“Needs must”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colombo
Serenediva Colombo Transit
Ranked #29 of 136 Specialty Lodging in Colombo
Australia
“Needs must”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I booked this transit hotel for our return flight from Europe, some weeks before travelling on our outward leg.
We arrived in Colombo on our outward journey so I thought I’d check the location of the hotel and check out the reception area. I’m glad that I did, because the receptionist couldn't find my booking! In the end I had to produce the e-mail with the booking reference number, after which everything fell in to place. If you use this hotel have your booking reference handy.

We arrived from Europe three weeks later, at 5.30 pm, so decided to make sure all was well. The booking was till in place, so we did not check-in at that time, but told the receptionist that we would be back around 8.00 pm, because we wanted a meal. Obviously, the later we checked–in the lower the overall cost. We did check-in around 8.30 pm and paid for the minimum of six hours ($55.00 USD), which took us to 2.30 am, followed by a further 3 hours at $15.00 US / hour to 5.30 am; our flight departed at 7.00 am.
The room (207) was an adequate size for two people. We only had our overnight bag as our suitcases had been tagged through to Bangkok – our final destination. The shower worked, but the hot water was a hit and miss affair – mainly a miss. The towels were on the thin side and small. I’m not particularly fat around the waist, but the towel only just wrapped around me, but I couldn't ‘link’ it to stop it falling down.
Our sleep was fitful – not sure if it was due to the travelling or the noise in the corridor outside our room (which was near reception). Splashes of light came through the ceiling from the rooms or work areas above. The hotel is run by Sri Lankan airline's catering division, so above us or near our room could have been the kitchens. Beside the wake up call at 4.45 am we were phoned again at 5.15 am to be aware that another hour would be charged at 5.30 am. We left at 5.25 am $100 USD lighter. As for breakfast, we waited until we were on the plane and consumed the food we’d heard being processed during our fitful sleep.
This transit hotel fitted our plans for this trip, we didn't have to get up at 3.00 am to be at the airport for a 5.00 am check-in, but if we pass through Colombo again, at a more social hour (flight times etc) we would use an outside hotel - they are cheaper on a room for room basis, but you would have transport costs to/from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Had a 12 hour layover in Colombo enroute from London to Singapore. The hotel is very conveniently located right above where many of the departure gates are so from plane to bed, its literally just a matter of minutes as you don't go through immigration. Had a really big room, and is nicely, albeit sparsely furnished. Comfortable bed, but thin pillows. Flat screen TV but quite small and due to the size of the room, a bit too far from the bed. The major downside is that none of the rooms have windows. I did ask if there was another room with windows and was told "No" in a rather exasperated tone - I imagine they are asked this every single time someone checks in ! For a comfortable place to sleep between flights, change and have a good shower, it was perfectly fine. There are no facilities though apart from a spa where I did get a good massage, but a dunk in a pool or jacuzzi would have been nice after a long flight. Found the staff quite miserable and not really making any effort, but when people are only there for a matter of hours unlikely to ever return again, I guess they think they don't need to. Was quite satisfied with it and did what I needed it to. Would recommend to others if they had a long layover in Colombo and couldn't leave the airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marshallh80
india
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel is just a couple of minutes walk from where you need to board your next flight. ( You need to wake up only an hour before boarding) The stay is basic but comfortable. A walk around and you could reach the duty frees , smoking rooms ( for those who smoke) easily. The Food Vouchers which the Hotel gives you is also Good. There are also many other eating outlets within the Airport. You could get the free wifi also ( not very fast)

If your stay for transit is more than 10 Hours better stay in a Transit Hotel Outside the Airport

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TejIndia
Bangkok
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The stay at Serenediva was a choice between staying at colombo airport or spending the night in Male (after arriving in Male at 1.25 am) so I chose to spend the night at Transit hotel serenediva. The room was big and the facility was good for a transit hotel. I spent 8 hours and end up paying 95 USD which is a bit steep but I think it is a better choice than spending the night in Male. Overall, it was an ok experience and the fact that the hotel was inside the transit area is the best thing about it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed here for 12 hours during a long stayover in Colombo; I thought it would be less hassle than getting a visa and leaving the airport. In hindsight, I wish I'd got a visa...

It started to go downhill at the reservation stage, I had to play email ping-pong with the hotel to make a reservation. They kept asking me for information I had already given them.

On arrival, when I eventually found the hotel -- it's buried away on the second floor, which you can only reach from the elevators near passport control -- I was given a less-than-warm welcome by the surly receptionist, who looked confused and fumbled with bits of paper as he tried to find confirmation of my reservation. Eventually, after handing over US$100 for 12 hours, I was given a key card and pointed to a room about 10 feet from the reception desk, directly off the lobby. When I asked if I could have a room in a quieter area, I was told simply "no".

The room was spacious and reasonably appointed, but seemed like a converted office. It was not very clean and a previous guest's sweaty shirt was still hanging in the wardrobe. Some of the lights didn't work and the TV reception and channel selection were abysmal.

I went to sleep on the bed, which had only a thin top sheet with no duvet or bedspread. I woke up cold and hungry, so I ordered breakfast from the in-room dining menu. The telephone was answered by a woman I couldn't understand, when I asked her for breakfast she just kept saying "sorry". Eventually, a man came to the phone and understood that I wanted breakfast. Before asking what I wanted for breakfast he said "credit card or dollars?"... I informed him I would like to pay in dollars. About 15-20 mins later, my breakfast arrived and I duely handed over $10 for my $8.50 breakfast. The man told me he didn't have any change. I told him to try reception. He came back a few minutes later and handed me $1 note before stomping off.

In summary: avoid like the plague, stay in a proper hotel in Colombo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Tomosan

Travelers are raving about these Colombo hotels

Chandigarh, India
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here for around 10 hours; paid fortune
equivalent to what I would have paid a TAJ hotel in Colombo (I just managed to save the transfer fare to the city & back)
Rooms nicely appointed
Service average
Food, strictly OK

Location is a big plus, as you have to go no where,
Boarding gate passage, take left, call elevator, the floor above is Serenediva

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ManuTyagi
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed December 24, 2012

as it is a transit hotel, couldnt expect anything better from them. small room, without much noice from the landing strip, nice place to take rest.

Nice Room Service, a little over priced for the time it is being allocated to us

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank AravindhMohan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colombo
The Gateway Hotel Airport Garden Colombo
#1 of 14 in Katunayaka
A4 Colombo Airport
A4 Colombo Airport
#2 of 14 in Katunayaka

Been to Serenediva Colombo Transit? Share your experiences!