“As good as is gets in Colombo”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Semondu

Semondu
Ranked #13 of 556 Restaurants in Colombo
Cuisines: Seafood, European, Asian, Sri Lankan, International, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London
“As good as is gets in Colombo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

We chose this restaurant for our last night in Sri Lanka as a way to celebrate. We thought we were going to end up paying a lot. Compared with the rest of Sri Lanka, it probably wasn't cheap, but for two people to gave an excellent meal, with wine, for about £40 (UK) is amazing. The seafood is top notch and there are some interesting flavour combinations on the menu. Make sure you start with a cocktail. They're great. The design of the restaurant is quite cool (high ceilings, big seats, etc) and the service was attentive without being cloying. Definitely worth putting your best glad rags on for if you've been on a budget holiday in Sri Lanka. One last splurge. Also, make sure you have a little peruse around the Dutch Hospital shopping complex before you eat. Lovely place.

• Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“You must go here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

We came to Sri Lanka for two weeks and stayed in Columbo for three days at the beginning of our holiday. We came to Semondu on our second night. We loved it so much we came back for our last night in the country. Why? It serves excellent food and the service was beautiful. Herath, our waiter on both occasions, was just perfect in every way and I really do want to impress this on readers.

On our second visit it was clear there was a local wedding party in for a pre or post wedding evening. They looked beautiful and Semondu matched them.

You must make the effort to come here.

Lower Hutt, New Zealand
“Fine dining at a great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I had been in Colombo for almost a week staying at the Galadari Hotel. I had already tried WIP but was checking out the restaurants on Trip Advisor and saw this was highly rated. Turning up at around 7pm for dinner on a Friday night, I was surprised to see the restaurant empty. Still I didn't have a problem even though I was dining by myself. I wandered in and was warmly welcomed by the staff. The decor was modern and upmarket with interesting use of lighting and coordinated serviettes. A generous bread basket appeared immediately and my drinks order taken quickly. While traveling I have always learnt to ask what is the restaurants signature dish and get the best ( and freshest) recommendation from the staff who know what is best value and taste on the menu. I wasn't disappointed by the knowledgeable maitre d whi quickly recommended the trio of seafood and a great walnut and strawberry salad to start. The salad wad light and refreshing the walnuts the freshest and tastiest I have ever eaten. The trio of seafood didn't disappoint either with a succulent piece of salmon, prawns snd two juicy, perfectly cooked lobster tails served on a potato rosti. Beautifully presented, it tasted as good as it looked. By now the restaurant was starting to fill up snd I was pleased to have arrived earlier and had the advice of the waiter. Finished off with a chocolate dessert which was nice but a little too much after the first two courses. All for the prcely sum of $25 usd with a cocktail included. Great value for such a nice meal and lovely surroundings.

1 Thank kiki_kiwi_11
Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, France
“Good service, good food, menu could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Had a really hard time to select a dish in the menu, wanted to make some changes but looks like flexibility was not possible. Unfortunetly the crab was a nightmare to eat, it came in a delicious curry sauce but had to use my hands to crack it open obviously my hands were full of curry... It's too bad cause they would have separated the sauce I would have put a better review. The ice cream was nice but mains are overpriced.

Visited April 2014
Colombo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasteless attempt to be posh”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

This restaurant has an airline food theme. Did they not realise that airline food is synonymous with being terrible? Only the kitchen did. The menu is limited, but a few dishes that can't go wrong, don't go horribly wrong.

But the attempt to be a fine dining restaurant falls flat on its face. The most that can be accomplished is rice and curry served elaborately. It's alright for a quick working lunch. Not much else.

• Visited December 2013