“Spectacularly Good Indian Cuisine”
Review of Navratna

Navratna
Ranked #75 of 583 Restaurants in Colombo
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2014

It should come as no surprise that the Indian restaurant in the Taj Samudra would be good, but Navratna is even better than expected... and the fact that most of the other tables seemed to be Indian clientele is testament to that. The atmosphere is pleasant, with tasteful live sitar-and-tabla, and the service is attentive without being overbearing. But the food... oh the food... it is amazing. One of the best Indian meals I've ever had. And while I'm not Indian, I lived there for many years, so I know my muttar paneer from my dal makni. The dishes span both northern- and southern- Indian cuisines, with a nice mix of well-known and more obscure choices. The next day, my wife and I were already making plans for our next meal there.

There are newer reviews for Navratna

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Authentic and superb Indian food--enhanced by usage of Australian butter, Sri Lankan spices/condiments, and so on. And, great value for money ! The Indian "thali" ( platter ) gives you exposure to several Indian dishes and at very reasonable price!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Went to the Navratna for lunch before heading to the airport after a six day vacation in Sri Lanka. We were looking for good Indian food as my wife is a vegetarian and we have always had a great experience at Taj restaurants in India.

We were very suprised to find everything that we ordered at Navratna absolutely drowned in spices. The spices completely overwhelmed the taste of the vegetables and meat. By no means was the food meant for a sophisticated palate.

However, on the plus side, the service was impeccable, and once the staff realised that we were having difficulty with the spice levels, they got us plain curd.

The decor is really dated and needs a makeover. Quite boring and tired looking.

We will not be going back to the Navratna for sure.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Navratna is an excellent choice to be with business colleges to share Indian delicacies in the heart of Colombo. There is ample parking space. The welcome is warm & friendly. The menu has a wide array of delicacies to offer ranging from the north to the southern tip of India. The presentation of food is great which increases ones appetite & the ambiance is inviting. The aroma of the spicy soups tantalizes your inner soul & makes you crave to taste it. Once the 1st spoon has been tasted your taste buds run riot & force you to taste the next dish ordered. Try the Murg Gholi Shorba. The spices in the food make you gorge all you can stuff in & satisfies your entire soul. I recommend Paneer Tikka Adraki. I love this restaurant as it has a very professional approach towards regular customers.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

"NAVRATNA" a Indian Restaurant is best veg food available in Colombo. Hospitality of Mr.Chauhan (Head chef) never sign my life, he takes care for every guest personally.