“A 'Haven' indeed !!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colombo
Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 157 Colombo B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed here for the recent test match and cannot say enough about the superb hospitality from John and Shyamali. Nothing is too much trouble for this lovely couple and the breakfast's are fantastic. They cook everything whilst you wait and it just keeps on coming.
There were four of us and we stayed 7 nights using three rooms the Margossa, Bamboo and Palmyrah. The Bamboo is ensuite and all rooms were clean when we arrived. The towels and bed linen are changed on request. The only small critisicm is the decor of the Margassa room needs attention but that did not detract from the stay we had.

The 'Haven' is situated down a side road by the 'Carnival' ice cream parlour and handy for Galle Face Green, Inn on the Green and tuks are readily available.

Would recomend this to anyone who is using this as a base for sightseeing or day trips.

Room Tip: The Bamboo is the room with en-suite facilities,
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
jon_kr, Owner at Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2012

Dear David,
Thanks for your review. We thoroughly enjoyed hosting you and can't wait for the next time.

Thanks for your feedback about our decor in Margossa Den. It has been taken to heart and changes already made. We would continue to make changes for the better and appreciate your constructive feedback towards that.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nts in Sri Lanka.Airport transfer was arranged promptly at 1.30am.The room is clean,big and comfortable.John and his wife were very friendly and helpful.Arranged a good tuk tuk driver to send me to the seminar everyday. They prepared good breakfast and vegetarian dinner. They were so kind to show me around the temple.
Once again would like to say thank you for making my trip a safe and pleasant journey.
- K.T.Wah

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Dear K.T Wah,
Thanks for your review. We are very glad that you had a good stay with us. It was our pleasure hosting you and look forward to the next time.

Jon

Reviewed May 6, 2012

We choosed the Colombo Haven since we need an early Check-in and that guesthouse didn't charge a full night for that. Moreover, they organized an airport-pick-up for us.
The guesthouse has 4 rooms, of which each has its own bathroom now.
The breakfast-table (for all guests) is located directly next to the kitchen and Mr. Jon is happy to get in touch with you during the breakfast/lunch. The breakfast itself is great and you (can) get much more than you can eat :-)
The location of the hotel is good, a taxi to the FORT costs only 250 Rupees.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
jon_kr, Owner at Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Dear grafmoltke,
Thanks for your kind review. John and his wife and team enjoyed hosting you as well. We are glad you had a good stay with us and look forward to the next time.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

I checked out this property over internet and made bookings for Colombo Haven based on the reviews I saw here on tripadvisor and their website. I was impressed with the responsiveness and dealings with John.

When I landed up at this property i was very disappointed after seeing what they had to offer. The room eventhough looked OK, did not have attached bathrooms. The "exclusive bathroom" for the room was in a bad shape and was not clean. It also had used soaps and tooth brushes in the room. After staying in very good properties throughout our trip, we were in for a shock seeing the condition of Colombo Haven. We decided not to stay at this property and leave (even without a booking for any other place on a Christmas day).

The hosts John and his wife are real sweet human beings and was very understanding when we said we are leaving. John for sure is a fantastic host and tried his best to give us a different room that was being checked out later that day. Since we were skeptical after seeing our room, we proceeded to Park Street Hotel and stayed there.

Colombo Haven's USP is its location that is right on Galle Road and the lovely hosts John and his wife.

Again, please do not go by my word, I am just sharing my experience and I have no experience with staying at this property eventhough I intended to.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank InsaneNirvana

Dear InsaneNirvana,
Thanks for your review. We are sorry that you didn't end up staying with us. You visited us 5 months ago, in Dec last year and since then, we have made so many upgrades to our place. You might not even recognise the rooms and the bathrooms any more. Since your visit, we have added two new attached bathrooms and upgraded others. We hope you would try us the next time you are in town If not to stay, just even a visit to say hi to John and his wife an checkout the place.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

An idyllic little haven centrally located but tucked neatly away from the hustle on Galle Road. In all honesty I never slept better or ate better in my entire Sri Lankan stay! The staff were unbelievably kind and accommodating and made myself & family feel welcome from the get go.

Every morning we were awoken by incredible scents drifting from the kitchen and left with our tongues salivating by the amazing feast awaiting us. The food a mixture of traditional and western options (for the kids) was simply incredible. Specifically the Modha fish curry; the most exquisite thing my taste buds have encountered.

We were travelling with small children and found the staff most hospitable. The girls still won’t stop talking about how they miss their friend John! All in all, my experience at Colombo Haven was so delightful and relaxing. John, his wife and the other staff were so gorgeous and made us so comfortable, I cannot fault a single thing about our stay. I would recommend this B & B to any sort of traveller and assure you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear MimiB2012,
Thanks so much for your kind and detailed review. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting all of you as well. It was our absolute pleasure to have had the opportunity to be of service to you guys, specially the little ones. Can't wait for the next time you are in town.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was travelling on my own to begin with and decided on this B & B. I couldn't believe my luck with such friendly staff. John in particular told me about this restaurant across the road called Dosa King. at first I was apprehensive but went anyway and had probably one of the best and authentic experiences of my whole 10 day trip of Sri Lanka. The staff were gorgeous and the curry was fantastic and cheap. The breakfast at Colombo Haven was outstanding and have never seen so much food in my life. My room was very clean and comfortable although if staying a few days I would want one of the upstairs rooms. This B & B is very close to walk to Galle Face green which in the afternoons at sunset is just amazing to watch all the activity and of course the sunset. Thank you Colombo Haven for a great start to my impressions of Sri Lankan hospitality!

Room Tip: Walk to Galle Face Green at sunset you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
jon_kr, Owner at Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear QueenslandRoz,
Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. John and his team thoroughly enjoyed hosting you. We are very happy you enjoyed our breakfast, which is our pleasure to serve. Glad you had a good experience at the Dosa king as well. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but for those who want a local Dosa experience, it is definitely something to try.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Handily positioned on Galle road with easy access to transport. We stayed nine days here and cannot fault the service, the breakfasts were delicious and the staff extremely helpful.
However our stay was a little uncomfortable with all the renovations going on in this building at the time, there was no clock on/off time and the noisy and dusty work went on till the late hours and early the next morning. We had booked and paid in full for a tour into the interior through the Manager of this establishment but found the booking to be not what we paid for, and we had to argue our case and prove to the hotels with confirmation of emails etc. This has left us with some bad memories of an otherwise what would have been a perfect holiday.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marie L

Dear Marie L,
Thanks for your review. We are sorry to hear about your troubles with the tour. Sometimes, hotels do make mistakes with the type of room requested, but I believe it was sorted out when my manager contacted their head office.

I know that you appreciated the fact that my manager was able to negotiate a late checkout from your second hotel for no extra charge even though it was the high season and your plans changed at the last minute. You can also vouch for the fact that we gave you the best rates possible for these hotels. We also provided you with a late model car for the tour and I believe you appreciated all that. Thanks also for mentioning how well you were looked after when you were at Colombo Haven.

All that said, there were also some areas for improvement, specially around communication which could have been handled better, for which I apologise. As I mentioned when I spoke to the two of you over the phone, we would do our best to improve on our communication so that small issues don't get blown out of proportion on all sides and sour an experience, in your own words, would have otherwise been perfect.