.

The downside of it - "Ramani Fernando Salon", I have no clue why are her salons so hyped in SL !!?? ALL her staff are still trainees & have no clue what they are doing, if you plan to go for a hair-cut /pedicure / make-up or a blow-dry I suggest you go somewhere else !! Trust me all are clueless and inefficient. Thanks to her staff my day was screwed up sp. when I had a wedding to attend on that very day !!

Leaving apart that fact we all had a great time !!

Room Tip: Do go in for a Sea facing room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2013

stayed for 1 night in february 13 to attend the full moon festival in Columbo. Had a deal that included b & B and Dinner. Also got wine and fruit on arrival and they offered free tickets to seating at the festival ( anybody doing to columbo in february must time it to be at the full moon festival it was fabulous).
Our stay was really great. Lovely room. fabulous service, great food. My daughter was ill and they arranged a dr to visit.. Nothing was too much trouble and although also stayed 2 nights at Galle Face which was also wonderful I think the Taj which is across the road tipped it at the post.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2013

From the moment we got out of our car - our experience was first class. Check in was a breeze then we were shown to our room. Good size room on the third floor overlooking the Galle Road and the sea front. Had trouble logging on to the free Wi-fi so I called the Wi-fi butler who was in my room within 5 mins then got me connected.

Afternoon tea and cake downstairs was a delight sat by the window.- nice afternoon.

Visited the bar and the Indian restaurant in the evening which was great.

Ordered room service at 08:00 shortly before we had to check out, BLT with fries and some danish pastries. Delivered to our room so fast, piping hot.

Wish I had stayed here longer instead of where I did - oh well. Lovely hotel

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at Taj for three days during our recent trip to Sri Lanka. The staff always smiled and showed their attention all the time. They were polite and made us feel welcome and very polite.
They knew it was my birthday and gave me surprise with a beautiful bouquet, cake and a handwritten card.
The food was amazing and I loved the Indian section the most. The staff was very attentive and courteous.
The room was nice but it would be lovely if we were upgraded to executive 5th floor, as we paid total of £564 for three days stay. That is a bit of a disappointment after after all.
Well, we hope next time we will get a better deal worth for our money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stunning view of the Indian Ocean - is the first thing that I will say anytime anyone asks me about how is it to stay at Taj Samudra. Ofcourse you’ll have to ask for an ocean view room to enjoy the same. But worry not, they have plenty of those so you can easily get it unless the hotel is running full.

Now the details: the lobby of the hotel is well done, brightly lit up and the check-in process is smooth with efficient front office staff that is anyway so expected out of Taj. The rooms are well done – I think parts of the hotel were going through a renovation process. I thankfully had an already renovated room. The bed was comfortable, TV had enough channels to keep me entertained and the bathroom was clean, but the cherry was definitely the view from the room. An entire glass wall that overlooks the road and beyond it the sea. It’s a sight that wakes you up with a smile in the morning.

The hotel has quite a few restaurants and a lively discotheque. The 24 hour coffee shop offers a wide range of eating options and serves a well laid out buffet in the mornings. The spa however is a little disappointing and majorly needs a revamp. The hotel definitely shows its age but Taj is trying to give it a facelift as and when and wherever required.

I would also like to mention that I was on an official trip when I stayed here and had misplaced the bill after returning. I had to submit the bills in my office and the staff was quite efficient in responding to my email and immediately sent me a duplicate copy.

Room Tip: Sea view room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2013

For my two nights stay I had booked a deluxe room and was upgraded to the executive 5th floor. The rooms on this floor have been renovated. I have stayed in this hotel on earlier occasions on other floors and the rooms have been disappointing and in urgent need of renovation. I understand from the hotel staff that two more floors have been taken up for renovation. Inspite of the renovation the furniture does not give you the feel of a five star hotel. They have however finally upgraded the antique TV sets to a flat screen but the screen size could have been larger. This time I was provided with a city facing room. The sea facing rooms are nicer with a wonderful view of the sea. The hotel location is fantastic as you just have to cross the road to go to the sea front. If you are a walking or jogging enthusiast, this is the hotel to stay as a beautiful walking promenade has been built along the sea and you can walk for about three kms either way hugging the sea coast. The hotel has four restaurants of which breakfast is served in the multi cuisine restaurant. The spread is great and the service efficient. Their Indian restaurant is probably the best in SriLanka. I found the food in the Chinese restaurant also to be very good. A very good buffet lunch and dinner is served in the multi cuisine restaurant. The overall service levels in the hotel are good with a very friendly staff. I must mention one of their managers Mr Gaurav Miglani, who has always been very helpful during my various stays at this hotel. Because of some tourist unfriendly Govt. rules on tariffs for five star hotels, all hotels in this category are highly overpriced as compared to other tourist friendly countries and the Taj is no exception.

Room Tip: Book a sea facing room on the executive floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Anahat, General Manager at Taj Samudra Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Taj Samudra!

Thank you for your detailed feedback of the overall experience you had with us at Taj Samudra Colombo. I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay. I am delighted to note that the unique view, location of our property and the dining experience at our restaurants have brought more value to your stay.

I have also noted your feedback with regard to our product and I too wish to inform you once again that we are embarking on a large scale renovation in this month and I am confident that the new look of the rooms, bathrooms, corridors and enhanced services would elevate the hotel to World Class Luxury Standards. I would like to invite you to come and stay with us post renovations to experience more of the true TAJ Hospitality.

Once again I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in giving us your comprehensive feedback of your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Samudra Colombo during your next visit to the Emerald Isle.

Warm regards,