“Should be ashamed of themselves”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colombo
Serenediva Colombo Transit
Ranked #29 of 150 Specialty Lodging in Colombo
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Had a reservation at this hotel confirmed a month in advance. When we arrived to check in we was told they could not find our reservation and the hotel was full. I showed front desk clerk named Gayan our confirmation email and he just laughed and walked off. He refused to give me his name and I only found it out through someone else. Gayan also refused to lend me a pen he was holding and couldn't care a less that we arrived to this hotel at midnight with nowhere to go. Shameful service and I strongly advise anyone to avoid this sham of a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Paul1966H
There are newer reviews for Serenediva Colombo Transit

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We booked this for 6 hrs before our early morning flight in 4th September. The room is decent. Free wifi works well. They hardly have good tv channels. You are stuck with very few options. Their website says basic toiletries provided but none was there. The receptionist can smile a little. He had a grumpy face when we arrived. All this said, book this hotel only if you are actually in between flights and not stepping out of the airport. If you have any plans of arriving the airport at night for an early morning flight and spending that time here, keep at least 3 hrs extra on hand. It is a pain to check in early and clear the immigration and reach the hotel. No one in the entire airport knows about this place including folks from srilankan airlines passenger help team...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Naveen2703
Reviewed September 6, 2013

With a 10.30pm arrival and a 6am departure staying at a hotel outside the airport was not going to be an option and as the thought of 7.5 hours kicking around the transit hall did not appeal this was the only viable choice.

Having read previous reviews I did not have great expectations but I was pleasantly surprised. Room was large and reasonably well appointed with decent bathroom and the bed was comfortable. Everything was very clean.

Now to the negatives. The aircon was noisy and relatively ineffective. However this actually turned out to be a blessing. There was a lot of noise from outside the room during the night, people talking, a phone constantly ringing, plates and crockery banging. It appears that while the SriLankan lounge is being refurbished they are using a temporary lounge within the transit hotel lobby and what should be a relatively quiet zone has become a high traffic area. So hopefully this will not be an ongoing problem. There was a tray with tea, coffee and milk in the room but a diligent search did not find a kettle. Out of curiosity when I checked out I asked and yes, my kettle was missing.... The bathroom did have a drain smell and yes, the ceiling is an office type grid ceiling that lets chinks of light through at night... interesting.!

So all fairly minor points. The huge convenience of walking straight off the plane and straight into an airside hotel room cannot be under estimated. At $55 for 6 hours I consider this relatively good value and not much more than some airlines charge for lounge access, let alone a hotel room (im thinking of you Alaskan Airlines). I would be happy to stay again in similar circumstances. Oh and the best news of all, Room 202 actually has a window.. !! :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank cmdsea
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for 12 hours and I must say that the room is really clean and comfortable, and the wifi worked very well. I also must say thank you to Kushan (the receiptionist) and the duty manager who were really helpful in helping us taking our luggage. They were our heroes. Great job and once again thank you!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kireinayoru
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Travelling with my wife & 2 children (7&9) and a layover for 7-8hrs in Colombo airport I had 3 options available.

1. Stay in Colombo airport & find a quiet, comfortable area & attempt to keep 2 kids occupied for 7-8hrs (a hard task in Colombo airport)
2. Head to Negombo to the beach (we planned to do this, but it was a rainy & windy day making the beach trip a hassle)
3. Stay in the transit hotel - the best option

I was not expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was big and came with free water, tea & coffee making facilities, wifi, room service menu, shower with bath tub & 30% off at the spa next door. For US$65 I thought it was worth it & beat hanging in the airport itself with 2 kids & carry on luggage looking for things to do for 7hrs. It's not a 5 star hotel by a long shot, but it made our long layover seem quicker & much more comfortable. The kids had a nap, we all had a shower, room service meal, played some games, watched a little TV (cartoons) my wife & I had a decent massage from the spa (US$22) & we all felt refreshed and ready for the next flight.

The room was a little musty, but it was clean, convenient & comfortable & I'd do it again if needed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Craig F
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I booked this transit hotel for our return flight from Europe, some weeks before travelling on our outward leg.
We arrived in Colombo on our outward journey so I thought I’d check the location of the hotel and check out the reception area. I’m glad that I did, because the receptionist couldn't find my booking! In the end I had to produce the e-mail with the booking reference number, after which everything fell in to place. If you use this hotel have your booking reference handy.

We arrived from Europe three weeks later, at 5.30 pm, so decided to make sure all was well. The booking was till in place, so we did not check-in at that time, but told the receptionist that we would be back around 8.00 pm, because we wanted a meal. Obviously, the later we checked–in the lower the overall cost. We did check-in around 8.30 pm and paid for the minimum of six hours ($55.00 USD), which took us to 2.30 am, followed by a further 3 hours at $15.00 US / hour to 5.30 am; our flight departed at 7.00 am.
The room (207) was an adequate size for two people. We only had our overnight bag as our suitcases had been tagged through to Bangkok – our final destination. The shower worked, but the hot water was a hit and miss affair – mainly a miss. The towels were on the thin side and small. I’m not particularly fat around the waist, but the towel only just wrapped around me, but I couldn't ‘link’ it to stop it falling down.
Our sleep was fitful – not sure if it was due to the travelling or the noise in the corridor outside our room (which was near reception). Splashes of light came through the ceiling from the rooms or work areas above. The hotel is run by Sri Lankan airline's catering division, so above us or near our room could have been the kitchens. Beside the wake up call at 4.45 am we were phoned again at 5.15 am to be aware that another hour would be charged at 5.30 am. We left at 5.25 am $100 USD lighter. As for breakfast, we waited until we were on the plane and consumed the food we’d heard being processed during our fitful sleep.
This transit hotel fitted our plans for this trip, we didn't have to get up at 3.00 am to be at the airport for a 5.00 am check-in, but if we pass through Colombo again, at a more social hour (flight times etc) we would use an outside hotel - they are cheaper on a room for room basis, but you would have transport costs to/from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Had a 12 hour layover in Colombo enroute from London to Singapore. The hotel is very conveniently located right above where many of the departure gates are so from plane to bed, its literally just a matter of minutes as you don't go through immigration. Had a really big room, and is nicely, albeit sparsely furnished. Comfortable bed, but thin pillows. Flat screen TV but quite small and due to the size of the room, a bit too far from the bed. The major downside is that none of the rooms have windows. I did ask if there was another room with windows and was told "No" in a rather exasperated tone - I imagine they are asked this every single time someone checks in ! For a comfortable place to sleep between flights, change and have a good shower, it was perfectly fine. There are no facilities though apart from a spa where I did get a good massage, but a dunk in a pool or jacuzzi would have been nice after a long flight. Found the staff quite miserable and not really making any effort, but when people are only there for a matter of hours unlikely to ever return again, I guess they think they don't need to. Was quite satisfied with it and did what I needed it to. Would recommend to others if they had a long layover in Colombo and couldn't leave the airport.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marshallh80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colombo
No photo provided
#6 of 15 in Katunayake
Airport City Hub
Airport City Hub
#1 of 16 in Katunayaka

Been to Serenediva Colombo Transit? Share your experiences!