“Interesting but not so valuable”
Review of Dutch Museum

Dutch Museum
Ranked #65 of 151 things to do in Colombo
Reviewed December 24, 2012

The Dutch Museum offers a display of old dutch furniture, but does not any value in understanding on what happened during that period.

2  Thank vinylmeister
There are newer reviews for Dutch Museum

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I literally take a swooning glide back through the arches of history when I step into this place. I can just imagine thanks to the design of the museum what it was like in eons gone by

1  Thank ArjunaJ
Reviewed September 17, 2012

It's worth to see if anyone in a city tour of Colombo. we had to go through narrow but busy street to reach the Dutch museum. Not a huge or busy museum.low price rated tickets so worth visiting if you have time. but not a major attraction.

4  Thank ruwan19
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Dutch Period Museum was on my must see list the last time I was back in the country. To figure out my roots and explore it firsthand with Dutch relatives who were more than happy to translate the Dutch on maps/books/etc: into English. (I don't recall there being too much of an English translation for those)

The Museum itself was quite difficult to find by oneself and is best accessed with the help of a tuk tuk driver who knows the ins and outs of Pettah. Look for the tall white pillars that flank the sides of the museum. Once you do find it, you;ll notice that it is an oasis of sorts in the din that is in one of the most crowded, hectic areas of the country. Foreigners pay a slightly higher price to get in, not that it is a very significant amount either way.

A renovated colonial mansion, the museum is littered with artifacts, furniture, and other odds and ends. Items have descriptions and are put nicely into context. We forked out for tour guide who helped us with showing he hidden corners and drawers of furniture and let us get very hands on with what we with exhibits.
It was quite the experience.
Visit this place! Doubly so if you are Dutch Burgher, Dutch, or just curious about Sri Lanka's past.

2  Thank Jebediah_Solomon
Reviewed July 13, 2012

when i visited i got to know more about history and it was when i was schooling a really mean place that was a pure knowledge of the dutch and it was study for my social studies subject